Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Piston Rear Brake Pad Replacement

Old 11-27-2015, 04:23 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Dual Piston Rear Brake Pad Replacement

So the rear brake pads on my car (1990 C2 with dual piston rear brake calipers) have been squealing terribly when applying light pedal pressure at stoplights, etc. Textar T400 pads were recently installed maybe 2,000 miles ago.

I was wanting to install new Porsche pads so I have removed the old ones.

When I remove the pads, these shims are pressed into the caliper pistons, but there is a film of grease between them and the back of the brake pads. I was under the impression these were supposed to be glued to the back of the pads.

What is the proper procedure here?

Also, is it recommended the put a thin film of Sil-glyde on the retaining pins or leave them dry?

Thanks !

R.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:02 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

The brake pad dampers that clip into the pistons have an adhesive on them to stick to the back of the brake pads. They didn't really work for me so I bought some anti squeal inserts which did the trick for me during low speed braking. Some people like the Wurth spray on product as well. I still used the brake pad dampers that clip into the pistons.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:54 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the reply Ricardo. I followed you up until the last sentence.

I am finding on other non-964 forums that some people omit the spider shims, some use the Wurth spray, some use another adhesive, etc. Not finding a clear path here. It's seems to all depand on the brake pads people are running, etc. etc.

Thinking that I clean up these Textar pads really well, remove the spider shims and put it all back together. I have some Porsche pads on order. If Plan A doesn't work, maybe we go with Plan B or, another idea .
Old 11-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Have you tried re-bedding the brakes? Everytime mine start to squeal, a good re-bedding to clean off the rotors is all that has been needed.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:18 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

My 2-pistons would squeak at times too. Usually when cold. I never tried to solve it.

Now that I have the 4-pistons, I'm running Axxis XBG Semi-Metallic (fka Metal Masters) on both axles, totally dry (no grease, no backing pads, nada) and they're quiet. The only time they get squeaky is when hot, which usually only occurs if I do 3-4 back-to-back-to-back autocross runs.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:42 AM
deadendd9009
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For some reason (might be in my head) after bleeding my brakes, they were a lot quieter.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:17 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

I went down the same research path you did Robert to solve my squealing brake problem. I used all stock pads. Yes, you here different people advertise different results. You just have to try it. The stock setup with the stock brake pad dampers did not work. The shims are what helped my situation.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:18 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Well, while waiting for my Porsche pads, I removed the Textar pads, cleaned everything up (as there was grease on the back of the pads), removed the spider shims (finding one of the four was missing), cleaned the retaining pins, "polished" them up with 600 paper, lightly lubed the pins with Syl-Glide, and re-assembled, without the spider shims, no grease, otherwise dry.

I'll re-bed the pads and see where we are. If they still squeak, in go the Porsche pads.

I've got cleaning to do on the undercarriage, so no big issue to put it back on the Esco stands.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:47 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Super90
I've got cleaning to do on the undercarriage, so no big issue to put it back on the Esco stands.
WD-40 does a great job of removing the cosmoline (brown wax stuff covering all the undercarriage). Buy a jug of that stuff and put it in a spray bottle. Spray, soak, brush, repeat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dual Piston Rear Brake Pad Replacement