Sponsored by:

Cone sytle filter vs Airbox

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 02:50 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cone sytle filter vs Airbox

Kinda curious about these cone filter for our cars. Don't know if I'd get one, but I'd like to know.

Example BMC:

another (stole offline):

I'm currently running a drilled airbox with a paper filter.

Is there any benefit to the cone style filters? Other than looking pretty cool.

What is involved with replacing the factory airbox with one?
Old 05-15-2015, 03:42 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

General consensus: Cone filter is a liability and doesn't make more power or sound better.
Stock air box is the ticket, solid or DRILLED.

Do all cone filters have to be oiled? That's were the problem starts...
Old 05-15-2015, 03:48 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Ahh, so like the idea behind a K&N.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:50 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Cone Filter?

My car came with one when I bought it. They are loud from intake resonance. It took me about six months to find a complete filter box and put mine back stock.... Stock is a PITA to change the filter... but not much more than trying to change the cone, wash it, oil it, and reinstall it. $.02
Old 05-15-2015, 04:10 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

From some dyno experience:

1) Cone filters work better on engines using an airflow meter such as a 3.2 Carrera or 964.

2) Cone filters affect drivability & power on engines using a MAFS due to introduced turbulence and non-laminar airflow.

3) Oiled gauze cone filters (all) do not filter as well as the factory paper panel filter and this shows up in UOA's as well as in the engine. For race cars, this is not a big concern due to the limited mileage between rebuilds, however this should be considered for street cars.

4) We see more power with a factory airbox using a cutaway frame (or properly drilled cover) to hold the filter element compared to clamping on a cone filter right onto the MAFS.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:14 PM
ALEX P
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about intake length and path Steve? Have you done any dyno testing on these?

As in there are two main styles of cone filter, the ones that attach directly to the AFM and the ones with the longer inlet and generally a 90 degree bend?
Old 05-15-2015, 05:59 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

And speaking of MAFs, do you recommend this conversion? I feel like it used to be all the rage years ago but you don't hear much about it these days. Would love to hear your thoughts Steve. Thanks!

And can you explain the cut away frame vs drilled. Is the frame similar to what you find on the 993 motorsound? Can it be purchased?

Last edited by GBX; 05-15-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:25 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Do all cone filters have to be oiled? That's were the problem starts...
Companies like AEM sell cone filters that do not need oil. They are designed to be dry elements.

Regardless, unlike MAF cars (e.g. 993, like picture in original post) I don't think AFM cars (i.e. flapper box air flow meter) are affected by oiled filters.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Vancleef
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed a Uni Foam filter, it needs to be oiled and cleaned every so often. But I liked it and it cost me $9+11 shipping. It replaced some Spectre cone filter that was rusting and nasty. Uni is big in the quads and motorcycle scene. I personally like the foam filters better than cotton gauze. Much easier to clean and re oil, and it weighs much less than the Cone filter.

Our cars are AFM and the oil doesn't mess with anything, since our oil breather is already piped into the intake.
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2015, 10:26 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What elbow for the filter are you using Vancleef?
Old 05-15-2015, 10:54 PM
Vancleef
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't purchase the elbow, it came with the car when I purchased it, but the red clamp says spectre on it. I left that and just added that foam filter. Their website might have piping available

http://www.spectreperformance.com/ca...ake-components
Old 05-16-2015, 02:50 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEX P
What about intake length and path Steve? Have you done any dyno testing on these?
Yes,...quite a bit. Intake length between the AFM and air cleaner isn't critical, however diameter, & turn radius is. If I use a cone-type filter, I prefer to locate that closer to the decklid grille to admit cooler air.

As in there are two main styles of cone filter, the ones that attach directly to the AFM and the ones with the longer inlet and generally a 90 degree bend?
There are different brands, but they are all very close in design to each other. The rest of the differences lie with the hardware supplied by each vendor.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:14 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

I've added a cone to mine quite recently, I know there isn't supposed to be any power increase, I'm fine with that...
I mainly did it for aesthetic reasons, but I'm happy to report that there's a lovely induction roar and the car seems to pick up and go better, probably just me being fooled by the increased noise!

Old 05-16-2015, 05:26 AM
ALEX P
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Yes,...quite a bit. Intake length between the AFM and air cleaner isn't critical, however diameter, & turn radius is. If I use a cone-type filter, I prefer to locate that closer to the decklid grille to admit cooler air.

There are different brands, but they are all very close in design to each other. The rest of the differences lie with the hardware supplied by each vendor.
Interesting, cheers Steve
Old 05-17-2015, 11:35 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vancleef
I installed a Uni Foam filter, it needs to be oiled and cleaned every so often. But I liked it and it cost me $9+11 shipping. It replaced some Spectre cone filter that was rusting and nasty. Uni is big in the quads and motorcycle scene. I personally like the foam filters better than cotton gauze. Much easier to clean and re oil, and it weighs much less than the Cone filter.

Our cars are AFM and the oil doesn't mess with anything, since our oil breather is already piped into the intake.
That's a sweet little set up.

Quick Reply: Cone sytle filter vs Airbox