Sponsored by:

Possible color change?

Old 09-16-2015, 02:29 PM
dsan
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Possible color change?

Just a little background.

The car has been repainted in the past with the factory stock black code 700. Recently I had someone back into the car at a traffic light and did very little damage. Nothing needs to be replaced but the hood/bumper smile trim. The bumper has a few scratches and the hood was knocked back about 1/2 inch. His insurance is covering the damages along with painting the bumper, hood , blending the fenders and roofline. Since the car is now going to be half painted, I'm going to pick up the difference and get the entire car resprayed. There were some imperfections in the original respray that bothered me and I'm not crazy about the idea of the trying to match and blend the old paint with new.

I hadn't thought about changing the color up until my bodyman called me this morning asking if we're leaving it the stock color or thinking about a metallic or pearl or even doing a color change. I'm torn on the idea. It took a lot of searching for a black on black C2 but the idea of doing a black metallic 738 or even a full color change is tempting.

So basically what I'm wondering is if changing the color from the factory color would hurt the value? I do plan on keeping this car in the family forever but you never know what could be around the corner and force me to sell it. Now, keep in mind the car has already been repainted so I'm sure I lost value do to that already.

What say you Rennlist? Leave it factory black, go black metallic or go ***** out and change things up with a new color?
Old 09-16-2015, 04:29 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

If I was in your shoes I'd go with the Amazon Green or whatever cool dark green color Porsche made briefly for 964's.

But black isn't so bad either. Someone is selling a Porsche that had a custom from factory color and painted it black on top. That's kind of crappy, but going from black to something more interesting, great idea!
Old 09-16-2015, 04:34 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

If it's not much more money, and the color change would be done right....the right color change would add value. Ie Mexico blue or mint green....some colors are so rare and look so good, they would be highly sought after. There were only 2 Mexico (riviera) blue 964s sent to the states (I think that's correct, but that may be a stat from a single year) and I have only ever seen one mint green, which now belongs to rob at singer...

If you change the color to dark forest green with a hint of bark beige/brown pearl....your chances to ever sell the car are over. It's not a 90's Subaru...

If you go from black to guards red. Value reduction.

You just need to decide what works well for the car and would be valued by the market. If you make it a better looking car, value will go up. Finding what's "better looking" and what will be hot when you get around to selling, tough call.

For me, it would be pastel orange, mint green, or Mexico blue....(my car is black, I have been dying to change it)
Old 09-16-2015, 05:02 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

I'd repaint a black car in a brighter hue immediately! But not metallic black

Before going any further, is your car stock, or modified? Stock cars bring the most interest. Once modified, you lose a good chunk of potential buyers.

Now as far as resale value, the right rare color might make it more attractive to a certain type of buyer, if done right. Maritime/Mexico/Riviera are certainly cool to some people but not others. Same goes for Rubystone, Mint, Viper Green, etc. The pool of interested parties will certainly decrease once the original color has been changed.

At the end of the day it's your car so do as you please
Old 09-16-2015, 05:21 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A proper color change is a lot more money than a respray. If you wanna do a different black, at least the bay and jams will sort of match.
I ended up doing Mexico blue as an accent color as black will always be cool, and I can always change that color more easily than another repaint.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:14 PM
dhc905
Banned

Old 09-16-2015, 06:15 PM
dhc905
Banned

Or

Old 09-16-2015, 08:48 PM
Shamstar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would keep it black personally maybe a different shade even a metallic black... As for changing the colour if you want to go down that route make sure it's done properly and paint the bay, frunk etc.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:02 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tangerine! My favorite long hood 911 color. Orange is awesome on a 964!
Old 09-16-2015, 10:51 PM
dsan
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the idea's, please keep them coming. I've been going through the exterior options for 964's, who knew they were available in so many different colors! Could have sworn it was only white, black and red

ilko, the car is modified but nothing that cannot be brought back to factory if needed.

This is the car I'm getting painted

but this is how it sits now

Old 09-16-2015, 10:55 PM
18T_BT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory black. That is all :-)
Old 09-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

car looks great black. I'd leave it stock color.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:56 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

JMHO, but seems to me all the cars that had color changes from their COA don't value as well. But that's been for early cars.....which, eventually, over time, these will be "early cars" too.

But, to each their own...
Old 09-17-2015, 01:18 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by dsan
...I do plan on keeping this car in the family forever but you never know what could be around the corner and force me to sell it. Now, keep in mind the car has already been repainted so I'm sure I lost value do to that already...
If you plan to keep, then you are free from worrying what anyone else thinks. Enjoy making the car your own, not the next buyer's car.

Originally Posted by Goughary
...the right color change would add value. Ie Mexico blue or mint green....some colors are so rare and look so good, they would be highly sought after...
Originally Posted by ilko
...Now as far as resale value, the right rare color might make it more attractive to a certain type of buyer, if done right. Maritime/Mexico/Riviera are certainly cool to some people but not others. Same goes for Rubystone, Mint, Viper Green, etc. The pool of interested parties will certainly decrease once the original color has been changed...
A buddy on mine tagged a couple corners of his Guards Red '87. Since so many panels were damaged he decided to turn lemons into lemonade and change to Mexico Blue.

Keeping the color stock makes sense from many different perspectives, but you should see the reaction this car gets from other people (all the time).

I don't think he'll have any trouble selling his car...

Old 09-17-2015, 01:22 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Really need to get a duck tail.

Yeah, I don't think painting it is gonna effect the value. It's your car, do what you want with it. The best thing about these cars in driving them anyway.

I do like black, but dark blue would look sweet, or even that about blue 911jetta posted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible color change?