Sponsored by:

Cause of crash?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 12:59 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cause of crash?

So as part of rebuilding the car after my crash at SPA I found brake fluid under the ABS pump. I was under he car fitting the refurbished steering rack back in and noticed a drip from the frunk floor. Looked in and saw the tell tale crinkled paint under the ABS unit and to the side where the brake fluid had attacked the brand newly repainted frunk floor. Eric thing is I can see all the junctions on the unit and they are all dry. Plus if I feel up under the pump it seems dry.. Yet there is brake fluid there. Does not seem to have come from anywhere else..

So I guess I'll have to take it out, if nothing else also to repaint the frunk floor. But there must be a leak.. Any tip on removing this unit without spilling Brake fluid absolutely everywhere?
Old 05-25-2015, 01:32 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you know for sure the ABS unit is working? Just had a failure on my unit, its becoming very common. It would be a shame to need to take the pump out more than once if you found the ABS wasn't working. It is going to leak fluid but soap and water and removal of the drain bungs soon clears it.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:30 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, yes I took the car out for a drive before disassembling the brakes and the ABS was kicking in..

I am wondering if this could explain my crash at SPA. Braking at the end of the straight from 140mph and the car suddenly veered off very sharply to the left. If there has been a fluid leak, particularly on the driver side channel then maybe that caliper momentarily lost pressure leaving the passenger side still braking and pulling the car off the track.. The instructor who was with me at the time was convinced it was brake failure that caused it.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:25 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe
............I am wondering if this could explain my crash at SPA. Braking at the end of the straight from 140mph and the car suddenly veered off very sharply to the left. If there has been a fluid leak, particularly on the driver side channel then maybe that caliper momentarily lost pressure leaving the passenger side still braking and pulling the car off the track........
This brings up a question - is the dual circuit on the 964 diagonal or front vs. back?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Well it's a C4, so it would be three channel. LF, RF, and rear axle.

Edit: I think the C2 is also 3-channel.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:45 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

any uneven pad wear ?

Quick Reply: Cause of crash?