Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to replace front to rear fuel lines - any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Default About to replace front to rear fuel lines - any advice?

Found a fuel leak just by my cat bypass (sniffed it out before anything scary happened, thank the Porsche Gods) - and it is one of the F-R lines, with a hole somewhere between the upward kink and entry to the engine bay. It looks like corroded metal although I read that the lines were meant to be fit-and-forget polyamide. Anyway there sure is fuel dribbling down them!

I am in the process of unbuttoning the undertrays, but anyone any experience of doing this DIY? The rear connectors look easy enough, unbolt and feed down the front of the engine by the shock turret.. but what is the story at the front?And where is my best location to clamp off the lines?

Many thanks in advance - sorry I have been away, the 964 is now one of 4 Porsches, (sharing duties with 996Turbo, 911SC, 356C) but it is still my longest-owned and firm favourite out of the four, oh yes..
Old 03-23-2015, 11:11 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Does this help? I just replaced my fuel pump. So that's a connection but then I think it's just one pipe back to the front of the engine where the diagram shows a short flexible hose and then the last pipe towards the fuel filter.
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2015, 12:07 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

robt964 replaced all his lines, front to back, in his Refurb thread.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:28 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

MAJOR pain. You need to get the car as high as possible. A lift would be invaluable for this. The lines are practically woven into the rear. Bottom shock bolt needs to come out so that you can bend the rear control arm down as far as possible. Rear sway comes out. All kinds of old corroded brackets and such need to move. Center tunnel cover comes out (careful with those body studs). Top of the engine- only the airbox and heater blower need to come out to get access. You'll still be contorting yourself in the back of the engine bay.

The good news is that the front connections are simple.

However, the cat is on the left, the fuel lines come down on the right. Sure that you have the right line? Also, the fuel tank vent line is poly, the feed & return lines are steel with rubber crimped ends. My fuel lines were getting corroded and were very close to leaking where they bend to go to the front of the car too. Porsche still stocks the lines at surprisingly reasonable prices considering they are ~5ft long each. The poly line is just carrying vapor and shouldn't ever drip.

Have fun.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:14 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My supply pipe went in the same place, just in front of the rear wheel on the cat side, where it catches the salt spray. The return was similar, but not as bad, cleaned it up and painted it.

I used ptfe lined hose and AN fittings, threaded it in and used the exisitng fixings and route, a pain, but possible, I agree an original line is best, but I didn't have a ramp and obviously the car was dead and at home.

Let me know if you want any info, I asked Rob for advice before I started, top bloke
Old 03-23-2015, 05:52 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. -nick, I think the lines go down different sides between LHD and RHD cars, for some reason. I'm sure its a good one.. :-)

I haven't been able to confirm whether it is supply or return that is leaking, going out to have a look now.

Have checked Rbt964's thread - I might have known he would make up some uber gucci lines..LOL. At the moment my preference is OEM Porsche hose..I don't have the time/headspace to make up my own lines. I can't see that it will be too painful to fit if I get the car up nice and high..?
Old 03-25-2015, 11:18 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi folks, pretty sure it is the return line, so of the 3, the one nearest the centre of the car (assuming it doesnt cross over weirdly before the engine).

Also it only leaks when the car is on a slope with the tail downhill - when the car is flat it doesnt leak, even when the fuel pump running. So definitely return line, yes? (before I order the part..)

Turns out it is weeping at the last kink before it enters the engine bay, up above the heater hose. Just rusty..

Will document the process.

Cheers!
Old 03-25-2015, 01:18 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
Thanks guys. -nick, I think the lines go down different sides between LHD and RHD cars, for some reason. I'm sure its a good one.. :-)
Besides Porsche making everything much more difficult than it needs to be? Sorry for the mis-info. Hopefully it's an easier fix for the LHD cars. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2015, 10:54 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, Porsche today are saying that the lines are officially NLA, or 'no longer serviced' in dealer language. Its a shame as I am always telling people that you can still get pretty much anything for an old Porsche from the factory. Damn those VW accountants!

So, I'm going to have some made..tdiquattro (and Rbt964), you have PM!

I guess I'll save some money and maybe they'll be easier to fit - don't see why the return line needs to be rigid..

Cheers
Old 03-27-2015, 11:24 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

..or, plan B: if this is a low pressure return line, surely i can just cut the rigid line below the leaking part (leaving the long hard line going through the tunnel undisturbed) and just connect a new flexible line which bypasses the leak and takes it up to the connection on the LHS of the engine?

Hmm..
Old 03-27-2015, 06:09 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just for reference here is the link to my DIY....

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ement-diy.html

Quick Reply: About to replace front to rear fuel lines - any advice?