Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Report after upgrade to 993 uprights - long

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:10 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the overall response guys! I totally understand the opinion some of you have regarding cost vs. worth it, but this all depends on what perspective you have. In my case I want to build a car that drives as well as it possibly can, and looks cool which for me means Cup-style. I don’t have the money to dump the car outside a garage and “build me a nice car and send me the bill!” Therefore I have done things I small steps. I’ve been developing it for 10 years now. On the other hand I also think it’s fun to do stuff myself and learn things along the way.

As said, I think it was time to replace many part in the front due to age. A fact is that 993 parts are almost always at the same price or cheaper than 964 parts. So an upgrade to 993, regardless of which part is almost always a good thing since the part also have been developed compared to the 964 version.

My car has all the things you can do to a 964 chassis without going custom so the front was the only thing missing to reach the “final level”. Is the difference worth it? Maybe, maybe not. The cheapest way to reduce bump steer is to increase the ride height! But again, I think it is about the overall picture when you do upgrades on a car. Some things make a big difference and others not so big. But the sum of all things makes a difference. It’s like when you read a car magazine and they compare, let’s say, the 997GT3 Gen1 vs Gen2. The comments on the newer car are almost always quotes like “feels more planted, more settled on bumpy road, can carry more speed in corners, etc etc”. My car is now very nice to drive, predictable and very neutral and I can compare this with RS, Cups and Turbo’s I’ve tested on the track. I’d say that if there would have been a facelift version/Mk2 of the 964 it’s possible that this would have been the result after Porsche had done their little tweaks. But going back to the car test above, are you happier if you buy a new GT3 compared to the one you have? Maybe, maybe not. Does it drive better, probably – do you prefer the feeling of the car you have, maybe.

So to sum up, I knew that 993 uprights wouldn’t be a dramatic change, same thing with springs plates and bushings in the rear. The overall result though is much better.

These words weren't meant to justify this project, more a prespective on upgrading your car.

Thomas
Old 12-17-2014, 06:17 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
Thanks for the overall response guys! I totally understand the opinion some of you have regarding cost vs. worth it, but this all depends on what perspective you have. In my case I want to build a car that drives as well as it possibly can, and looks cool which for me means Cup-style. I don’t have the money to dump the car outside a garage and “build me a nice car and send me the bill!” Therefore I have done things I small steps. I’ve been developing it for 10 years now. On the other hand I also think it’s fun to do stuff myself and learn things along the way.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Perfect timing and great write up. I am about to do this same upgrade on my track build. I am surprised the side beams make that much of a difference I purchased a set and although I have not measured it appears the 993 units have only slightly longer tabs but I am glad I sourced a set cheap and will use them per your advice.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:02 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread, will be well read over the years I suspect.

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Rob, 964RS uprights are the same so the ONLY way to reduce/eliminate bump steer is to either install the 993RS/EVO pieces or raise the car above RS ride height.
Steve do you know if the 993 tt uprights are different to the RS/EVO ones?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:38 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by cobalt
Perfect timing and great write up. I am about to do this same upgrade on my track build. I am surprised the side beams make that much of a difference I purchased a set and although I have not measured it appears the 993 units have only slightly longer tabs but I am glad I sourced a set cheap and will use them per your advice.
glad to help! It's not only the tabs. If you look at my picture you can see that the shape of the side beams is more curved which positions the mounting holes more outwards.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:49 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by jevvy964
Great thread, will be well read over the years I suspect.

Steve do you know if the 993 tt uprights are different to the RS/EVO ones?
RS has it's own part number so I'm pretty sure that all other models have the same version incl Turbo.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:58 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

glad to help! It's not only the tabs. If you look at my picture you can see that the shape of the side beams is more curved which positions the mounting holes more outwards.
Got ya. I was so focused on the tabs I never looked closely at the end mount. Glad I am read this first.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:05 AM
perelet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thomas, I'm the guy who wrote pelican writeup. There's one more detail, worth mentioning. Over years Porsche revised front wheel hub/tension ring/abs gear coupling several times (see my writeup) and at the end they issued this tech bulletin

I had heck of time tracing all part #' but practically it mandates to replace 964 hubs/tension ring with 993 parts. Given that and all trouble of doing switch, I think it's worth doing. When doing switch swap abs rings.

I described it mid page here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...pension-2.html

964 hub/tension ring combo will physically fit 993rs hub, but there must have been good reason for that bulletin to exist
Not that it is common for 964 front wheels to fall out, but you never know

Oleg.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:23 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Hi Oleg! Yes your thread was very useful. I tried to contact you when I had my "issues" but didn't have any success.

I saw your info about the hub/tension ring but didn't get it. I couldn't see any problems with the set up when I mounted the parts.

But just to be clear, what is the option you suggest?

Is it to buy tension ring part number 993.341.155.01 then remove the ABS ring from it and replace it with the old ring from the 964 tension ring?
Old 12-19-2014, 07:31 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Great write up, well done .
Old 12-19-2014, 10:51 PM
perelet
Instructor

Is it to buy tension ring part number 993.341.155.01 then remove the ABS ring from it and replace it with the old ring from the 964 tension ring?
I rarely go to boards and do not remember my login for most
Thomas, you'll need both 993 hub and ring (and switch abs gear). Inner dimension changes, so new ring will not fit old hub.

Reason for that bulliten was with original design. It is easier to see - i have pics in my thread. Inner wheel bearing ring was supporting tension ring and outer wheel bearing ring was supporting hub. Significant suspension loads will results in uneven bearing wear, which is not good.

I think there's no reason for you to taear it apart. Next time you'll replace bearing you can go for newer hub/ring.

For people just starting this conversion - using 993 hub/ring is good idea

Oleg.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:29 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Aha, got it. Thanks for input and the help/use I had by finding your pelican-thread.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thomas, thank you for taking the time to post this, excellent write up

I pick up 993 RS uprights tomorrow and will order the other bits and bobs too

I'm sure I'll do a few track days but I'm doing it more for bumpy, twisty alpine road driving.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:10 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Maybe to get even a better feel would be to upgrade the outer tie rods with ball bearing ,
I am really thinking doing this upgrade , I think I have most parts ,
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2016, 06:45 AM
Rioja del 73
Intermediate

Hi there!

I did this upright too but I am having problems with the ABS, being too intervinient now.

Did you have this problem?

Quick Reply: Report after upgrade to 993 uprights - long