From Germany with love - 964 Widebody Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 09:15 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Undutched
Anthony,

thank you for the detailed descriptions. I have looked at your thread several times, but had not looked to far into the body, until I actually had the engine removed.

I will look into factory 964 parts. I do have a shop to do bodywork. They have done so on my 993, but I would also prefer more or less a factory finish as I have time to look around.

The problem with the carpet won't be the shipping but the VAT and customs, amounting to 19+10+5%
Ouch I see your point. Although at his price which he could adjust would still be around or less than $400 US which is a bit more palatable.

Well best luck if you run into any problems i am always available. Please don't hesitate to drop me a PM I have no doubt you can figure it out but having advanced info never hurts maybe i can save you time. These things always take longer than expected. I sent all my hardware out to be reconditioned. Normally it is a one week turn around just my luck they are swamped and it has been 7 weeks. It is hard to assemble a car without fasteners.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:54 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Ouch I see your point. Although at his price which he could adjust would still be around or less than $400 US which is a bit more palatable.

Well best luck if you run into any problems i am always available. Please don't hesitate to drop me a PM I have no doubt you can figure it out but having advanced info never hurts maybe i can save you time. These things always take longer than expected. I sent all my hardware out to be reconditioned. Normally it is a one week turn around just my luck they are swamped and it has been 7 weeks. It is hard to assemble a car without fasteners.

Hey Anthony, thanks for the heads up! Engine left last evening. I'm hoping it arrives safely!

Projects always take longer than expected. That is my daily routine at work, so nothing new on that side
Old 12-06-2014, 02:07 AM
lverheul
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I couldn't help but noticing your car is an import from Holland. Good luck with the build, looks like a very cool
Project. For the carpets you could try lakewell.com. They do carpet sets, also RS, for around 500€ ex VAT. I believe they are located in Belgium. They also have RS door cards
Old 12-08-2014, 12:28 AM
biggles
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like fun. Are you going with twin or single turbos?
biggles
Old 12-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Hi!

yes I bought the car in the Netherlands, because I couldnt find a single C2, manual in Germany! They all went to the Netherlands.
And thanks for the info with lakewell.

The car was german, was brought to NL on 2003 and I brought it back.

I will got for a single-turbo setup. With the new Turbos on the market, and my plans I prefer the simplicity, and upgrade options of the single turbo setup.
On my last car the single turbo had better spool, top end power than my twin GT2560's.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:51 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

My engine arrived at the engine builder last week. I gotta bring over the engine parts I have collected at home

The engine is being built by Edelweiss Motorsport here in Germany.
Attached Images   
Old 12-19-2014, 06:50 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

So I was at the engine builder yesterday. We talked quite a bit about the heads.

I would like some of your suggestions for the perfect or price/performance head. He had quite a span of prices and parts, so I'd like some input from others.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:24 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The car was german, was brought to NL on 2003 and I brought it back.
This made me smile... they all are German... mine says made in West Germany all over it what a quality seal that was, looking at it 20 years later.

Got my first 911 from NL as well... how come they all ended up in NL.

Very much looking forward to where your build goes.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:09 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I was at the engine builder yesterday. We talked quite a bit about the heads.

I would like some of your suggestions for the perfect or price/performance head. He had quite a span of prices and parts, so I'd like some input from others.

http://www.xtremecylinderheads.com/castings.html

Was speaking to my engine builder yesterday about a 4.0 and this is what they use
Old 12-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link!

But there isn't too much detailed info, nor pricing. Good to know you can buy ready heads! I see a set for 8,000USD, thats not bad, if that includes the heads
Old 12-21-2014, 08:44 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Meh,

I need to get some hardier tools for some of the screws
Attached Images   
Old 12-22-2014, 08:32 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Anybody have a suggestion for the second oil cooler location?

Is it better to go the easy way and install it in the front or go in front of the A/C?
http://p-car.com/diy/oilcooler2/

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rs-93-rsa.html

Old 12-22-2014, 01:18 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I am not running A/C so I am just using a second factory cooler in the A/C location. It will be a PITA to plumb though. I used the A/C bracket and modified it to accommodate the oil cooler. I also plan on running my cooling fan continuously with ignition, not thermally activated. I will have an override switch for really cold days and won't be running hard those days anyhow. Once the thermal switch kicks in the oil is already too hot and will take too long to cool even with dual coolers.

I have heard from others that tried to piggy back off the A/C cooler that it does little to help on hot days. It also prevents the A/C from functioning properly.

The factory had a very nice little cooler used on the Turbo S. IIRC it was a two tube unit that ran about 25" across the lower front just behind the smile without obstructing flow to the A/C or primary oil cooler. You might try to search one out IIRC they used to sell for around $750 but I haven't seen them for sale for years.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:19 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I also plan on running my cooling fan continuously with ignition, not thermally activated. I will have an override switch for really cold days and won't be running hard those days anyhow. Once the thermal switch kicks in the oil is already too hot and will take too long to cool even with dual coolers.
I've recently wired in one of these (M14 fitting)

I didn't use the loom they provided and instead rejigged the existing oil cooler temp sensor wires so that the relay still lives in its original position in the fuse box. Keeps everything tucked away and can be set to whatever temp you want. No longer controlled by the CCU Might be worth considering.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robt964
I've recently wired in one of these (M14 fitting)

I didn't use the loom they provided and instead rejigged the existing oil cooler temp sensor wires so that the relay still lives in its original position in the fuse box. Keeps everything tucked away and can be set to whatever temp you want. No longer controlled by the CCU Might be worth considering.
Thanks,

It is most definitely worth considering.

Quick Reply: From Germany with love - 964 Widebody Turbo Build