964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central Locking question

Old 02-20-2015, 03:45 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I had same issue after swapping out door panels and inside handles. I did not touch outside handle or any mechanisms..turns out the connector for inside door handle (is it a bowden cable?) was binding up as I didnt have everything aligned, once I straightened that out the "bouncing lock problem" was cleared..

Occrams razor again..check the simple things first
Old 02-20-2015, 04:13 AM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvertarga
I had same issue after swapping out door panels and inside handles. I did not touch outside handle or any mechanisms..turns out the connector for inside door handle (is it a bowden cable?) was binding up as I didnt have everything aligned, once I straightened that out the "bouncing lock problem" was cleared..

Occrams razor again..check the simple things first
Interesting... not quite sure what you mean though? The only connector for the inside door handle is a brass lever? which cable please?
Old 02-20-2015, 08:56 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Its the piece that goes through the door handle and connects to the flat door opening flap. the misalignment of the door handle on the inside (the thing you pull the door closed with) and that connecting piece was the cause of the "bouncing lock" in my case
Old 02-20-2015, 11:44 AM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Seems like a popular issue today! Anyone have any guidance based on the short video below?

Background: worked perfectly, changed door card, now driver's side door doesn't close. For comparison, the passenger side still works very well. This seems like more a mechanical issue than a microswitch one, but perhaps similar to Hepkats?
Old 02-20-2015, 12:51 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

dhc, yours looks like the rod that connects into a bush for the rotating **** has popped out. Peel back the membrane left of the **** and you'll see what I mean.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Old 02-20-2015, 01:36 PM
dhc905
Banned

Awesome, will try that as soon as I get home. Thanks Boxsey.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:12 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

well, i fixed it.

However, no idea what I did

I pulled the window frame out so that I could access the door lock mechanism. Complete disconnected the mechanism. Pulled the mechanism out of the door. Cleaned it all up in petrol, dried it then lubricated the lock mechanism just where it should be. Reassembled the whole thing and reinstalled into the door, put all the window frame pieces back in. And viola - it worked.

go figure? ok, on to next project !!
Old 02-21-2015, 12:20 PM
dhc905
Banned

Ok, my rods seem to be in good shape but there's a rubber bumper of some sort that seems out of place. I tried moving it around and finding a logical place for it (it's shaped funny, sort of like a circumsized *****) so I though it obviously fits into the warm and wet area right next to the rotating lock mechanism. But all it seems to do there is block it from moving. Any ideas where it's supposed to go? I figure that's my issue...

Originally Posted by hepkat63
well, i fixed it.

However, no idea what I did

I pulled the window frame out so that I could access the door lock mechanism. Complete disconnected the mechanism. Pulled the mechanism out of the door. Cleaned it all up in petrol, dried it then lubricated the lock mechanism just where it should be. Reassembled the whole thing and reinstalled into the door, put all the window frame pieces back in. And viola - it worked.

go figure? ok, on to next project !!
Old 02-21-2015, 12:45 PM
dhc905
Banned

Quick update:

So I got it to move after I manually moved the striker (the rotating piece on the door that actually locks and unlocks based around the fixed piece on the door jam). However, it still doesn't work. From the outside I cannot lock the car with my key, and from the inside, I can't lock or unlock (similar sound/feel as the video I posted before).

Tried playing with my passenger side door to see if that was still working and lo and behold it's also screwed up now. In the locked position, I cannot open or lock from the outside using the key.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:01 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dhc905
Ok, my rods seem to be in good shape but there's a rubber bumper of some sort that seems out of place. I tried moving it around and finding a logical place for it (it's shaped funny, sort of like a circumsized *****) so I though it obviously fits into the warm and wet area right next to the rotating lock mechanism. But all it seems to do there is block it from moving. Any ideas where it's supposed to go? I figure that's my issue...
According to PET it's a rubber mounting for the connecting rod and is located about half way along it's length. I can't remember seeing one on mine. So I guess it got lost at some point and therefore is not critical to the operation. Try sliding it away from the **** mechanism and see if your locking then works?
Old 02-21-2015, 01:32 PM
dhc905
Banned

Thanks Boxsey; I found it's hole and you're right its half way down (there is a square cutout from the door where it sits.

Passenger side works or never didn't work. But here's where I'm at with the driver's side:

First 1/3 of the video shows that when unlocked, I cannot lock using the interior mechanism (same issue I've always had). Second third, shows that if I manually lock it using the catch, I can rotate the interior locking mechanism fully (so rules out an issue with the mechanism, I believe), and final 1/3 shows that after I unlock the door (I pulled the door open strap from the RSA card), it goes back to the original issue where I cannot actuate or really do anything from the interior locking mechanism.

Same is pretty much true from the outside using the key.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:13 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

yes, that rubber piece goes in the square 'hole' about half way along.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:40 AM
dhc905
Banned

Bump, still stumped. I WD40 everything I could and will start pulling things out if I can't get this sucker to work
Old 02-22-2015, 11:42 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dhc905

First 1/3 of the video shows that when unlocked, I cannot lock using the interior mechanism (same issue I've always had). Second third, shows that if I manually lock it using the catch, I can rotate the interior locking mechanism fully (so rules out an issue with the mechanism, I believe), and final 1/3 shows that after I unlock the door (I pulled the door open strap from the RSA card), it goes back to the original issue where I cannot actuate or really do anything from the interior locking mechanism.

Same is pretty much true from the outside using the key.
I might be stating something obvious here...so bear with me. The **** locking mechanism does not work when a door is open. I've just been out and confirmed this on mine - **** works to lock and unlock with door closed but does not work either way when I have the door open.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Central Locking question