Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any way to check if the rear motor blower resister is shot ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 10:58 AM
m3vs911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any way to check if the rear motor blower resister is shot ?

Hi guys,
Recently I realised I don't get warm air in the cabin. I think thats the job from the rear motor blower ? However , it doesn't work until I plug the fuse back in. (that old fuse was melt !)

so if I plug the fuse back in, the rear motor blower works, but sound really strong with wind...

so I am thinking... if the blower is Ok , I would like to replace the resistor.
But if not , I'd just leave it.

any ideas on testing which unit is shot ? sparks does come out every time when I tried to insert the fuse from the socket ... lol ( i believe it's because the car didn't sit for long?)

Regards,
Arthur
Old 11-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Start by making sure the part# on the resistor is 964.616.550.02. If the part # ends in an "00" or "01" then the part needs to be replaced with the "02" item since the other/older versions can be a fire hazard.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:53 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You can also try cleaning it and if it is the later model as Vandit says then it has a built in circuit breaker (a set of points on leafs) and that can be cleaned as well..just get some Electronic cleaner
As I recall the new one is less than fifty bucks from Sunset but I dont know how much to ship to you..
This is one of the items that you definitely want Original Porsche Parts and not some aftermarket "OEM" stuff

THis part can cause a fire in engine compartment if not working right
Old 11-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Bertrand
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

> so I am thinking... if the blower is Ok , I would like to replace the resistor.

Why? If the fuse melted, then it is because there was too much current for that fuse.
- Was the fuse the correct 30A (in the box in the engine compartment)
- If so then the culprit is likely to be the electro-motor of the blower: because the resistor (0.950 Ohms) is in serie with it and is bypassed in one of the normal modes of operation. So only the only way to have a melted correct fuse would be a too low electric resistance from the motor: Even if the resistor is zero Ohms, the fuse still sees the resistance of the motor which it is supposed to cope with.

Does the blower makes a screeching noise? If so, the bearings are gone and a (even temporarily) locked blower motor can cause the fuse to go (which precisely why it is there).

Quick Reply: any way to check if the rear motor blower resister is shot ?