Sponsored by:

Very rich air/fuel, checklist is running low - dyno plots inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 12:04 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer
That just doesn't seem very rich to me... 11-12 is a totally normal value for WOT, perhaps just a tad conservative. You're asking for problems trying to chase down 14+ in wide open running.
11-12 normal for a turbo, but way rich for a na, especially a 964 which will usually be 13-13.5 on a WOT run.

You are right that 14.7 is for idle and cruise really. Though I'm told some really modern stuff now runs that lean at WOT, which is bonkers, but they have found ways to do it for the sake of emissions and economy.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:19 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by alexjc4
You are right that 14.7 is for idle and cruise really. Though I'm told some really modern stuff now runs that lean at WOT, which is bonkers, but they have found ways to do it for the sake of emissions and economy.
That's very interesting! I haven't kept up on the latest modern tuning biz. Not applicable to our 964's, but neat nonetheless.

The chip is tuned to be hitting ~13.1. So something is assuredly wrong.

Next on the list is to figure out a way to see if the intake resonator flap is opening correctly at rpm. GoPro ziptied in the engine bay perhaps? Vacuum to it checks out, as does the electric solenoid response. Though no way of knowing if the motronic is actually telling it to open at the right time other than seeing it in action. Not sure if the mix would go rich if it doesn't open, but it's something to test and rule out.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am by far no expert, but does't the DME ignore the O2 sensor and also the AFM would be maxed at WOT. So is the map for WOT and estimated map based on a specific setup and therefore is not going to adjust based on sensors. If the map is set up correctly, then it would be some restriction in air flow?
Old 12-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck
I am by far no expert, but does't the DME ignore the O2 sensor and also the AFM would be maxed at WOT. So is the map for WOT and estimated map based on a specific setup and therefore is not going to adjust based on sensors. If the map is set up correctly, then it would be some restriction in air flow?
Totally correct! One of the few that's knowledgeable about the 964 DME ECM
functionality which includes so-called "performance chip" makers on this issue.

Quick Reply: Very rich air/fuel, checklist is running low - dyno plots inside