Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Miles 964 FS at fair price... anyone know the car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:47 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Low Miles 964 FS at fair price... anyone know the car?

No affiliation with car what so ever but this looked like a clean stock car with low miles with realistic buy it now price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=141751629929
Old 08-27-2015, 02:04 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$47k for an 89 C4 is a fair price? Wow this is a crazy market. It does look to be in good condition though, and only 50k miles...
Old 08-27-2015, 02:41 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default yes

Given what I have seen in "asking prices" this seemed inline given miles, clean history if checks out and some other factors. (by no means cheap just fair as stated)

opposed to something like this which is HIGH dealer flip asking...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=252062541156

Originally Posted by MTR
$47k for an 89 C4 is a fair price? Wow this is a crazy market. It does look to be in good condition though, and only 50k miles...
Old 08-27-2015, 03:37 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Given what I have seen in "asking prices" this seemed inline given miles, clean history if checks out and some other factors. (by no means cheap just fair as stated)

opposed to something like this which is HIGH dealer flip asking...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=252062541156
Yea after seeing multiple flippers and dealers post up cars at unrealistic prices something $10k cheaper does look reasonable. Only way to know for sure is if it sells.

Are you thinking about making an offer?
Old 08-27-2015, 03:59 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default just bought

I am not making an offer but did just buy a 89 c4 with 57xxxmiles for not much less then this car. Mine has some key parts by RUF which was important to me but may not be attractive to others.

Originally Posted by MTR
Yea after seeing multiple flippers and dealers post up cars at unrealistic prices something $10k cheaper does look reasonable. Only way to know for sure is if it sells.

Are you thinking about making an offer?
Old 08-27-2015, 04:06 PM
Pichu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who else is tempted to cash out? This is getting a little crazy. I always knew that 964's were great cars at a great price, but this seems crazy. My 964 cost half the price of our family minivan. Hope the wife doesn't find out what these cars are selling for...
Old 08-27-2015, 10:57 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sold for asking price. yes?
Old 08-27-2015, 11:50 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Pichu
Who else is tempted to cash out? This is getting a little crazy. I always knew that 964's were great cars at a great price, but this seems crazy. My 964 cost half the price of our family minivan. Hope the wife doesn't find out what these cars are selling for...
I have been thinking about it. The issue I see is that all the flippers are selling cars now to unsuspecting new 964 owners that don't yet understand they are buying sub standard, un-sorted cars at a significant premium. They don't know they are in for 10-25k worth of upgrades, fixes, and maintenance over the next few years to sort the car out and get it right, not to mention the cost year on year of continued maintenance should they choose to really drive the car...

For me, prices have to come back down, at least for the un-sorted cars.

I've seen lately, a few really good, well sorted cars with an ask around 50k. I have no issues with those. But I've seen many cars 35-45k that really should be 25-30k, and that's disturbing since if the buyer knew what he was getting into, he'd be much better off buying the sorted car at 50k.

Further, if you wait and look, there are still good cars to be had at 35k. So were anyone to ask my humble opinion, I'd recommend to not pay a penny for a high priced or "market priced" car unless the owner, dealer, flipper have him a list of the 100 things that had been done to sort the car out, and if it had good leakdown numbers.

It kills me when I go out and drive a car listed high and it feels like what mine felt like when I bought it. Loose, understeer, sloppy, tall, dead, bad throttle response, misfires, broken window switches, broken seat switches, bad repaint, terrible brakes, oil seeping out of every pore, power steering leaks, torn cv boots and cv joints on their way out, old torn bushings, bad top mounts, blown engine mounts, old plug wires, bad coils, heater blower motor not working, rusted window lifters in the doors, swaybar bushings, end links, dirty accelerometers that no longer work, corroded abs pins, leaking sunroof, seals all over the car letting water in places water shouldn't be....the list can go on forever and most of us that have sorted one of these cars has almost the same list...time, effort, money. Eventually it's "good enough"...it'll never be new. And then some turkey lists a car that looks and feels like my unsorted car for a price I couldn't even get for my sorted car. Insane.

So yeah. My belief is there will be a lot of 964s back on the market next year being sold by a lot of disappointed guys that had no idea their 40k car was a 60-70k car and they just don't want the hassle.

I think my price is 75k. We aren't there yet for the C4. When we get there, I'll consider. But I'll the run out and buy a barn find. And be back in the garage. Or maybe I'll just buy an NA Miata, put the other 70k in the market, and have even more fun, since an NA Miata is more fun to drive. Maybe...

Wow that was long. Apologies. I just feel terrible for people that are being taken advantage of in this market.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:01 AM
Pichu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ That was a great post, it should be required reading for all newer 964 enthusiasts considering buying a car.

Especially online. What I don't understand is how people BUY such expensive, complex 'emotion filled' cars, online?! Are people idiots? I have sold a car online and I am 1000% shocked why someone would bother buying it.

First; NO ONE lists what is wrong with the car! Every car listed in the classifieds is listed with zero flaws mentioned. Or the flaws are meant to be re-disquised as positives. 'Patina', or 'barn' find or simply 'project.' WTF does that mean?? And yet, it's amazing, these cars sell in one hour or one day or EVEN one week. That is pretty psycho. (I listed every flaw in my car, most people who emailed were shocked.)

So, there is no way people are doing their due diligence in this short amount of time, it is not possible. And asking the SELLER/dealer/owner to tell the flaws of the car? Would they? They don't in the ads. Do they in phone calls/emails? I'm actually 100% curious.

Are people just that rich? They must be because they buy a car online for 40+K, sight unseen, un test driven etc.

I could go on and on but like the above poster said, where is the rationality? I know my car gets me irrational but it took me a LONG time to buy my car. I'm not a rich man, I had to save and work for it. So if I wanted to 'cash out', I would have to settle with the fact I won't ever have a 964 again. Or my son (that's really what makes me hold on to it). If they are 40K cars now, what will they be in 10 years?!!

Final thought; I've never made a sound financial decision in my life. But this car makes me looks like a financial guru!! ... just don't tell my wife!
Old 08-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

In 10 years, they will be paper weights.

My kid and all the friends don't care one bit about cars. They won't ever want to turn a wrench. They will more than likely just call uber when they need to go somewhere. Cheaper to use uber anyway...lol.

And forget getting dirty. I don't know of any kid that wants to be dirty. They might get grease on the screen. Not to mention that they wood have to be off the device for long enough to get something else done.

It's too bad. But good for them.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:21 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default maybe

If the car had a motor refresh at some point etc and sold for ask someone got a great deal IMO ... if car is 100% stock and had no major work done (clutch, top end etc) less of a deal...

Originally Posted by creaturecat
sold for asking price. yes?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:42 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Price says $59,900 now
Old 08-29-2015, 12:18 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
In 10 years, they will be paper weights.

My kid and all the friends don't care one bit about cars. They won't ever want to turn a wrench. They will more than likely just call uber when they need to go somewhere. Cheaper to use uber anyway...lol.

And forget getting dirty. I don't know of any kid that wants to be dirty. They might get grease on the screen. Not to mention that they wood have to be off the device for long enough to get something else done.

It's too bad. But good for them.
I don't agree with that statement- my kids (17 & 19 YO) love my older Porsche's- all there friends are into cars as well.

Phil
Old 08-29-2015, 06:46 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
I don't agree with that statement- my kids (17 & 19 YO) love my older Porsche's- all there friends are into cars as well.

Phil
My kids too and they are younger at 9 and 12. And their friends are very interested as well.

I finally found my car a few weeks ago, and I'll tell you, there were not any "good" C2 Coupes with under 100 k mi, and no rust for sale for mid $30s that I saw ! Lots of cars that needed lots of work, had storied pasts, serious body repair, or no records, etc. etc...

Oh, and if new suspension and wheels tires and shiny grey paint make that coupe worth $59,900.... I got a heck of a deal.

Last edited by Super90; 08-29-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:20 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Yea I'm actually thinking about laying low and not buying for a while till this market cools down a little.

Quick Reply: Low Miles 964 FS at fair price... anyone know the car?