Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine tray removal debate

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it comes down to you bottoming out, which could also indicate you have excessive suspension travel in some cases, the plastic little tray won't do anything. If that is one of your fears you should have some company fabricate a steel underpanel.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:19 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Everyone seems to have their own view of what one should do with the under tray. safety, aerodynamics, and heat. Every bloke has their concern and opinion. Keeps the tires rolling. Of course then there is the foam on the tray that catches all the oil - seems that we could throw in fire hazard too.
I was more concerned about the heat, having read several post early on - think that was back in 2001 or 2002. Well, I wanted to keep the aero aspect of a clean bottom, but I wanted to make sure that the engine could exhaust the hot engine air and not have it trapped around the engine. So I decided to butcher the tray. Pulled out my trusty skill saw and cut the middle section out of the tray. The middle section, and restricted the air flow ( my thoughts ). - this left me a forward section and rear section of the tray. ( See Pictures ) This allowed me to keep the benefit of the forward portion of the tray for an aero dynamic flow and open the engine area up. Then cover the rear section of the tray under the muffler.
This all worked well while I had the two sections mounted on the car. Since then, have removed the rear section and vented the rear bumper to allow better air flow.
and cooling in the rear area ( this resulted from a discussion on Renn about the heat trapped behind the engine an the need to vent the rear of the car.)
I know some of ya'll will be aghast, but it works - is a good solution that can be done very easily, does not keep the car in stock condition - but you can always obtain another tray if you want -
Attached Images      
Old 08-06-2015, 10:17 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Gus,

I like it! What is the switch on your bumper?
Old 08-06-2015, 10:35 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

That is not a switch. It is an engine hood release so you can pop the deck from outside the car. Kind of like a emergency hood release .

Originally Posted by Earlydays
Gus,

I like it! What is the switch on your bumper?
Old 08-07-2015, 07:10 AM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My 964 never came with one. Bought it like that from the previous owner. I would have taken it off anyway
Old 08-07-2015, 10:04 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like those vent holes. I still have to make a secondary release for my lid and frunk.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:59 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Everyone seems to have their own view of what one should do with the under tray...

So I decided to butcher the tray. Pulled out my trusty skill saw and cut the middle section out of the tray. The middle section, and restricted the air flow ( my thoughts ). - this left me a forward section and rear section of the tray. ( See Pictures ) This allowed me to keep the benefit of the forward portion of the tray for an aero dynamic flow and open the engine area up. Then cover the rear section of the tray under the muffler...

...is a good solution that can be done very easily...
I love it. The essence of modding and hotrodding.
Plus, it's an understandable middle ground. Makes sense.
Most importantly it adds something new to the discussion. THANK YOU!

Quick Reply: Engine tray removal debate