Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Problem...Not fully releasing or sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 12:43 PM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Problem...Not fully releasing or sticking?

Hey Guys,

A recent problem has cropped up with my clutch. I messed around a bit and found the following issues:

While driving and shifting from first to second, it seems to stick in 1st when I first move the stick and just generally requires more effort for the 1-2 shift. All other gears seem fine.

When parked while the car is off on a slight slope, if I push the clutch in while in 1st gear, the car will not roll back until I put it in neutral. Comparing this to Reverse the car rolls back just fine with the clutch in and the gear in Reverse.

While idling at a stop, with the clutch in everything is fine. When I release the clutch while in neutral I can hear the clutch chattering just a tiny bit. (Not sure if this is normal or not...if may have been doing this before but I never noticed until I listened to it).

Any suggestions on what might be happening and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks

1989 C4
Old 07-26-2015, 12:49 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you ever replace the clutch master and slave cylinders and fluid?

Last edited by David A; 07-26-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:01 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a read of this, sounds similar and roll pin is an easy check compared to all the other options so deffo worth checking first:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ch-or-box.html
Old 07-26-2015, 07:46 PM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

According to service record the car had a full clutch and gearbox rebuild 50,000km ago. Not sure if the master and slave were changed then.

I'm going to do a full bleed and check the pin tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:51 PM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

Just an update in case anyone has any other ideas. I checked out the roll pin today (without taking it out). It wasn't partially sticking out or anything and looks fairly new so I'm guessing that is not the issue. Also the master cylinder moves as soon as the clutch starts to move so everything seems fairly tight in the pedal box. I'll order a new pin and bushings anyway just to be sure.

I did a full system bleed and all the fluids that came out looked pretty clean (including the slave cylinder) so it must have been done somewhat recently.

I examined the behaviour of the clutch a little more today and here is exactly what is happening. (it is possible this has always been happening and I just never noticed before...maybe it is normal). When the car is on a very slight slope (in my garage) and the car is in first gear, when I push the clutch in the car will roll very slightly and you can tell something is dragging. If I move the gear stick to neutral the car will pick up some speed (again we are talking about a very slight slope). Also when I move the gear from 1st to neutral there is a little resistance. While rolling if I put the car back in first everything is fine. If I stop while rolling and then release the brake again everything is fine. This behaviour only happens when I stop and let the clutch out and let the the roll back onto 1st gear. If I do the exact same thing with reverse everything is fine as well (which seems odd to me). So it only happens in gears 1-5 with 1 being the worst.

If the car is on a bigger slope (my driveway) this dragging doesn't happen at all. It seems anything more than a slight slope is enough to overcome whatever is dragging in the transmission (which is probably why I never noticed before).

Is there any chance this is just normal behaviour and I never noticed because it only happens on the slightest of slopes (or maybe part of the AWD system)? Any other ideas are appreciated (sorry for the long post).

Thanks
Old 07-27-2015, 10:06 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

You can't inspect the roll pin without removing it. One time, my roll pin was failing and it looked fine on the outside but when it was removed, you could see a partial dent which allowed for freeplay in the pedal.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:41 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just a thought, but have you ever changed your gear oil?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:03 AM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
You can't inspect the roll pin without removing it. One time, my roll pin was failing and it looked fine on the outside but when it was removed, you could see a partial dent which allowed for freeplay in the pedal.
I don't really want to take it out until the new one arrives which is why I held off on it for the time being. But I can tell when I put the clutch in with my hand there is no free play between it and the master cylinder.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:03 AM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

Originally Posted by newsboy
Just a thought, but have you ever changed your gear oil?
Thanks for the suggestion. I should have mentioned that earlier but yes the gear oil has been changed recently.

Quick Reply: Clutch Problem...Not fully releasing or sticking?