Sponsored by:

Front Brake Ducts

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Front Brake Ducts

The idea came out of the post "My 911 Design" - I was interested in one photo of the front brake duct work and how it was routed through the front frame section. Since 911 Design did the work I called them and talked to Loren about the routing of the air through the frame. He said that they had done this in earlier 964 race cars and just carried over to DE and street car mods. With a little work and study I under took this modification. I wanted to keep my driving lights so I added the brake scoops lower and just behind the front grill work on each side. The pictures will explain better. The one issue that I had was blocking the air flow and turning it to go out of the frame. To do this I used a foam spray that I shot into the frame and then cut to shape to route the air out of the frame. There is a structural center support in the frame work that you have to know where it is so you don't drill in to it. But other than that the mod is pretty straight forward. There is a front inspection hole 3 inches in diameter that i used as a air entrance point from the front scoops.
I ran a test on temp difference at an Autocross last week. Granted we are not talking significant temperatures But there was a 85 degree difference the brake with the active scoop over the blocked scoop - so there is cooling gained.
For those of you wondering why go this route - you can not run a hose directly against the wheel well wall because on a turn the tire will rub on the hose and rip it out. At best there is only 1/2 inch clearance and this does not allow enough air to be moved.
Any way here are some pictures of the project - I still have to make a small adapter to fir on to the caliper mount, but that is the easy part.
The pictures are of;
1. Stock Inspection hole
2. Inside view of Girdder location
3. Drilled 3" hole
4. Flange fitting for hose
5. Foam spayed in to be shaped
6. Flange and front hose fitted
7. Both hoses fitted
8. Hose mounted and routed to brake disk
9. Lower pic of brake and hose routing
Attached Images          
Old 07-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Have you noticed any difference when closing the doors?

See post #11 & #12.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-question.html
Old 07-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

No, not so sure that the comment in - 11/12 hold water. Believe the vent is in the rear flapper valve as that is were I hear the noise when I open and close door without engine running. I checked the frame box going towards the cockpit before shooting in foam by running a rod down the frame until I ran into a stop about 20 inches in - not to say that it was solid or just a online girder. But I have not noticed any change in heater operation or other issues with air flow. Of course I had the front vent holes blocked off before I made this mod also.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:00 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Thumbs up, Gus...another clever mod!
Old 07-07-2015, 08:58 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Ducts really help! I installed them on my first 964.

What caliper adapters are you using BTW?

Quick Reply: Front Brake Ducts