Sponsored by:

BLACK BETTY - An obssesion with Porsche

Old 07-29-2015, 09:37 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts
Default BLACK BETTY - An obssesion with Porsche

Way to go Frank.
Couple questions...did you use c4 or c2 parts for the nb conversion in the rear? Which rear half shafts mate with the anniversary wide body...assuming C2? That was an awesome choice. You'll have a ton of rubber back there. 275? Might cause you a bit of under steer on the track though...you'll have to head into corners fast and lift/catch....fun...

I was really happy to see you chose all reversible mods as well. I was worried when I started reading the post...

Looking forward to seeing the rest. Mexico Blue is my favorite Porsche color by far...
Old 07-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I think you would use narrow body C4 axles since the C2 and C4 use different output flanges. C4s use M8 bolts to fasten the axles to the transaxle. C2s use M10 bolts.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:43 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hell of a collection you're building there.

The widebody car is dope. Brakes and wheels are a bit like mine. Looking forward to more updates/pics
Old 07-29-2015, 11:03 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Fantastic collection Frank, very impressive indeed.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:06 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts
Default BLACK BETTY - An obssesion with Porsche

Originally Posted by Vandit
I think you would use narrow body C4 axles since the C2 and C4 use different output flanges. C4s use M8 bolts to fasten the axles to the transaxle. C2s use M10 bolts.
Was the anniversary car 4wd or rwd?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:24 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
You'll have a ton of rubber back there. 275?
I'll be interested to see the width/offset and tire size Frank decides to go with. I run 295s on mine with room to spare.

C4
Old 07-30-2015, 01:35 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice one Frank! I'm sure thAts just the half of it - been busy.
Have you grown dreads by any chance? ;-)
Old 07-30-2015, 02:23 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cheers for the kind words and interest - lots to come.

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
Out of curiosity, are there any other pros/cons to doing NB trailing arms, other than to get a deeper dish?
Originally Posted by 18T_BT
Curious as to why you changed the wide body rear trailing arms for NB items? To fit wider wheels/tires?
They were changed for a geometry advantage and so that I could fit deep dish wheels for the RSR look.

Originally Posted by GBX
absolutely stunning Frank! Love the riveria blue accents.

2 questions:
1) Are those 993 TT brakes up front or oem w/ just drilled rotors?

2) Why'd you decide to use a long neck G-pipe over the shorty? Do you plan to upgrade the chip? Sound clips would be much appreciated
Yup, front callipers are 993 TT items. I've used EBC yellow pads which work great as fast road/ track pad. No noise, little dust.

The long neck G-Pipe uses the original mounting point (the short neck hangs) and the design keeps the flow length similar to stock.

Originally Posted by onceover
Well now I'm extremely jealous. Nice collection Frank!

Is the oil pressure not a bit low on the "Glorious roads" photo?
This \/

It's up to temp and at idle. Depending on the weight and type of oil it's currently running, it might be within normal range.
Exactly. Susie Q has 77,000 miles on the clock. Engine health is spot on.

Yup, 3.8 RS and RSR style. I love the look w/ wide arches, narrow arms, and fat lips.

Originally Posted by hockenheimr
What a collection!!! I can't wait to see what happens with Betty
Cheers Fella,

She's currently in pieces. Engine in one place, body in another...

Way to go Frank.
Couple questions...did you use c4 or c2 parts for the nb conversion in the rear? Which rear half shafts mate with the anniversary wide body...assuming C2? That was an awesome choice. You'll have a ton of rubber back there. 275? Might cause you a bit of under steer on the track though...you'll have to head into corners fast and lift/catch....fun...

I was really happy to see you chose all reversible mods as well. I was worried when I started reading the post...
Everything is reversible incase I ever have to sell, that's my only sympathy for originality. They're meant for driving and cry out for modifying.

Seize the drive.

I used C2 narrow body drive shafts.

Always 4WD.

Originally Posted by LPMM
I'll be interested to see the width/offset and tire size Frank decides to go with. I run 295s on mine with room to spare.
11J 295 I'm hoping to be rebuilding to ET -15
9J 245 ET48 I need more time with her, but I have a feeling the front is over tired.
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2015, 04:23 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to club4 frank - now the difficult task of sharing the love between the 4 & finding a killer garage (I am failing miserably on both fronts).
Old 07-30-2015, 01:50 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
The long neck G-Pipe uses the original mounting point (the short neck hangs) and the design keeps the flow length similar to stock.
Any sound or performance difference between the long and short neck G?

Always read that the longneck G only made sense when also deleting the primary....
Old 07-30-2015, 02:29 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Why have you been holding out on us Frank? Need specs on the 964 RS stat!

Old 07-30-2015, 02:37 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice one Frank! It didn't make a lot of sense to me when I bought my Jubi given that it was an off chance visit after looking at a poor C4 - but it does now!

So we know of two from the 'Dirty Dozen' polar silver cars now we need to get the others involved.

I had a '69 911T many years ago and just wish I'd hung on to it.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jubi has definitely flown under the radar in UK, back in spring 2014 when I was looking for my 964 C2 I came across a beautiful Jubi at a Porsche dealer somewhere in Europe (think it was Germany) and it was priced at 125,000 euro which at the time calculated to just under £100k - ok it was totally stock and low miles but still ..... Oh and it was gone a few weeks later.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:06 PM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love the collection Frank!

It's obvious you've got the 964 thing in a big way, however I'm curious to know if you have ever considered the 993 or dare I say it "water cooled"...996, 997 or 991?

What are your thoughts on these?

Looking forward to your journal
Old 07-30-2015, 07:21 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the kind words fellas

Originally Posted by GBX
Hey Frank,

Suzie Q is looking amazing! Such a great selection of mods. I'm having KW V3's installed as we speak and can't wait to get the car back.

Next up on my mod list is a Wong Chip and muffler delete. What made you choose the g-pipe over a cuppipe? Also, why the long neck...I know you mentioned the added back pressure but I thought the longneck was mostly for those who also deleted primary muffler. Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts on this.
You'll enjoy the V3s. Wonderfull tuning potential. Don't neglect thicker anti roll bars... make a world of difference too.

From experience bypassing a silencer makes little difference. It's the sum of the different elements that do - in fact that's my moto for modding cars, look at the bigger picture first before looking at the details. The best exhaust performance (aside from a full exhaust system from the headers) gains IIRC are from deleting the catalytic converter and the final silencer.

Cat bypass & G-pipe = loud 105db best performance
Cat bypass & Cup pipe = quieter but the pressure often cracks the final silencer, easily welded up with a plaque
Cup pipe & G-Pipe = Very loud, over 105db not enough back pressure imo.

A long neck g-pipe keeps a more original flow and uses the original mounting bracket. More secure than the short neck version. Sound and performance difference is probably negligible.

I'm a firm believer in live re-maps. I've had Wong Chips, they're good. But nothing compares to dedicated live re-map.

Originally Posted by Ken D
Why have you been holding out on us Frank? Need specs on the 964 RS stat!
It's an original Euro Spec LWT RS. It was used as a track car for many years. It has many layers of chipped paint etc and is in need of re-commissioning. Mechanically the car has been kept in good nick, aesthetically it wears its scars.

Originally Posted by Zingari
Nice one Frank! It didn't make a lot of sense to me when I bought my Jubi given that it was an off chance visit after looking at a poor C4 - but it does now!

So we know of two from the 'Dirty Dozen' polar silver cars now we need to get the others involved.

I had a '69 911T many years ago and just wish I'd hung on to it.
Phil Raby said that he knew of at least one UK Polar Silver Anniversary that was written off. So there are less than 12 left on the road... Rumour has it there's one somewhere close to me that's in a dire state. I would love to track it down and restore it.

I hear you're after a 360?

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Jubi has definitely flown under the radar in UK, back in spring 2014 when I was looking for my 964 C2 I came across a beautiful Jubi at a Porsche dealer somewhere in Europe (think it was Germany) and it was priced at 125,000 euro which at the time calculated to just under £100k - ok it was totally stock and low miles but still ..... Oh and it was gone a few weeks later.
Indeed. That's what I noticed. Only 42 of the 911 made came to the UK and they are way cheaper here. So wanted to jump in one before the UK caught up with the EU eventually and I'd be priced out.

Originally Posted by jotaking
Love the collection Frank!

It's obvious you've got the 964 thing in a big way, however I'm curious to know if you have ever considered the 993 or dare I say it "water cooled"...996, 997 or 991?

What are your thoughts on these?
Thank you. 964s are the only 911s with semi trailing arms and coil suspension - that makes them very truly unique to drive. I would like a 993 C2S or C4S, but atm my vision is set on a 964 Coupe C2 manual, long hoods and perhaps a 930.

Water cooled stuff doesn't stir my soul. I'm an analog kinda guy, the digital stuff is not challenging enough to drive.

This transcends to everything I love. Vinyl is a good example... it's rewarding.
I like the hunt for the next album, so when I finally get it, it sounds that much better. I like listening to entire albums, each song compliments the previous one, takes you on a journey. Led Zeppelin 1 springs to mind. This is why I name my cars after my favourite girls in music...

It's too easy to download an MP3, consume a single.

The air-cooled stuff has a history, tells a story. The processes of planning, hunting, restoring, modifying and driving analog are rewarding experiences. Giving new life to something old... That moment after a blast when you step out the cabin and look at what you've created. When you know you've built your perfect car. That right there is the stuff dreams are made of to me.

Cheers,
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BLACK BETTY - An obssesion with Porsche