Sponsored by:

Recaro SPG Profi XL Floor Mount & Slider Install - Pics & Tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:39 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Recaro SPG Profi XL Floor Mount & Slider Install - Pics & Tips

After researching various seat and mounting combinations for the 964 I ended up with the Profi XL due to it being a good for taller drivers because of the higher belt holes which allow for correct geometry of the shoulder straps for a 5/6 point harness as well gaining some much needed headroom for a helmet. My plan was to mount the driver's seat directly to the floor since my car still has a sunroof and keep a slider on the passenger side for my better half. I also wanted to keep a 3-point lap belts which meant coming up with a solution for the belt receiver on the tunnel side.

After calling Brey-Krause they informed me that they have a part to mount the XL directly to the floor, but it was incorrectly advertised on their website as only working up to 1989 models and not for the 964/993. So I ordered it along with their tunnel side mount which is very similar to the Carrera RS part. I also ordered the standard Recaro slider with aluminium side mounts.

Brey-Krause Lap Belt Mount p/n: 9005 (left)
Porsche Carrera RS Lap Belt Mount p/n: 964.521.065.00 (right)

Brey-Krause Profi XL Mount for Floor Mounting p/n: 9773 (weight: 2lbs 2.4 oz each side)
Rear mounting hole height: lower hole 3", upper hole 3.5"

Recaro Profi XL Mount p/n: 7207000A (weight: 1lbs 4.4 oz each side)
Rear mounting hole height: lower hole 4.2", upper hole 5"

Before shot of the interior prior to starting the install.

Pulled the stock seats out and installed a Brey-Krause harness bar, which is a very nice piece. Excellent welds and very robust.

So while trying to figure out the best way to mount the lap belt receiver on the tunnel side I realized that sandwiching it between the side-mount and the floor would be a bad solution because 1. it raises the seat and I'd have to use spacers at all other mounting points and 2. it would mount the receiver too far forward and not fit into the opening on the seat. Luckily I figured out I could mount it behind the side-mount using the rear 2 mounting holes which is a great solution. The picture shows the Brey-Krause lap belt mount but I actually ended up using the Carrera RS mount for the drivers side due to interference with the BK lap belt mount and the seat bottom.

Doing some test fitting on the passenger side mount. Seat belt mount not sandwiched between yet.

I would definitely recommend removing the center console to allow easier access to the tunnel side mounting bolts on the drivers seat since you have to secure the mounts to the floor first then bolt the seat in, which is a pain. I purchased 2 regular hex head M8x1.25-20 bolts for the tunnel side which allowed me to use a ratcheting wrench to make tightening everything much easier than a hex key. I definitely gained headroom on the driver's side and with the lower seat padding removed I will be able to get by with a helmet on. I'm a little disappointed in the Recaro mounts and slider for the passenger side and I'm sure I will put it out again to improve the situation. But basically the seat is very high even at the lowest mounting point and it doesn't slide back very far. Comparing the height difference the lowest mounting hole on the Recaro side mount is 4.2", plus the slider 1", plus the seat belt mount height 0.1" for a total of 5.3" versus the BK floor mount of just 3.5", a headroom difference of 1.8". Note: I used the upper rear mounting hole on the BK mount.

Final product.

Hopefully this info helps out when trying to mount a larger seat in the 964/993.

-Mike
Old 02-24-2017, 07:23 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can the aluminum Recaro side mounts (7207000A) be directed mounted to the floor? It appears that the base of the side mounts widens near the back. Will this interfere with anything? How about the seat belt receiver mounts (will be keeping 3 pt belts)?
Old 02-26-2017, 03:54 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone?
Old 02-27-2017, 09:08 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Achtung964
Can the aluminum Recaro side mounts (7207000A) be directed mounted to the floor? It appears that the base of the side mounts widens near the back. Will this interfere with anything? How about the seat belt receiver mounts (will be keeping 3 pt belts)?
I don't think they are long enough to bolt directly to the floor, but even if you could it would position the seat too far forward so it wouldn't work well. If you want something mounted to the floor just go with the Brey-Krause mount, it works great.

They do not widen toward the back on the outside just the inside for some reason, but that extra material can be easily cut off.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:25 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 106 Posts

Question for those whoo have mounted SPG XLs to the floor in 964/993: How far back is the rearward most available mounting position compared to an OEM slider in the rearmost position, or a Recaro slider in the rearmost position?
Old 10-19-2019, 09:29 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by tjb616
Question for those whoo have mounted SPG XLs to the floor in 964/993: How far back is the rearward most available mounting position compared to an OEM slider in the rearmost position, or a Recaro slider in the rearmost position?
Looking for this answer again and found my own post from 5 months ago! Bump for the same question.

Quick Reply: Recaro SPG Profi XL Floor Mount & Slider Install - Pics & Tips