Sponsored by:

To chip or not to chip

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 09:39 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts
Default To chip or not to chip

Ran a search to get opinions to chipping with a Steve Wong chip. All the threads in this are a couple of years old on this...and get into a mess of charts, which evolves to inevitable debates and otherwise - which is great - but they don't seem to answer the core question for me which is....will the car feel more nimble-quick- throttle response....fun to drive...with the installation of a SW chip? Is there any opinions to downsides to an older bone stock car like mine that has never been ridden particularly hard? I have a screamer in the garage so don't need raw horsepower or speed - just wanted the air cooled experience in a fun classic car - and this one seemed perfect.

It is bone stock, perfectly documented with stamped books and service history, sold and serviced from the same Porsche dealer its entire life - 101,000 KM or 62,750 miles..Black-black cab - 17" Cups, teardrop mirrors now lowering 23 mm to lower suspension height with this chip likely the only mod. Opinions please and thanks?
Old 01-28-2015, 09:57 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Based on my Wong chip thread, it's been over 5 years since I've installed mine. At least I can confirm it's been reliable.

(Wong 93 octane, cat bypass, primary bypass chip)

I still have a rock solid idle. With the chip, the car feels crisper and stronger down low. The sub 4000 RPM power and response is what I’m most happy about.

After that, the most noticeable gain came from installing a cat bypass. I installed the cat bypass a couple years after the chip and was very used to the response of the car, so I was rather surprised by the improvement that the cat bypass made. Much improved sound and throttle response.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:25 AM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go ahead and try it. It will improve availability of low end torque. You should get better fuel economy as well. Frankly technology has come a long way since the engineers designed the original maps 25+ years ago. You will like it, and if you don't you can probably resell it here for what you bought it for.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try driving one. I got a Steve Weiner chip (who frequently chimes in on here) and I'm extremely happy with it. It smoothed everything out over the powerband, car seems to move better on the low end, and the idle is better.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:29 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

I got the Steve Wong chip (stage 2) mainly for lumpy idle - I notice a bit of a difference at low end take off, and much smoother overall. If it's not a custom chip, he has a refund policy I believe if you're not happy with it too!!
Where in Ontario are you? We can go for a drive in my car some time - mind you it's a C4 with mods, so won't be comparable to your C2, but drop me a line if you want.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:06 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Chip it You'll love it...
Old 01-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

Thank you all...ordered one from Steve Wong - already got the tracking notice from USPS its on its way - but given the snow here, it will be April before I can report back. I appreciate the support and advice.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:33 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by justin-in-athens
Frankly technology has come a long way since the engineers designed the original maps 25+ years ago.
That's a joke! Another one who 'bought-into' the hyperbole. The naive always get 'sucked-in' by the other lemmings.
Read here; https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-the-myth.html

Bottom line: Always locate those 100 octane gas stations before any long trip!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:39 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm S.W. chipped to. Zero issues.

Top end ported and polished, aftermarket exahaust, and lightweight flywheel. My car came that way.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:21 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

I have the SW chip. I noticed a nice improvement and low-end pick up. I'm happy with mine. Loren ,you're going to give yourself a heart attack worrying about these chips.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:35 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had 2 SW chips:

1. Wong 93 octane, primary bypass chip
2. Wong 93 octane, cat bypass, primary bypass chip

Both improve the overall composure of the car (rock solid idle, less likely to stall at low rpms, slight increase in throttle response). When I went with the cat bypass I was getting backfiring when downshifting and slowing down the car so I sprung for the updated chip and the backfiring disappeared.

When you consider the high cost for most parts on these cars, the cost of the SW chip is very fairly priced.

Go for it!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Streetdaddy
I have the SW chip. I noticed a nice improvement and low-end pick up. I'm happy with mine. Loren ,you're going to give yourself a heart attack worrying about these chips.
Now you have to use a higher octane fuel to keep the engine from pinging (detonation)
and damaging the engine. What kind of an improvement is that? That's the scam!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:43 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

He offers chips for 91 and 93 octane so how is it a scam exactly?
Old 01-29-2015, 07:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

I recently dynoed my 1990 C4. While the low power of the C4 caused issues with the dyno built to handle 1,000kW monsters we got some base curves with two ECUs.

The lower two curves are a Japanese ECU standard.

The upper curves are a Singapore ECU with a SW chip designed for a muffler bypass and 98 RON gas.

The latter produced 20kW more at the rear wheels.

Now there could be ECU differences between countries making all the difference. You make your own judgement on that. I'm moving on to a Typhoon ECU so am not going to do multiple runs pulling chips in and out to make a scientific assessment. What i can say is that the ECU and/or chip in your car may limit its power output. I have definitive proof of that.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2015, 09:33 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by mike9186
He offers chips for 91 and 93 octane so how is it a scam exactly?
If you read and understood what's posted in the link (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-the-myth.html),
all that has been done is the very simple process of increasing the ignition timing.
This results in the margin of safety before the engine begins to ping/detonate being reduced
if the octane level being used isn't increased. This becomes especially problematic under
high temps/loads where the knock control system can no longer prevent pinging/detonation.
So to most it may appear that the "tuner" has really accomplished what Porsche wasn't able to,
but in reality it just another hyped performance scam, i.e. the engine's margin of safety
has been compromised for so-called performance. That's the point!!

Quick Reply: To chip or not to chip