Sponsored by:

valve covers ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm getting a gearbox refresh so have the engine out in my garage and a bit of time to go over it. My '90 C4 has Magnesium valve covers, which are corroding. I'm doing a valve adjust and the first cover off has left a layer of Magnesium on the gasket. It's a false economy to put these back on.

Do we have a definitive recommendation that a particular replacement cover will work out of the box? I ask as I see some posts that the grooves are too deep in some brands meaning a skim has been done to allow the gaskets to properly seal. I just want to fit them, not have to visit a machine shop to adjust what are very expensive items.
I have Hargett and they are nice, but I think Rennline's look best. Their stuff is usually top notch too. Just installed their lower dash delete this weekend and it fits perfect.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:38 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Rennspeed

Has anyone used the rennspeed set? They seem fairly priced and thought I read a few decent reviews.... thoughts of anyone that has had them on their car for a bit and happy?
Old 08-26-2015, 12:48 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ally and a bargain... I have a set they are perfect, the lowers are the ones that corrode so change to ally.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-91...item5898d5517b
Old 08-26-2015, 12:54 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Exactly what I bought. Not even like you can see the lowers anyway. The upper I would like billet I think.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:03 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tdiquattro
ally and a bargain... I have a set they are perfect, the lowers are the ones that corrode so change to ally.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-91...item5898d5517b
Are those legit OEM parts? I'm never sure when it comes to eBay stuff that people are selling in bulk. My magnesium lowers looks like crap and are peeling, this looks like a good option. Do you guys spray them prior to install or leave them bare aluminium?
Old 08-27-2015, 08:48 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm getting a gearbox refresh so have the engine out in my garage and a bit of time to go over it. My '90 C4 has Magnesium valve covers, which are corroding. I'm doing a valve adjust and the first cover off has left a layer of Magnesium on the gasket. It's a false economy to put these back on.

Do we have a definitive recommendation that a particular replacement cover will work out of the box? I ask as I see some posts that the grooves are too deep in some brands meaning a skim has been done to allow the gaskets to properly seal. I just want to fit them, not have to visit a machine shop to adjust what are very expensive items.
John,

Do you have pictures of this. I am helping convert a local foundry here to do magnesium work. If it works out I am considering producing new versions of older magnesium parts. I don't think I have ever seen a mag casting leave material behind like you described would be interested in seeing what happened.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:24 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts
Default valve covers ???

Anthony, here you go
Attached Images    
Old 08-27-2015, 05:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Default valve covers ???

I have one area corroded on the cover and a couple of areas of corrosion around the bolt holes. I believe the OPC used some type of sealer on the gaskets and they have picked up some of the corroded material.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:12 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

I went ahead and bought the aluminium lower covers from RennSpeed and new OEM gaskets from Sunset Porsche. I'll let everyone know how the install goes.

Mike
Old 08-28-2015, 05:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MTR
I went ahead and bought the aluminium lower covers from RennSpeed and new OEM gaskets from Sunset Porsche. I'll let everyone know how the install goes. Mike
Thanks Mike. It looks like only one of my uppers may need replacing, but I haven't taken the lowers off yet.

BTW I have yet to get the driver seat out of the car to photograph. The rear inner bolt is cross threaded so I have to cut the head off. Mechanical ineptitude with cross threading is starting to drive me nuts. A cardinal sin. Rant over.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Just as an aside, a former Turbo 3.6 owner took these off his car a decade ago. He offered them to me for a bottle of cognac, but unfortunately they don't seem to fit a C4
Attached Images   
Old 08-28-2015, 06:10 PM
wachen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed Rennline lower covers. They are reasonably priced, high quality, and looks great too. They even came with ignition wire clips and screws.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:31 PM
CRG
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

not trying to be a smart*ss but are you replacing them because they leak or they're just not "pretty"?

if they leak it could just be time for new gaskets and need to be tighten down in a specific sequence. hell mine look worse than yours and are warped but don't leak, I don't care what they look like the garage floor is dry. gaskets are a heck of a lot cheaper than new covers..just a thought
Old 08-28-2015, 09:48 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CRG
not trying to be a smart*ss but are you replacing them because they leak or they're just not "pretty"?

if they leak it could just be time for new gaskets and need to be tighten down in a specific sequence. hell mine look worse than yours and are warped but don't leak, I don't care what they look like the garage floor is dry. gaskets are a heck of a lot cheaper than new covers..just a thought
Mine are peeling like crazy and I'm worried that they could be peeling on the inside as well. I have a slight oil leak on the passenger side towards the front of the car, I'm not 100% sure it's the valve cover because it could be the power steering seals leaking.

So for $225 I will not have to worry about paint peeling on the inside of the motor, it will visually looks better, and it might solve an oil leak. Also, I really enjoy working on the car.

Mike
Old 08-29-2015, 12:57 AM
perelet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peeling is not good Chunks of paint will get in to oil lines and plug tiny oiling holes causing not pretty after effects

Quick Reply: valve covers ???