Sponsored by:

1993 Turbo 3.6 refresh

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:17 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

Sounds like he is going to have a real nice car when he gets done. Is it going back to horizon blue or staying silver?
Old 05-21-2015, 03:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
Sounds like he is going to have a real nice car when he gets done. Is it going back to horizon blue or staying silver?
It is staying Polar Silver. At some stage in its life it was stripped to the shell and recoloured. The interior paint is in excellent condition and would cost a fortune to change back at today's labour rates, plus the owner prefers Polar Silver to Horizon Blue Metallic, a decision someone else made years ago as well.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:53 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fantastic - hopefully he's bring it back to Horizon Blue?!
Old 05-22-2015, 03:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Fantastic - hopefully he's bring it back to Horizon Blue?!
Sorry, no. As per the above post the recolour is too thorough to make that viable, plus having seen a car in Horizon Blue Metallic he prefers the current Polar Silver.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:55 PM
RSVP911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there , I think it's time to break cover as the new owner in Blighty of Johns lovely 3.6 Turbo. I just want to thank John for selling me the car - he was a true gentleman - we worked really well together to get this car from one side of the world to the other - this takes lots of time and effort and above all trust on both sides - but we did it. I have ended up with an original panels , matching numbers , accident free , 3.6 Turbo , of which I think there are roughly 40 RHD in the UK . I promised John that I wasn't a speculator , but a true enthusiast that was buying the car to keep and that I would take care of it as he did : I stand by that as the brief I've given to Ollie at RPM Technik is really simple "please return the car to showroom condition" This will involve a bare metal re spray , callipers repainted , Speedline recondition , engine rebuild and a few other bits and bobs - as you can imagine I'm very excited , but at the same time I've had to learn to be patient - I first made contact with John (via Macca) in November of last year - I think the car will be ready in July and then I will finally get to drive a 964 Turbo - yep I have never even driven a 964 , I fell in love with the car as I think it's the prettiest 911 Porsche have ever made (well maybe pre 74 cars give it a run for its money ?) John , this is your thread so I'll keep updating you from the UK and will follow your lead - keep well my friend ' R

P.S - re paint colour - huge amounts of deliberation from me on this one - head said put back to Horizon Blue Metallic (original colour) , but if I did this it would purely be for financial reasons as it would make the car original - in truth though I love Polar Silver and I am not a fan of HBM (colour is such a personal thing) so my heart said keep with PS - in truth the car will have been PS for the vast majority of its life so in my book that makes it its "true" original colour and also , as I now 100 % know that the original re spray was for aesthetic reasons only , I figured that actually this was the right way to go from a province perspective - I know a lot of people will disagree , but I just couldn't paint it a colour that I didn't like. I would love to get hold of the original owner and find out why he re painted it - John tried and failed , so I think this is unlikely.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:40 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Look forward to more....

Interesting car and looks like a "one of" in the restoration... neat story.

Originally Posted by RSVP911
Hi there , I think it's time to break cover as the new owner in Blighty of Johns lovely 3.6 Turbo. I just want to thank John for selling me the car - he was a true gentleman - we worked really well together to get this car from one side of the world to the other - this takes lots of time and effort and above all trust on both sides - but we did it. I have ended up with an original panels , matching numbers , accident free , 3.6 Turbo , of which I think there are roughly 40 RHD in the UK . I promised John that I wasn't a speculator , but a true enthusiast that was buying the car to keep and that I would take care of it as he did : I stand by that as the brief I've given to Ollie at RPM Technik is really simple "please return the car to showroom condition" This will involve a bare metal re spray , callipers repainted , Speedline recondition , engine rebuild and a few other bits and bobs - as you can imagine I'm very excited , but at the same time I've had to learn to be patient - I first made contact with John (via Macca) in November of last year - I think the car will be ready in July and then I will finally get to drive a 964 Turbo - yep I have never even driven a 964 , I fell in love with the car as I think it's the prettiest 911 Porsche have ever made (well maybe pre 74 cars give it a run for its money ?) John , this is your thread so I'll keep updating you from the UK and will follow your lead - keep well my friend ' R

P.S - re paint colour - huge amounts of deliberation from me on this one - head said put back to Horizon Blue Metallic (original colour) , but if I did this it would purely be for financial reasons as it would make the car original - in truth though I love Polar Silver and I am not a fan of HBM (colour is such a personal thing) so my heart said keep with PS - in truth the car will have been PS for the vast majority of its life so in my book that makes it its "true" original colour and also , as I now 100 % know that the original re spray was for aesthetic reasons only , I figured that actually this was the right way to go from a province perspective - I know a lot of people will disagree , but I just couldn't paint it a colour that I didn't like. I would love to get hold of the original owner and find out why he re painted it - John tried and failed , so I think this is unlikely.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:37 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RSVP911
I know a lot of people will disagree , but I just couldn't paint it a colour that I didn't like. .
It will likely hold more value as original color, but if it's not og paint, it's already lost some of the reason to keep the color the same. Either way, it's worth every penny lost if it enhances your enjoyment of the car. I just went through the same thing on the respray of my 15 window so I know what you went though.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:42 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Sorry, no. As per the above post the recolour is too thorough to make that viable, plus having seen a car in Horizon Blue Metallic he prefers the current Polar Silver.
Fair enough, if every single bit has been put to Polar Silver that's fair enough. Apologies I missed that bit.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Fair enough, if every single bit has been put to Polar Silver that's fair enough. Apologies I missed that bit.
It has. When the body shop expert looked at the car I had to tell him where to find the original colour evidence, the recolour was that thorough.

When the car is finished it will be perfect in my mind. Yes, maybe there's a portion of the market that will buy nothing but OE colour, but I think this car will have so many balancing positives, if the owner chooses to sell at some stage. I own a C4 and had the Turbo 3.6 at the same time. They are a different quality fit out. Where my C4 has plastic etc the Turbo 3.6 has leather. To my dying day I will recall the interior smell, it's like no other. Then there is the engine. The Turbo 3.6 is a beautiful drive and even the body is a pleasure to to clean.

I regret I didn't have the long term storage space and means to take her to the next level, which is what is being done now. I bought an R out of part of the proceeds (ex UK which is an irony as I exported this car to the UK) which is more usable on a daily basis, so it's a first world problem, but I feel very lucky that I had her for 13 years.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

More photos to keep the thread alive until Richard sends me more of the build itself.
Attached Images   
Old 05-24-2015, 06:34 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

A few more
Attached Images   
Old 05-24-2015, 06:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

At some stage they need to be paraded (not on the Track Richard!)
Attached Images   
Old 05-25-2015, 05:58 PM
RSVP911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John. Love the new photos , not seen some of these ones before - particularly like the one with the 993/6 Turbos in shot - 964 for me every day of the week - looks very cool IMHO - will post more when I have something new - cheers
Old 06-02-2015, 07:24 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Engine - apparently the builder has built loads of air cooled engines & lots of 3.6 Turbo engines - never ever seen this issue and is stumped - other than the issue the engine is really immaculate and will look like a brand spanker when done - he is adamant that the bottom end is fine and doesn't need doing.

Lots of parts ordered , some old parts cleaned up / re chromed / plated , etc :
Attached Images     
Old 06-02-2015, 07:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Exactly as related to me by Richard:

Onto the body shop - Phil is a true 100% perfectionist - we are in really good hands - I know it will come back perfect - John , you would have been very proud , he's never seen an old Porsche with wait for it - Not 1mm if rust anywhere on its immaculate original panels . The car has had some filler in it where normal wear and tear has happened - but no more - the panel beater (whose name I can't remember - lovely chap though ) had removed and mended every relevant bit so the lines are 100 % perfect with not an ounce of filler on the whole car - so we have a rust and filler free bare metal re spray that will be done in a fully sealed environment - they have done / will do the following :

Removed what is estimated to be over 20kg of paint ! (15 layers - 3 coats)

Then added 5 coats highly build primer.
2 coats acid etched ( rust protector)
1 coat wet primer
4 coats colour - had 3 swatch cards to chose from - gone for proper 1993 colour !
3 coats of laquer
Cut - to make lacquer mirror finish
Polish

Phil has purposely gone out and bought a brand new top of the range paint gun ! He's very fired up about the whole thing

The metal that finished feels amazing - as smooth as fresh plaster - I am really excited !
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: 1993 Turbo 3.6 refresh