Sponsored by:

Engine Sound pad Delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 03:03 PM
CRG
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine Sound pad Delete

I deleted my sound pad since my engine is out and wanted to pass on a little FWIT in the event you decide to go down that road.

I had the original pad, 89, and it was totally falling apart so I decided to just remove the thing as I really dont think it makes much difference for sound or heat protection. I tried just about every liquid, gel, spray, etc along with every type brush and scrapper to remove the old adhesive. What I found that really worked well was Goo Off Pro Strength and time, much time. I sprayed and let it dry and resprayed, over and over..2 cans worth over a weekend. After 2 cans I could rub the old glue off with my finger, it was that easy. The trick is to let the spray do the work not you. I cut off the screws for the pad with a dremel. I also bought a can of paint from Express Paint, along with a paint pen for rock chips, etc. It looks pretty good to me.

Anywho's if you have your engine out and are thinking about removing the pad give Goo Off a try and let it do the work for you.
Attached Images    
Old 05-23-2015, 05:50 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How does it sound without it?

I'd probably do it, it if doesn't make my cabin super loud. I love how it cleans up the engine bay with it gone.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:24 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

I've been in a 64 with this removed.
It was mega loud!

Car was at Oulton Park, so passed noise testing.

V loud inside car.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:17 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I ripped my sound pad out over 5 yrs ago. My kids ride in the back seats all the time...
Old 05-23-2015, 11:21 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Impressive result. I deleted mine also with the help of 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover and it took about three hours: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...e-remover.html

I left my screws for the pad intact in case the next owner decides to re-install the pad. The spots of adhesive that were left behind aren't visible when the engine is installed.

My car went straight to the mechanic for an engine out rebuild once I bought it so I'm not able to compare the noise before and after the pad delete, but I do notice road/tire noise from the rear seems intrusive at highway speeds. I haven't found heat to be an issue or engine noise though (running high flow sport cat, primary bypass).
Old 05-24-2015, 06:19 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Great job , thank for sharing
Old 05-24-2015, 09:06 AM
CRG
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

kreeshp
i did see your post before i started mine and probably like you i had to scrub/rub like a SOB to remove the old glue, until i used the technique i described above. Spraying it over and over again and letting the glue break down is the ticket, once i did that i could rub it off with my finger.
as far as any increase in engine noise is concerned i think it probably depends more on whatever exhaust mods are done. meaning if kept stock it shouldnt make any difference but if someone had a cat & primary delete, g pipe, etc than i would think you'd have an increase in cabin noise...which is not really "noise" to me
Old 05-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I ripped my sound pad out over 5 yrs ago. My kids ride in the back seats all the time...
Lol! I ripped mine out a year or so back. I can't tell any difference. I really like hearing the engine roar, so it served no purpose for me.

Thanks for the info OP. I have other glue that needs to come off and I'll go with your recommendation.

Happy Memorial Day to the U.S. Rennlisters.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:15 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

took mine out too (well, it fell apart) and no difference what-so-ever. Never bothered putting one back again.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:15 AM
NoSub Dan
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ripped mine out months ago. Right after I got the G pipe.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:26 AM
jimonycricket
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 36 Posts

Pulled mine out this past winter, didn't really notice much of a difference in sound.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:08 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

You can remove a lot of sound padding and still have a usable car, even bare metal. The real noise killer is the inner ceiling. Remove that and it will be loud!
Old 05-25-2015, 04:13 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Mine is pretty much falling apart. Makes me want to do this.

It looks horrible right now, in the state it's in.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:54 PM
Freya
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After just completing the 15,000 service, plus replacing the rear blower motor, I'm sorry I did not just drop the engine. What a PITA! Scrapes and bruises all over my hands and arms. And after all that work, I then paid attention to the rear sound pad which look worse then most of my T shirts. Most of it has fallen away, and the rest is kinda hanging on. I'll just rip the easy stuff out and not let anyone look at the engine compartment until I do the next major project.

Jerry G
Old 05-25-2015, 06:55 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
Mine is pretty much falling apart. Makes me want to do this. It looks horrible right now, in the state it's in.
Have you considered the pad keeper? In my rush to get everything for the in coming car I bought one. 167 but it does clean up the area nicely without having have to remove the pad. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Engine Sound pad Delete