Sponsored by:

Mild leak and odd electrical behavior

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 10:53 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mild leak and odd electrical behavior

A few weeks ago when backing out of the driveway my 1989 C4 acted odd with the electrics in the car seemingly restarting (radio, radar detector, head lights). I pulled it back in the garage. Seemingly the batter had finally given up the long fight, and I replaced it with a new one. Things seemed great for another week, but last night I had some of the same behavior. One common aspect was that it was wet/raining both times. I've started to look for a leak, and found that under the passenger side, one of the wires passing through the body was slightly wet.

This morning after a wet ride, I pulled in and started to look for moisture, based on previous threads about leaks. I believe I have found that my windshield washers are the source, as both seem wet underneath. One of the previous threads mentioned cleaning the gasket that goes between the washer nozzle and the body, but I apparently do not have any gasket.

On the hope that the leak is the source of the electrical issues, is there supposed to be a gasket between the windshield washer nozzle and the body?

Mine look like:

Old 11-27-2015, 11:53 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PET illustration 904-10; no gasket shown.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:04 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Someone else on here was having a similar issue and said that the gasket comes with the nozzles. Not a separate part or part#.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:21 PM
Canneryrow
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rain may be part of the problem. But, not in as obvious way as one would expect.

The problem could be A 'lazy' alternator. The battery has been drained somewhat by being idle and wth the extra pull from the wipers, radio, lights etc on start up, the alternator doesn't generate enough boost from idle. Get the revs up a bit on start up and that problem should clear.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:22 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Originally Posted by Vandit
Someone else on here was having a similar issue and said that the gasket comes with the nozzles. Not a separate part or part#.
Seems pretty plausible, but I feel like it is wasted money to spend $100 for 2 gaskets. Could anyone confirm if there are gaskets that are part of the heated washer nozzle assembly?

Originally Posted by Canneryrow
Rain may be part of the problem. But, not in as obvious way as one would expect.

The problem could be A 'lazy' alternator. The battery has been drained somewhat by being idle and wth the extra pull from the wipers, radio, lights etc on start up, the alternator doesn't generate enough boost from idle. Get the revs up a bit on start up and that problem should clear.
I considered that at first. Idle voltage is 13.79 so I'm not too confident that may be the case. I'd also expect this to show up at times other than rainy, but the extra load of lights/wipers could account for it.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:37 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Confirmation.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...zle-seals.html
Old 11-28-2015, 12:05 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

Thanks Vandit. Looks like I can see silly expensive gaskets in my future. It's certainly cheaper than any electrical issues due to water damage.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:43 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

Quick update. A few weeks went by with no issues. Then it returned. This time the weather was bone dry. I checked and the alternator was putting out about 12V. I have since replaced the alternator and again the issue has gone away. Hopefully this was all due to that 'lazy alternator'
Old 02-14-2016, 05:49 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

your alternator should be producing 13.8-14.4 volts at idle.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:45 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

I'd just like to go on record that I hate electricity when it doesn't behave. A few more weeks went by with no issues. The all of the sudden it returned again with low voltage. Another look at the system found a somewhat questionable ground cable to the battery. I've replace that with a new one, and also have the trans/body ground strap to replace. Here's to hoping that was the problem. (note: I should have actually replaced these ground straps before instead of inspection but jumped right over a possible cheap solution )
Old 03-31-2016, 10:41 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you looked for current drain with the key out? There are a couple odd aspects of these cars that can lead to the battery draining, like for example didja know that the engine department/frunk/love department lamps are all connected? A bad or intermittent switch in any of those locations can be quite vexing.

Quick Reply: Mild leak and odd electrical behavior