Sponsored by:

They can't do this can they?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 04:28 AM
PhatPhlatSix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt

What is next telling us we can't drive our vintage cars on the street because they pollute to much and don't fit their ideal of how a car should perform.
Unfortunately this will happen. Once electric, and also driverless, vehicles become established, it will be uncool and one day criminal to drive the old unsafe, polluting behemoths. Just look what happened to cigarette smoking....
Old 02-10-2016, 04:46 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would rather friggin walk than entertain the idea of a driverless car. If provided as a 'public transport' and confined to the very centre of large cities I could just about tolerate it (but still not use it). Nothing gets on my goat more than this concept. A pointless technology for those who prefer an empty existence, devoid of the richness of real life.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:53 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Freedom!!!

Oh, euhm, hang on a minute.... NOT!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:39 AM
Canneryrow
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
C.S.Lewis.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:14 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Now that was good - Lewis paints a clear picture with words. Where are the 1960's?
Old 02-10-2016, 09:44 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by PhatPhlatSix
Unfortunately this will happen. Once electric, and also driverless, vehicles become established, it will be uncool and one day criminal to drive the old unsafe, polluting behemoths. Just look what happened to cigarette smoking....
Originally Posted by robt964
I would rather friggin walk than entertain the idea of a driverless car. If provided as a 'public transport' and confined to the very centre of large cities I could just about tolerate it (but still not use it). Nothing gets on my goat more than this concept. A pointless technology for those who prefer an empty existence, devoid of the richness of real life.
Originally Posted by Canneryrow
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
C.S.Lewis.
Well sadly Obama has achieved his goal. After meeting him back in the 80's I knew he was trouble and I have threads from before he was elected stating he will attack and destroy our individual freedoms to bring everyone down the the same level for the good of his vision of the whole. The educated and morons alike have equal say in how our children's future will be handled. Right and wrong redefined to one individual's design. As far as I am concerned we have nobody to blame but ourselves for not standing up to his tyranny. Sadly now we have a menagerie of imbeciles battling out how our future will be further ruined. I wish the days of the lesser of two evils was back. I feel sorry for our children but they won't know what they have lost.

Saddly in the interest of the masses independent thought will be frowned upon disguised as the protection of our freedoms and if you are not one of the masses being driven around in a driverless car void of original thought you are the enemy. I have no doubt this is not what our founding fathers had in mind.

I find this all so sad but even the Audi club has taken it to the next level and this is part of their bylaws. Where does it go from here?

No autonomous vehicles are allowed to participate at any Audi Club Driving School or
Clinic, unless it is included in the attached ACNA Vehicle Participation Exception List
(updated annually). As these vehicles become more common in testing, or when they are
approved for use on public roads and released as formal products, they may be
demonstrated as a special interest in Audi Club events with appropriate demonstration
setting and approval by event officials. Autonomous or driverless vehicles be not mixed
with run groups of the primary ACNA driver training mission.
Sorry for the rant but our future is not the bright one I was promised and grew up believing in.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Unfortunately there is demand for electric vehicles. Without it there wouldn't be any. We will always be able to drive our cars. However, when the day comes most vehicles are electric and driverless our insurance rates will be outrages.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:18 AM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Ohh and move to Montana or ND or something where no one gives a **** because they all drive big diesel trucks that smokes like a factory
I fell for the California people.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:55 AM
kokolyia
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I really don't think driverless cars are the future. Humans tend to like some feeling of control and most companies (except Google) know this. What is probably going to happen is newer cars will have the ability to switch to manual mode or autonomous mode. Audi has already developed an RS7 concept that does exactly that. As long as there are car people and companies, driverless cars will not take over. Here's hoping I never have to eat those words...
Old 02-10-2016, 11:13 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kokolyia
I really don't think driverless cars are the future. Humans tend to like some feeling of control and most companies (except Google) know this. What is probably going to happen is newer cars will have the ability to switch to manual mode or autonomous mode. Audi has already developed an RS7 concept that does exactly that. As long as there are car people and companies, driverless cars will not take over. Here's hoping I never have to eat those words...
Maybe not but I can see legislation to mandate HOV lanes at some point requiring X number of people and driverless electric cars only. After watching my son take his driver's test last year knowing he already was a superior driver to the average idiot on the road and seeing people needing 7 or 8 tries to parallel park in a 30 foot long parking space and still pass maybe it isn't such a bad thing.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:22 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The way people drive now, doesn't surprise me there are going to be driverless cars. From what I see all people want to do when there in their cars now is use their smartphone. No one pays attention. I see that b.s. every time I drive now. The new generation is even worse. Face it, the idiots are taking over.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:36 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Even the Audi club has taken it to the next level.
No autonomous vehicles are allowed to participate at any Audi Club Driving School or Clinic [...] Autonomous or driverless vehicles be not mixed with run groups of the primary ACNA driver training mission.
Am I the only one seeing the irony in this? Why even bother attending a driving school/clinic if you prefer autonomous/driverless car?

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
Face it, the idiots are taking over.
They already have, they are simply extending their reach.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:33 PM
PhatPhlatSix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing that is happening is that our roads are becoming more and more crowded. Sorry to sound like the eternal pessimist but, one day in the not too distant future we will be in constant bumper to bumper traffic. This already exists in cities during rush hour... but it is spreading to motorway infrasturctures - anyone living in UK southeast, just take a look at the M25, M4, M3, M1 in the morning and evening. The ever increasing population and city spread makes this worse.

So soon we will be in bumper to bumper everywhere we go. What'll then be the point of driving when the car can do it for you? Personally I hope I'm long dead before this happens, but it will.... unless we find another planet to export people to.

We need to enjoy this driving lark while we still can.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:38 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...ctually-means/
Old 02-10-2016, 09:56 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
The way people drive now, doesn't surprise me there are going to be driverless cars. From what I see all people want to do when there in their cars now is use their smartphone. No one pays attention. I see that b.s. every time I drive now. The new generation is even worse. Face it, the idiots are taking over.
I really don't understand the people who use their phones while driving! In my opinion, the best thing to combat texting and driving is to force everyone to drive a manual. Send that text if you want but your engine will blow

Last edited by kokolyia; 02-11-2016 at 02:01 AM.

Quick Reply: They can't do this can they?