964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnus Walker's 964 barn find

Old 03-18-2015, 09:53 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

The thing about Magnus is that he does what he does for the love of it. He won't build a car for anyone, just for himself. You can't ask him to build one for you, he won't. People have asked, answer is no, just doing his own thing. I consider him a pal. We met 12 years ago when we were tracking together, and I always found him straight forward, honest, and a true lover of all things P-car. I can assure you, he does not care what anyone thinks, because he does it his way and for the simple pleasure of it. Rock on Mag!!!!
Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

And my point was there are hundreds of guys like that in Southern California and they don't sell T Shirts.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:13 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas993
And my point was there are hundreds of guys like that in Southern California and they don't sell T Shirts.
Are they running a business or playing around with a hobby? Cause maybe they should start...

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 03-19-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:00 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I gotta chime back in. I have to say I'm never sick of seeing 911's. I am sick of seeing some of the same-ness in mods...though I'm sure for the owners of those cars, they feel awesome, cuz they are, even though I have that "seen one seen them all" feeling...

As to Magnus and his cars. I'm kinda done seeing pictures of them. But there is a magnus car that shows up here locally at c and c events...and every time I see it, I get excited and drool...

So yeah. I get sick of looking at the blond chick, and look to the girl next to her, but the blond chick still gets me going...

Of all the modded 911's in the world, there are still only a few Magnus or singer cars...so though I feel done w the same photos...reality is they are special....as are many other hot rodded cars that I haven't seen...
Old 03-19-2015, 02:13 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

more hate for Magnus than I thought there would be! Seems like a cool guy and definitely a 911 fan. You probably owe him a few quid for helping drive the prices of all of our cars up! If he didn't have any recognition and you lot had found him you'd all be saying how much he deserves it!
You shouldn't hate the player........
Old 03-19-2015, 02:33 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

If he truly is just a regular guy that's into Porsches and not seeking the attention, then why does he sell branded stickers, t shirts, wheels etc. is all I'm saying. Nice guy or not, it's a social media marketing machine from where I'm sitting. Personally, I'm not into hero worship but clearly many people are.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:12 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Do people realize that the guy made his millions selling t-shirts and ripped jeans and providing a cinema studio for Hollywood? I think there's a ton of judgement of Magnus based on his appearance. Dude marches to the beat of his own drum and the two times I've met and hung out with him at POC races he seems to be 100% true as a person. He loves the cars. He lives and breathes them. And he's lucky in that he can have a million bucks worth of them in his garage.

Google and watch his TED talk at UCLA if you want more of his back story. He's a pretty cool rags to riches American Dream story and my impression is the riches haven't changed who the guy is at the core.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:27 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't hate the player. Hate the game
Old 03-19-2015, 04:29 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Let me clarify my statements, I don't know him personally and I really don't care if he's a nice guy or not. My comments generally have nothing to do with him. They are more geared towards the people that have placed him on the Porsche throne and many of the comments here substantiate that. I don't see why anybody would want to buy a T-Shirt from him because he makes hot rod Porsches for himself. I can see supporting a shop or a builder/tuner but why would I give my money to some guy from the clothing industry that happens to likes Porsches, to promote himself when he supposedly isn't seeking self-promotion?
Old 03-19-2015, 05:44 PM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me clarify my statements, I don't know him personally and I really don't care if he's a nice guy or not. My comments generally have nothing to do with him. They are more geared towards the people that have placed him on the Porsche throne and many of the comments here substantiate that. I don't see why anybody would want to buy a T-Shirt from him because he makes hot rod Porsches for himself. I can see supporting a shop or a builder/tuner but why would I give my money to some guy from the clothing industry that happens to likes Porsches, to promote himself when he supposedly isn't seeking self-promotion?
Old 03-19-2015, 05:55 PM
davidwilson11
Racer

He made his millions before the Porsches came along. That was and still is his main business. You can't see why anyone would buy his clothes, that's a personal thing but clearly people do as the guys made money.

Why don't you pose the questions to him on facebook. He will reply as he's that type of guy.

I'm all for guys like magus. They keep the dream alive.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:09 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

I personally think there is a difference between respecting someone's brand/liking their brand and sucking their ****. Magnus has branded himself. He's not the first. Pulling from someone that Walker has allied himself with, I'll make the example of Jay Leno's chin. So many people before him have played up the cult of personality. How many Lebron James jerseys have sold?

Any interested party can search around and find that I've never been 100% complimentary of Walker's designs or image. Many of his ideas are not original but draw directly from Porsche's designs themselves. I said that immediately when he did the louver thing on one of his 901 cars, and that's one of the things he's done that I like.

I really think that the Magnus bashers are hung up on this idea that he's a sellout. They think he's a fraud wearing natty dreads he somehow didn't earn (You grow some! I had long hair back at Berkeley. Took me years to grow. Magnus' shyte took decades to grow!). It's like so many rock stars or rappers that made it. Anything that can be torn down will be targeted. The problem I have with how it plays out on the internet is that it becomes personal and a real person becomes the anonymous target of so many snipers. I sympathize with Magnus. I've got a screenname, but 12 seconds of searching reveals that my name is Matt Monson and other than here and 2-3 other forums, I post as Matt Monson. Most people who want to rip on someone like Magnus Walker have screennames like 956forever or 961theforgottencar or some other convoluted variation of the car they worship.

Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers have been getting reworked and tweaked for some time now. Emory was doing to 356s what Magnus is doing over a decade ago. And with the availability of factory R/ST/RS parts, shops and shadetrees alike have been building 901/911 hot rods for at least as long. I see no reason to bag on the guy who is capatilizing on the fact that Porsches suddenly got discovered. He had a vision. He saw it coming. He's cashing in. So what?
Old 03-19-2015, 06:30 PM
davidwilson11
Racer

Originally Posted by GTgears
I personally think there is a difference between respecting someone's brand/liking their brand and sucking their ****. Magnus has branded himself. He's not the first. Pulling from someone that Walker has allied himself with, I'll make the example of Jay Leno's chin. So many people before him have played up the cult of personality. How many Lebron James jerseys have sold?

Any interested party can search around and find that I've never been 100% complimentary of Walker's designs or image. Many of his ideas are not original but draw directly from Porsche's designs themselves. I said that immediately when he did the louver thing on one of his 901 cars, and that's one of the things he's done that I like.

I really think that the Magnus bashers are hung up on this idea that he's a sellout. They think he's a fraud wearing natty dreads he somehow didn't earn (You grow some! I had long hair back at Berkeley. Took me years to grow. Magnus' shyte took decades to grow!). It's like so many rock stars or rappers that made it. Anything that can be torn down will be targeted. The problem I have with how it plays out on the internet is that it becomes personal and a real person becomes the anonymous target of so many snipers. I sympathize with Magnus. I've got a screenname, but 12 seconds of searching reveals that my name is Matt Monson and other than here and 2-3 other forums, I post as Matt Monson. Most people who want to rip on someone like Magnus Walker have screennames like 956forever or 961theforgottencar or some other convoluted variation of the car they worship.

Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers have been getting reworked and tweaked for some time now. Emory was doing to 356s what Magnus is doing over a decade ago. And with the availability of factory R/ST/RS parts, shops and shadetrees alike have been building 901/911 hot rods for at least as long. I see no reason to bag on the guy who is capatilizing on the fact that Porsches suddenly got discovered. He had a vision. He saw it coming. He's cashing in. So what?
Thumbup
Old 03-19-2015, 07:10 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

So basically, he's like the Kim Kardashian of the Porsche world. Got it.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:22 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So basically, he's like the Kim Kardashian of the Porsche world. Got it.
Lol post of the year.

For Srs though, anyone who gets the automotive scene in front of more/new people is fine in my book. If ten kids get into porsches because of magnus, or anyone else for that matter, I'd say that's good for our hobby. All pr and t-shirt sales aside.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Magnus Walker's 964 barn find