Sponsored by:

REALISTIC 964 C2 Coupe values

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 05:07 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
He paid $31k for it from Holt in November 2012 with 42k miles, looks like he put on 10k in the past ~3 years and has now "lowered the price" to $55k. Will be interested to learn the sale price on this one.
Looks like it's possibly been modified too (wheels/suspension at minimum) just from the photos. The money is in stock cars.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:26 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
Looks like it's possibly been modified too (wheels/suspension at minimum) just from the photos. The money is in stock cars.
IMO, any mod that can be reverted to stock isn't an issue. Frankly, I don't know anyone who wants a totally stock 964, unless it's a RSA, RS or the like. Properly modified cars that improve the performance and aesthetics over stock (with all original parts stored and packaged) are the most sought-after. Additionally, they must be properly maintained with all documentation.

This C4 may very well be worth $55k. But, a bunch of quality pics, a carfax and repair/maintenance documents presented will certainly help find this car a new owner.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:53 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RallyeChris
IMO, any mod that can be reverted to stock isn't an issue. Frankly, I don't know anyone who wants a totally stock 964, unless it's a RSA, RS or the like. Properly modified cars that improve the performance and aesthetics over stock (with all original parts stored and packaged) are the most sought-after. Additionally, they must be properly maintained with all documentation.

This C4 may very well be worth $55k. But, a bunch of quality pics, a carfax and repair/maintenance documents presented will certainly help find this car a new owner.
On the contrary I think most buyers want a stock 964, or any air-cooled 911 for that matter. I've seen very few (if any) 'mods' that improve factory aesthetics. From watching the market, often times the more a car has been modified, the longer it sits with continuous bumps and price drops.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:12 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

On the contrary I think most buyers want a stock 964, or any air-cooled 911 for that matter. I've seen very few (if any) 'mods' that improve factory aesthetics. From watching the market, often times the more a car has been modified, the longer it sits with continuous bumps and price drops.
If you say so...

I guess we are observing two different 964 markets.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:25 PM
peter_jansen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that a suspension upgrade should not hurt values. Would someone really pay more for the old components still in? Please advise as I'm about to swap out the old shocks and springs. They have 79k on them
Old 09-28-2015, 09:57 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by peter_jansen
I would think that a suspension upgrade should not hurt values. Would someone really pay more for the old components still in? Please advise as I'm about to swap out the old shocks and springs. They have 79k on them
Not with 79k miles on them. Wouldn't hurt to save if you have the space.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:21 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peter_jansen
Shocks and springs? No that won't hurt the value and will transform the car. Now if you're going to slam the car, add aftermarket wheels, alter the interior, etc. That's another story.

Originally Posted by RallyeChris
If you say so...
It's common knowledge and I'm far from the only one who says it.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:25 PM
peter_jansen
Instructor

Shocks and springs? No that won't hurt the value and will transform the car. Now if you're going to slam the car, add aftermarket wheels, alter the interior, etc. That's another story.It's common knowledge and I'm far from the only one who says it.
That's what I thought. No to the other stuff but that's just due to preference. My kids will have to decide on sale value when I'm long gone.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:19 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

If I had a choice I would always buy a car that is already sorted and pay a premium for it. Having owned a stock low mileage 993 and 964 I can say for sure that 20 year old cars a truly transformed with new suspension and some basics reversible mods.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:14 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Not wanting to get into a C2 vs C4 debate as there are tons of those threads.

Good article on the difference to one observer ...

http://www.performance2and4.co.uk/964di_1_n.htm

I guess I have the equivalent to the red headed step child of 911s (sorry do not mean to offend red headed step children) ......

Cons:
- 1990 so it is pre 1992
- C4
- lots of mods (Strosek)
- 964 and not 993

Pros:
- 36,000 documented KM at time of purchase (equivalent to 22,000 miles) but to others this is a con as it means it has not been driven enough. Still has only 51,000 KM today.

I didn't consider any of this when I bought her 10 years ago. In fact I was paid over CAD$45,000 for her back in 2005. It was almost 993 money at that time.

Unfortunately for me I just loved the look and just had to buy it without looking at all the cons of buying a 1990 C4 Strosek modified 964.

Good thing I have never thought of my 964 as an investment as clearly it has not done well due to the above noted criteria. But I justify it as good stress relief. Unbelievable feeling when I go for a good run after a bad day of work.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:34 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

964 rather than 993? That is a pro, not a con!
Old 09-29-2015, 01:41 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Canuck964, your car looks great! Like the rear stance and the scoops up front look really good. Some serious tires you're sporting! Canadian winters no doubt. Cheers,

As for the modify vs. don't modify for value, my 2c is I prefer tasteful modification. What's 'tasteful' is subjective, of course, but I hate to see owners cling to originality for purely value reasons. This said, I totally understand it and don't disparage others for staying stock, especially if they're staying stock for purity of brand reasons. I've sold other classics because of feeling confined to originality and this is a big part of the reason I bought my 964. Part of the reason I went air-cooled 911 at all was for the outlaw aspect of the cars. I personally really like the idea of tailoring a car to suit my specific driving and design wants but maintaining the 911 brand identity and purpose.

I do agree that as these cars increase in value, originality will be paramount for keeping pace with prices. I find it a bit of a shame.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:14 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmistry
Canuck964, your car looks great! Like the rear stance and the scoops up front look really good. Some serious tires you're sporting! Canadian winters no doubt. Cheers,
+1 Fastest color!

Originally Posted by Tmistry
As for the modify vs. don't modify for value, my 2c is I prefer tasteful modification. What's 'tasteful' is subjective, of course, but I hate to see owners cling to originality for purely value reasons. This said, I totally understand it and don't disparage others for staying stock, especially if they're staying stock for purity of brand reasons. I've sold other classics because of feeling confined to originality and this is a big part of the reason I bought my 964. Part of the reason I went air-cooled 911 at all was for the outlaw aspect of the cars. I personally really like the idea of tailoring a car to suit my specific driving and design wants but maintaining the 911 brand identity and purpose...
+1 Totally agree.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:33 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by creaturecat
964 rather than 993? That is a pro, not a con!
Yikes ......... not going there.

Already got into trouble before on my views of the 964 vs. 993 debate.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:10 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Several factors;

Porsche made lots of little changes to the 964 throughout its lifespan (as was also the case with previous models). By 92, most if not all these changes had already been implemented - shocks, clutch, seals, mirrors, wheels are the well known changes but I am still finding out about other small mechanical changes too but never seen a definitive list.

Post 92 models only accounted for 30% of 964 sales which is significant for collectors as its a numbers driven sector who also value factory originality over post prod fixes.
There are so many changes throughout the model run right up until the end. Around 91 everything slowly started to switch over. There are a lot of similarities to many basic components in the 92-94 cars to what was later used in the 993 and several things that mimicked the 3.2 pre 92. Then there is an entire list of upgrades due to initial design issues and the introduction of the turbo resulted in a lot of changes to the tub. Building my 3.8RS clone on a 90 tub proved to be complicated because of older and new parts not being compatible.

Sadly there are still deals out there but I can't seem to find them. A buddy of mine picked up a sub 40k mile 93 C2 for $35k I have no idea what he sold it for. I do know he sold the red car Marshall Goodman was asking 6 figures for and IIRC he got close to asking price.

I had toyed with selling my 60k mile 93 manual in clean condition with tasteful mods. I offered it for $62,500 with all original parts but was not into selling it. Since then I have gone to a bunch of car shows and have been offered even more and have been tempted but I know I could never find another as well sorted. Interestingly some shows people have driven by saw the car and stopped just to find out who the owner was and if he was selling. I Just play stupid and say I don't think he is. LOL it is getting tiresome when people bug you to sell.

Quick Reply: REALISTIC 964 C2 Coupe values