Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's a thing only 964 owners will inderstand...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 06:21 AM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's a thing only 964 owners will inderstand...

I'm kinda fortunate. The yellow 996 is mine. The white 991 belongs to a customer, but I have free reign of the car. He doesn't drive it much, so I'm responsible for keeping the wheels turning on a regular basis...

But the thing my watercooled Porsche mates can't really fathom is, why I park these two cars in my shop and take my 964 home for the weekend? I think the question is the answer. And please, I'm not an attention ***** and this post is not boasting, it's just the way it is. I just love my little 964

Old 03-28-2015, 06:56 AM
mf_rsr
Pro

I love it too! Nice 964!
Old 03-28-2015, 10:44 AM
peter_jansen
Instructor

The 964 is my fourth vehicle and my absolute all time favourite. I get it.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:44 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The musical notes of our air-cooled flat 6 are just mesmerizing! During the winter hiatus, I just sit in the garage and blip the engine so I can hear that beautiful rumble.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:10 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 03-28-2015, 12:01 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

All of my Porsche's are air-cooled but usually every couple of years I think I need a more "modern" Porsche. I justify it by saying they're safer, faster, more comfortable, more capable and my wife would prefer riding in it. So I buy whatever the cool water cooled flavor of the day is. I bring it home and "try" to sell myself on how amazing it is (which it really is..) but ultimately I find it just sits. 6 months later I sell it having put usually less than 500 miles on it. You would think I would learn... Thankfully I am smart enough to never sell one of the other cars to buy it, that would be a HUGE problem!

Ultimately the old ones just speak to me and the 964 simply yells how amazing it is.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:11 PM
avbw
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nathan1
All of my Porsche's are air-cooled but usually every couple of years I think I need a more "modern" Porsche. I justify it by saying they're safer, faster, more comfortable, more capable and my wife would prefer riding in it. So I buy whatever the cool water cooled flavor of the day is. I bring it home and "try" to sell myself on how amazing it is (which it really is..) but ultimately I find it just sits. 6 months later I sell it having put usually less than 500 miles on it. You would think I would learn... Thankfully I am smart enough to never sell one of the other cars to buy it, that would be a HUGE problem!

Ultimately the old ones just speak to me and the 964 simply yells how amazing it is.
I agreed with you. Well said.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just over a year ago I took a new 991 for a good long test drive. Before I did I was worried that I would spoil myself and prefer it over my 964. Although I was impressed with the 991, it's a completely different experience than the 964 and the 991 didn't even come close to spoiling me. Drove off in my 964 with a smile.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:37 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

not hard to understand, at all. the cats who drive the boilers would probably disagree, some even stating that we're driving "agrarian" relics; but if you have an air cooled porsche you just know. trying to explain it someone who doesn't share or have the same experience would be like trying to explain how good sex is to a virgin. they have no context or reference. no doubt, i like and respect the modern cars, but they look like an elephant next to my 993, and if i ever get one, it will be the one staying outside the garage.

Last edited by FLYT993; 03-28-2015 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Life only has so many miles... I try to cover most in a 964.

Completely with you.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:11 PM
peter_jansen
Instructor

Originally Posted by FLYT993
not hard to understand, at all. the cats who drive the boilers would probably disagree, some even stating that we're driving "agrarian" relics; but if you have an air cooled porsche you just know. trying to explain it someone who doesn't share or have the same experience would be like trying to explain how good sex is to a virgin. they have no context or reference. no doubt, i like and respect the modern cars, but they look like an elephant next to my 993, and if i ever get one, it will be the one staying outside the garage.
The first explanation isn't worth the hassle. The second however...........
Old 03-28-2015, 05:54 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Coming from a fellow with a 991 as a daily driver to tell you the truth my Carrera S has little soul. Yes, it's comfortable, reliable and the PDK is amazing but I always make sure I remind the fellow 911 driver next to me on the street that he's the one driving the real 911.

The 991 does everything brilliantly but hasn't made my hair on my arms stand on end yet like a nice old 79 SC used to.

Will keep the 991 for daily duty but am on the hunt for the right 964. Perhaps it's because I graduated high school in 90. The 964 was it but way out of reach.

Cheers.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Prbc4
Rennlist Member

Great posts guys...mines a little different, bought my girl "Elise" iN the early 90s put exhaust and a few Ruf upgrades and drove the hell out of her for about 10yrs . Then got in a bad accident with truck at work and had serious insurance problems, nearly bankrupt my company and suffered severe financial probs for almost 10 yrs (construction economy blah blah blah) needles to say in 03 she went into the garage and sat. I would take her out and do my best to take care of her. But after a few years she started getting neglected. I tried to sell her on ebay and screwed someone over last minute knowing I couldn't part with her (after auction was won at like 16k mind you) After almost losing everything, I started to rebound financially which I knew I would some day. But to throw a wrench in getting her on the road....another accident in phila with some bloodsuckers who darted out on me got a reckless driving ticket, never went to hospital, but still managed to sue me and my insurance company for a about 250k. Cops and witnesses found them at fault but my insurance company representing me sided with them and I still now have an at fault accident on my record. But it's not stoping me, the love for Elise is too deep . Just got her running again (bad dme, crank sensor, and fuel pump) and she is running strong! So slow steps for me and when I am ready to do anything exciting to her I will post it for you guys. But I have owned in order 396ss Chevelle, Camaro 350 Iroc. Toyota supra turbo 1989 corvette convertible, a few trucks and SUVs. But there is nothing on this list close to her...so what is it with the 964???
Old 03-28-2015, 06:54 PM
racoguy
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes, same here.
Been there recently with a 997 Turbo, very nice car and goes like nothing else but it just left me cold, hard to explain but I think what it came down to was that it is just too clinical, does everything too well and too easy?
It just didn't give me the same buzz I got when turning the key in my 964, in the older cars you just feel more involved somehow.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by racoguy
Yes, same here.
Been there recently with a 997 Turbo, very nice car and goes like nothing else but it just left me cold, hard to explain but I think what it came down to was that it is just too clinical, does everything too well and too easy?
It just didn't give me the same buzz I got when turning the key in my 964, in the older cars you just feel more involved somehow.
I have a 997 turbo, its the coolest and fastest car Ive ever owned, but I saw a red 964 on the road today and was really wishing I had one.

Quick Reply: Here's a thing only 964 owners will inderstand...