Sponsored by:

My new old 964...Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:18 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My new old 964...Finally!

So after years of enjoying some pretty cool water cooled porsches, I’m happy to say that I am the proud owner of a well used 125k mile 964! The search wasn’t easy and took close to year. My requirements were simple, black on black. I wasn’t too concerned about miles since I plan on driving it a lot; I didn’t want to concern myself about adding miles. After several months I gave up on the idea of a black exterior and just wanted something solid that was well cared for. As I am sure most of you know that’s like finding a unicorn. Most cars had very low miles and out of my price range or the car had a lot of miles and needed a lot of work. Then one day right here I found this car in the classified section. Black on Black with 125k miles. Pictures were average but the interior looked new. I called the owner and what I heard next about its history blew me away! Turns out back in November of 1991, Champion Porsche which happens to be my local dealer raffled off this car as part of an Aids benefit. The winner was from Portland he flew in and then drove the car back. He kept the car until 2008 and clocked 111k miles. The second owner had until now and clocked 14k miles. The amazing thing about the car is that not only do I have EVERY single service record since 1992, I have the ad for the raffle, the actual winning ticket, a picture of the person getting the keys, the temp tag from Champion so that he could drive it home plus loads of other supporting documentation.

While the car had more miles than I wanted, the documentation was off the charts and it was BLACK on BLACK. After a quick PPI which revealed amazing numbers we struck a deal! The car is currently in transit to me and should be here on Wednesday. That said I just couldn’t help stalking up on some goodies! E88 wheels with a 50 offset all around, mod 7 steering wheel, PSS10 coilover, clear front lights, fog light delete, Carrera decal and a few other odds and ends. See below. There are many people on this forum who I must thank; you know who you are and I apologize for the all the questions, but I couldn’t have done it with all your guidance. I also want to give a special thanks to local Portland PCA chapter that referred me to Kurt and Aaron of Marque Motors in Portland for the PPI. These are probably some of the nicest shop owners I have ever dealt with. Car needed some minor fixes to the AC which they did and held on to the car while I sorted out transport. The car is going straight to Marty at MGM Racing to get everything put on and setup for me to hopefully take on a long road trip this summer.
Attached Images           
Old 05-22-2015, 09:33 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Congrats, Welcome.. and

That's so cool and a neat story to boot. I can see years of enjoyment ahead in your future.. Enjoy.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:31 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbotwoshoes
That's so cool and a neat story to boot. I can see years of enjoyment ahead in your future.. Enjoy.
Thanks man. I'm super excited!
Old 05-23-2015, 12:11 AM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story!! Congrats
Old 05-23-2015, 01:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

congrats, great looking car.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:40 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aha brilliant she surfaces. Looking awesome. Black & gold - stellar
Old 05-23-2015, 06:54 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

I was looking forward to seeing the cool pieces of history of your score. Beautiful 964, and trimmed up nice. The history is a cool bonus.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:31 AM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the kind words. All the parts are sitting at MGM waiting to be installed. The bottom picture is what I'm going for. Once the pole position seats are re-released I'll get going on the interior.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:13 AM
NoSub Dan
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Things are things and not to be loved. That being said, no one on this forum just walked on a used car lot and picked up a 964. Most involved hours online searching, talking to friends and friends of friends and even looking at some pretty awful cars. Once you find her you appreciate her so much you want to make her yours alone. You hand wash her inside and out and dress her up the way you want to see her with a new steering wheel and audio system, wheels, etc. Then you really start learning about taking care of her. The oil cooling system, that impossible heating and air conditioning system. So many things.And all the time she's giving back. Even if you work your *** off every day she'll be waiting for you with a little vacation on your way home. You always look back when you walk away from her and sometimes stand in the garage just looking. I'm very happy for you. You've had Porsches before but not like this. Mine was my 6th and without a doubt the most fun.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:56 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on the new addition, looks like your are well on your way to having an amazing 964!
Old 05-23-2015, 02:01 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great looking car with a neat story. Use it in good health
Old 05-23-2015, 02:13 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for sharing. Congratulations on the car.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:18 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

Congrats on finding the one you hoped for !
That many miles on a well cared for car don't matter. The 964 is so well made.
Enjoy !!
Old 05-23-2015, 02:48 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoSub Dan
Things are things and not to be loved. That being said, no one on this forum just walked on a used car lot and picked up a 964. Most involved hours online searching, talking to friends and friends of friends and even looking at some pretty awful cars. Once you find her you appreciate her so much you want to make her yours alone. You hand wash her inside and out and dress her up the way you want to see her with a new steering wheel and audio system, wheels, etc. Then you really start learning about taking care of her. The oil cooling system, that impossible heating and air conditioning system. So many things.And all the time she's giving back. Even if you work your *** off every day she'll be waiting for you with a little vacation on your way home. You always look back when you walk away from her and sometimes stand in the garage just looking. I'm very happy for you. You've had Porsches before but not like this. Mine was my 6th and without a doubt the most fun.
That's exactly how I feel about my .1rs. My commute is just a few miles and very flat and straight. But the days I decide to drive it the 15 minutes I drive to and from the office always makes me smile. I often times walk into the garage just to look at her and smile. I have a feeling this 964 after I get done tinkering with it will be the same thing. Can't wait to see them parked next to each other.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:03 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Congrats Al! Nice story. Next time I'm Stateside I'd love to see her.

Quick Reply: My new old 964...Finally!