Sponsored by:

WTB: 964 C2 hardtop manual trans

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:32 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews
Still on the search guys. I've come close on 1 car that I may still move on, but it wasn't quite right. Let me know what you see. Cars with performance bolt ons are ok.
FYI...WTB threads are a no-no for non members (aka Users). I don't agree or disagree with the rules....just thought you'd want to know if your thread suddenly disappears. Good luck with your search
Old 11-14-2015, 05:53 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Which car do you buy?

getting closer.

Matt

Last edited by Matt Andrews; 11-17-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:04 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really enough info to make a decision. But based on your criteria the red 94 looks like the one for you.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:37 AM
donoman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

black one sounds more solid. And it's cheaper.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:39 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I found a white 964 coupe manual under 50 k miles and for under 40 k dollars for sale in my town in so cal pm me
Old 11-17-2015, 01:18 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by 911661
I found a white 964 coupe manual under 50 k miles and for under 40 k dollars for sale in my town in so cal pm me
buy it now.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i think that's in bakersfield and it's sold.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:14 AM
Slantnoseturbo
AutoX

I would be interested in that red/tan 94 with 77k if it is still available and you don't want. I missed the one that just sold in Bakersfield anyone know what happened to that car?
Old 11-17-2015, 03:05 AM
Netbug
Rennlist Member

dealer bought it in NY and resold for more $.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:17 AM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate dealers. They're ruining the entire market by flipping these cars for profit. Various dealers have scouts all over the country with cash in hand ready to buy either sight unseen or on the spot. In times like this they can't lose. Even if the car is a dud they can at least break even. No time for a PPI or to wait and think about it. When you have a dealer and a willing/desperate seller who doesn't want to deal with a difficult or meticulous buyer "wasting" time with a ton of questions and PPI, you basically have no time to make a sound decision. Basically you snooze you lose. It's not the traditional way to buy a Porsche for the enthusiast unfortunately but times have changed. Most if not all of the transactions I have seen within the past 6 months have taken place within a 24h period. The market's messed up and dealers are partly to blame. I was very fortunate to have a seller willing to take his time over 1 whole month in a market like this to answer all my questions and allow me to make a sound decision to buy my 964 sight unseen. I'm from SoCal but found that I would have more time to make a decision and a better chance at finding a car if I look outside the states so I brought this car in from Toronto, Canada. Most US dealers aren't willing to buy sight unseen or within a 24 hr span on a car from out of the country because if they're going to flip it for profit, they'll have to factor in transportation costs, customs tax/fees, and the delay in getting the car titled here in the states. To a regular buyer, this can play to your advantage as it did for me because it allowed just a little more breathing room to make a sound decision
Old 11-17-2015, 09:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

You snooze you loose. If your in the market you need to be ready to pounce. There is no time to dwell on little things and a few grand should not sway your decision if it is a sound car. Dealers have been discussed and doing this since forever. Nothing has changed just be ready with cash in hand and decide which is most important to you cosmetics or mechanicals. There are a ton of buyers out there that just want a good car at any price and dealers are their source, why shouldn't they make a buck?
Old 11-17-2015, 10:05 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaRX
I hate dealers. They're ruining the entire market by flipping these cars for profit.
Honest dealers serve a purpose and there is nothing wrong with making money, they are a for profit organization after all, just like your employer is (or you if a business owner). The ones giving the industry a bad name and leaving a sour taste in buyer's mouths are the shady ones with low morals. There are a handful of known dealers ruining it for everyone but there are also some good ones that will stand behind their reputation.

The market is hot which means that as a buyer, you have to know exactly what you are looking for, what risk level you are comfortable with, and be able to make a speedy decision.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:11 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
amazon green is a great color! More blue than green, finally saw one live.
Agreed...everyone thinks my car is blue until they see it in a bright sunlight. Then they notice a tint of green.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:54 AM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Thank you to those that offered advice. My car arrived today. I ended up buying a red/tan 1994 c2 with 73k/mi. Leak down showed ~6% per cylinder. Everything but the radio works.

Needs a good bath. I'll post pictures once I get it cleaned up. And again, thanks to those who offered words of advice or pointed me towards cars...

Matt
Old 11-26-2015, 01:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
You snooze you loose. If your in the market you need to be ready to pounce. There is no time to dwell on little things and a few grand should not sway your decision if it is a sound car. Dealers have been discussed and doing this since forever. Nothing has changed just be ready with cash in hand and decide which is most important to you cosmetics or mechanicals. There are a ton of buyers out there that just want a good car at any price and dealers are their source, why shouldn't they make a buck?
right on

Originally Posted by FormulaRX
I hate dealers. They're ruining the entire market by flipping these cars for profit. Various dealers have scouts all over the country with cash in hand ready to buy either sight unseen or on the spot. In times like this they can't lose. Even if the car is a dud they can at least break even. No time for a PPI or to wait and think about it. When you have a dealer and a willing/desperate seller who doesn't want to deal with a difficult or meticulous buyer "wasting" time with a ton of questions and PPI, you basically have no time to make a sound decision. Basically you snooze you lose. It's not the traditional way to buy a Porsche for the enthusiast unfortunately but times have changed. Most if not all of the transactions I have seen within the past 6 months have taken place within a 24h period. The market's messed up and dealers are partly to blame. I was very fortunate to have a seller willing to take his time over 1 whole month in a market like this to answer all my questions and allow me to make a sound decision to buy my 964 sight unseen. I'm from SoCal but found that I would have more time to make a decision and a better chance at finding a car if I look outside the states so I brought this car in from Toronto, Canada. Most US dealers aren't willing to buy sight unseen or within a 24 hr span on a car from out of the country because if they're going to flip it for profit, they'll have to factor in transportation costs, customs tax/fees, and the delay in getting the car titled here in the states. To a regular buyer, this can play to your advantage as it did for me because it allowed just a little more breathing room to make a sound decision
dealers take a lot of risk. if they bought a dud, they wont break even. they lose money. but hopeufally of the 100 cars they buy, the make money on enough of them to make net profit. and as a seller, i would take path of least resistance, dealers wire fast and ask few questions but they pay lower. as a buyer, i see a car that more or less fits my needs, i will buy. these are 20+ year old cars. they wont be perfect. even the extremley expensive cars (i have paid 6 figures for plain jane 911 G bodies just recently. very nice, but not perfect as the $ would suggest). everyone has a different strategy. if yours didn't work, try another.

that said i do sell to private enthusiasts. in fact a RL just bought one of my car and made a thread of his own build. he flew in, drove the car, asked can he ask for a discount. i said sure, maybe 2000 off. he wrote the check and drove the car home same day.

Quick Reply: WTB: 964 C2 hardtop manual trans