Sponsored by:

Magnus Walker's 964 barn find

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 11:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas993
You guys crack me up. So which is he, a capitalist or a down to earth Porsche lover that made his money elsewhere and just does it for the love of the brand? It makes no difference to me but lets call a spade a spade. If he were just a rich guy that happens to love Porsches then why does he have a website selling $25 T shirts and $69 hot wheels?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with him for that, you guys are the ones buying them, lol.
You do realize that he is retired on millions and is not making any serious coin selling a few t-shirts and hats as a hobby?

Yes, not everybody who owns old outlaw 911s posts videos online and makes t-shirt around it, but for Magnus, look where it has taken him... he is having fun in retirement and traveling around playing with porsches.

He has exposed outlaws to the masses and inspired many.
Not a bad thing.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:26 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So which is he, a capitalist or a down to earth Porsche lover that made his money elsewhere and just does it for the love of the brand?

Magnus is waiting for an answer............
Old 03-19-2015, 11:50 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

^^ haha perfect.

Regardless of what he's doing, he seems to be having a great time and I can't knock that.

For sure it will be interesting to see another take on the 964, as someone said before a lot of our modifications kind of all look alike.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:17 AM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find everyone on here "hating" on Magnus ridiculous. I don't know him, have never met him, however, he seems like a Porsche enthusiast just like I would assume everyone else on this board. I thought Rennlist and the other boards are gathering places for people to share their thoughts, ideas and passions. I suppose you haters also vilify the rich in this country and assume they are all greedy bastards taking advantage of someone or something. When did someone working hard, coming up with a better mousetrap or just a cool idea become a bad thing in this country???? Everyone that has written on this post, myself included, is promoting Magnus, he is not. There are already 5 pages dedicated to him in a few days. As the saying goes, if you don't have something nice to say than keep it to yourself.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:10 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Here's a good read!

How Magnus Walker became the world's unlikeliest, and most-prized restorer of 911s

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-9314088.html
Old 03-20-2015, 04:00 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixter
Here's a good read!

How Magnus Walker became the world's unlikeliest, and most-prized restorer of 911s

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-9314088.html
Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. The last paragraph says it all really. He could sell out but he's "a Porsche guy"

I'm glad to see a lively debate - and that its shared here. If we lived in a homogeneous world life would be pretty dull
Old 03-20-2015, 04:14 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

He's a Porsche guy, I'm a Porsche guy... that alone is enough for me to approach him if I ever get the chance.

For all the rest, the USA really is a free country, so hate away, I'm sure he doesn't care and keeps on building cars.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:37 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Navaros911
He's a Porsche guy, I'm a Porsche guy... that alone is enough for me to approach him if I ever get the chance.

For all the rest, the USA really is a free country, so hate away, I'm sure he doesn't care and keeps on building cars.
yup.
if he came to my town id throw him the keys to one of my 911s and get him to follow me for a proper tour.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:50 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 104 Posts

Seems that the haters are limited to just a few people on this board.
Everybody has the right to have his own opinion but it's the same group who puts a lot of negativity in several threads.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
yup.
if he came to my town id throw him the keys to one of my 911s and get him to follow me for a proper tour.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I thinking a doubling in price of pretty much all air cooled cars over the last 24 months points to a recent discovery by a group of buyers who were not previously into Porsches.
This is nothing new. It started with the 356's years ago early clean long nose S's started increasing in value far exceeding triple MSRP for well over 15 years and since 2011 all air cooled 911's have been taking off because nobody has a place to put there money and were a cheap alternative compared to Ferrari's and the already popular muscle cars. He is actually well behind the curve by jumping on the 964 so late in the game which has seen huge increases since 2011 far more than most any other air cooled 911. I have been saying this long before anyone knew who he was and have hundreds of posts dating back over 10 years regarding the subject.

I am not saying he doesn't have a unique flair for it. But waiting around drooling to see what he is doing next is laughable IMO. So many others have done this long before he was a public figure he just is good at marketing it and can thank social media for blowing it out of proportion. I have been modifying and adding my own personal flair to air cooled 911's since the 70's I just keep it to myself.

I actually cringe listening to some of the webcasts and the disinformation they babel about. Enthusiastic they are and rightfully so these are great cars if I had his $$ I would probably done the same a long time ago.

BTW I am not hating him I find him entertaining. I just don't see why we need to put him on some pedestal.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:15 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

That about sums it up.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:31 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

yup
Old 03-20-2015, 01:49 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Get them while they last. Just released a 50 years of 911 poster featuring car 277 and signed by Magnus. Only 25 units being sold at the price of $100 each. After he pays the artist and the printer, he can buy the paint for the stripe on his 964.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
So many others have done this long before he was a public figure he just is good at marketing it and can thank social media for blowing it out of proportion. I have been modifying and adding my own personal flair to air cooled 911's since the 70's I just keep it to myself.
I actually cringe listening to some of the webcasts and the disinformation they babel about. Enthusiastic they are and rightfully so these are great cars if I had his $$ I would probably done the same a long time ago.
BTW I am not hating him I find him entertaining. I just don't see why we need to put him on some pedestal.
Anthony, you are by far one of the most generous contributors with a wealth of knowledge on these cars. I just think that there are the Porsche enthusiasts like you and others on this forum who share their passion on a more personal and unconditional level and those like MW who thrive on the recognition and like to put (market) themselves out there to be recognized.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:58 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

So basically, he's like the Kim Kardashian of the Porsche world. Got it.
Blahhh Blahhh Blahhhh

Quick Reply: Magnus Walker's 964 barn find