Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mount bolt broke...any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 02:31 PM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motor mount bolt broke...any suggestions?

Hey All,

Was removing my motor mounts this morning and one of the 13mm bolts snapped on the way out. Since it was half way out already there was no access from the bottom. So I tired drilling out and using an extractor and left hand bit but neither of these worked. So I tried drilling out to one size down and using a tap but I couldn't get it started and my tap is not long enough as the bolt that snapped is the one on the drivers side accessed through the little hole.

Not sure what else to try. As a last resort I was wondering if would be safe to drill the hole out a little bigger and just use a nut and bolt to fasten the motor mount.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2015, 04:11 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, it sounds to me like your only choice now is to drill with the proper tap drill and then retap the hole. use an extended tap handle like THIS and a 8mm starter tap (not 13mm ) with some cutting fluid on and you should be good to go.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:11 PM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

Thanks. I'll head over to the hardware store and see what they have. Failing that what do you think of the idea of just using a longer bolt and putting a nut on the other end?
Old 04-25-2015, 08:00 PM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

Tried two different stores. Neither had the proper tools. I'll have to order them. In the mean time I've drilled it out and put a through bolt with a washer and nut on instead. I'm thinking this will be fine since those bolts don't really hold any weight.

Quick Reply: Motor mount bolt broke...any suggestions?