Sponsored by:

PDAS - seeking knowledge ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 02:07 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDAS - seeking knowledge ???

Not to beat a dead horse... I read all Adrian's notes i could find and own his book. That said, i am still confused. Could someone tell me what i have right and wrong and answer my questions;

- longitude and lateral locks in real time getting wheel speed sensor and accelerometer feedback, thereby, engauging and disengauging locks real time ?

- tap break pedal unlocks, contradicts my previous statement above

- fully explain use of console switch? Can it be activated going 10 mph or 40 mph? As I am colorblind never noted multi colors on light at switch? Does it flicker on/off real time ?
Old 10-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by C4inLA
Not to beat a dead horse... I read all Adrian's notes i could find and own his book. That said, i am still confused. Could someone tell me what i have right and wrong and answer my questions;

- longitude and lateral locks in real time getting wheel speed sensor and accelerometer feedback, thereby, engauging and disengauging locks real time ?

- tap break pedal unlocks, contradicts my previous statement above

- fully explain use of console switch? Can it be activated going 10 mph or 40 mph? As I am colorblind never noted multi colors on light at switch? Does it flicker on/off real time ?
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2015, 10:12 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Dang it... That is page 26 in my RTFM I see it says in bold must not be activated if wheels are slipping. What about driving along at say 15mph on a normal drive and the switch is turned on ?

My original questions about real time functioning? Still seeking to understand? For example, thought I read that some said, accelerating hard out of turn, lock or locks will sense and engage? If so, does light on console switch flicker or come on?
Old 10-03-2015, 04:06 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dang it... That is page 26 in my RTFM I see it says in bold must not be activated if wheels are slipping. What about driving along at say 15mph on a normal drive and the switch is turned on ?

My original questions about real time functioning? Still seeking to understand? For example, thought I read that some said, accelerating hard out of turn, lock or locks will sense and engage? If so, does light on console switch flicker or come on?
To the second q, Yes, the tiny yellow lamp does come on, mostly when you hit bumps.

If you fit a bulb in the green pdas activation lamp that is in the oil pressure/temp gauge, you be able to see when it activates much more easily.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:18 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Gonna look into the gauge ... Thx!
Old 10-04-2015, 08:29 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The instrument dial light mod didn't work in my car. Just note it's not guaranteed.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:29 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also if you're seeking to understand it's real function, find a safe place when it's wet or slippery and really give it the beans. You'll feel the progressive lockups of the center and rear diff. What happens in a stock car is that you will end up with progressive levels of understeer until it becomes quite noticeable.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:55 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Somebody mess up and try to engage console switch when wheels slipping? Know you're out there, what happened? Manual says DO NOT switch on during such event....

So, switching on while turning corner just hitting second gear, no issue?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

.....So, switching on while turning corner just hitting second gear, no issue?
Could be a brain issue! Why would you want to lock the diff's when the wheels are rotating at different rates?

Old 10-05-2015, 08:57 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Yes, brain, feed the brain ....

Thanks TB, I have never heard "progressive locking" term used for the PDAS? Brain food for sure...

Mr,. APPS, A thought; A soccer Mom is driving the C4 while the new Range Rover is being serviced and her son Johnny needs a ride home from after school detention .... As she turns out of the school lot and hits second gear, Johnny says what's this do Mum and turns the console switch? Did he just shave some diff gears? Shave a slave rod in half? Did Ferdinand and team plan for such an event in ABS/PDAS control unit?

I can ask another way; List as many ways as known that one can damage PDAS components from inside drivers seat or through incorrect maintenance...

Just looking for FACTS Mr. APPS, not your opinions....
Old 10-06-2015, 04:45 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Yes, brain, feed the brain ....Just looking for FACTS Mr. APPS, not your opinions....
No offence intended; you were seeking opinions but clearly not humorous ones. Good luck with "Johnny".

Last edited by Harry Apps; 10-06-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:38 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Poor Johnny gets the blame for just about everything ...
Old 10-07-2015, 12:35 PM
jlmartin94
Advanced

Hi ,
what I learned from my research thaht i do 2 year ago ( some trouble with the red "!" warning light jsute after the motior strt .. -> low voltage issue .. ) I can tell you this :
- above 40km/h ~25 mph ( don't remeber the exact speed ) the system is not engaging anymore .. -> it's the way to have the car tested on 2 "roller" only when performing the technical control every two year ( I'm french .. )

- tapping the brake while the system is engaged stop the wheel from rotating just enought to "fake" the PDAS box the car is runing, which leads to disengage the two locks

Quick Reply: PDAS - seeking knowledge ???