Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome thread and build!
Old 01-09-2017, 09:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
A point on the seat mount reinforcements. Talked to shop about this, they've done on several AC cars and will basically build a new set of floor mounts welded and reinforced to the chassis vs. just reinforcing what is there. I think this is a really critical mod (i.e. do SOMETHING) for anyone that is tracking the car. The OEM mount points are really quite flimsy.

I'll get some pics posted of this mod when the work starts. (scheduled end of month, had to slip my RS in there for some new shocks! )
The left side front drivers seat mount especially. I have seen numerous 964's have these fail after tracking them for a while.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
The left side front drivers seat mount especially. I have seen numerous 964's have these fail after tracking them for a while.
Yes you really do not want your seat breaking loose :-) That seat staying put is critical for rest of safety system to work!
Old 01-13-2017, 04:05 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Got around to this tonight. Since I am on electrical kick with this and my 89 (fixed autoheat yesterday on that one)... I tackled wiring the manual override for the high speed oil cooler fan.

As is well documented you tap into the green black wire in G12 on the ccu plug. Cut it. (I fking hate cutting wires... ). Connect 2 wires to either end, run to a switch on/off. When you flip it ccu thinks oil cooler sensor failed and runs fan at high speed great for track days.

Anyway waning to use the existing rear wiper spot on my dash which I've removed from the car, I found that the switch from the g body cars for rear wiper is first identical size but an on off switch, not momentary like on the 964. Part 91161332101 So, ran 2 wires from this to the ccu.

Oh year, running wires from the upper dash to lower dash is a pain in the aass. There is a big grommet behind the speedometer that you can fish the wires through. I used some sheathing on the wire pairs and made it look nice and neat. Use zip ties etc. coat hanger to fish the wire through the grommet.

And, a piece of black matte decal film to cover the wiper icon. It's a no label secret switch.

Tested, works great.

Did I say routing that wire was a pita? What should have taken me 30 minutes to do took me 2+ hours.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:02 AM
Mezger
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you mind to share a picture?
Thanks Chris
Old 01-13-2017, 10:21 AM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

While you are at it you should rig up a rear tail light cutoff for those midnight canyon runs ala Steve Mcqueens 930.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mezger
Would you mind to share a picture?
Thanks Chris

Of the switch or??

Originally Posted by 02m2
While you are at it you should rig up a rear tail light cutoff for those midnight canyon runs ala Steve Mcqueens 930.
Now that's an idea....
Old 01-15-2017, 03:31 AM
Mezger
Instructor

I would love to see a picture where you exactly connected the new wires.
Thank you and have a great Sunday.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:38 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mezger
I would love to see a picture where you exactly connected the new wires.
Thank you and have a great Sunday.
Ok I didn't take any pics of the process this time around

The function is simple assuming your oil cooler fan system is working (ccu, relays fan oil temp sensor, wiring)
Pull out the ccu and locate the green/black wire in position g12
Cut it
Run a wire from each side of the cut wire to a switch (I used a 911 rear washer switch in the oem location). I used wire crimp connectors. Usually I solder but there isn't much wire here and access was tight.
It's this switch, connected circuit is normal fan operation
Open circuit is fan high speed operation

See here
http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...verride_Switch

Pic of plug with numbered wires
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post12215687
Old 01-16-2017, 02:36 AM
Mezger
Instructor

Oh great!
Thank you very much Spyrex.
That explains everything very well!
Old 01-16-2017, 02:39 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Yes basically this is the same as unplugging your oil sensor on the front oil cooler. Ccu thinks sensor bad so as safety mechanism runs fan full speed.

It works quite well. Old trick. I think original posts on this are form 2004 :-)
Old 01-22-2017, 01:45 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Continue to stockpile parts... 993 RS front brake shields arrived (will be modified per Bill's posts), and the starter bushing that didn't come with my starter came in.

Shop has an A/C they have been having some issues with as soon as that is off it's lift mine goes in its place. Probably in next week or 2.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:54 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Ok I didn't take any pics of the process this time around

The function is simple assuming your oil cooler fan system is working (ccu, relays fan oil temp sensor, wiring)
Pull out the ccu and locate the green/black wire in position g12
Cut it
Run a wire from each side of the cut wire to a switch (I used a 911 rear washer switch in the oem location). I used wire crimp connectors. Usually I solder but there isn't much wire here and access was tight.
It's this switch, connected circuit is normal fan operation
Open circuit is fan high speed operation

See here
http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...verride_Switch

Pic of plug with numbered wires
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post12215687
If your intention is to override the oil fan via CCU and have control of the fan why not just remove the relay in the fuse box and use spade connectors to tap into the circuit and power the fan. You can just jumper it on with the ignition or run wires to the dash. Eliminates the need to cut your harness. You can get a three way toggle and have two speeds as well. Just more wiring.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:36 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
If your intention is to override the oil fan via CCU and have control of the fan why not just remove the relay in the fuse box and use spade connectors to tap into the circuit and power the fan. You can just jumper it on with the ignition or run wires to the dash. Eliminates the need to cut your harness. You can get a three way toggle and have two speeds as well. Just more wiring.
Yes it would have been easy to do that, but, I wanted best of both worlds. Auto control now works (low and high speeds) with a lower trigger point. But, wanted a manual trigger for track use. Keep in mind I also have a 2nd oil cooler going on.

I 'really' don't want or like heating issues. And when I'm running when its 105 out, you need good cooling obviously.
This should also give me the bits i need for the eventual 3.8 or 3.9L build :-) to keep it cool.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:12 PM
TEUTONIC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful build! If I could put E88s on every car I own I would.

Quick Reply: My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread