Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrb engine tray

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 05:11 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Anyone in the northeast have an engine tray they don't want? I gave mine away on the list a few year's back and am regretting it since Id like to use it for the winter.

So if you have one, pls pm me and lemme know...
Old 11-17-2014, 10:56 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Rob,

I don't blame you for wanting one of these; I use mine in the winter every year.
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2014, 11:56 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Nice one Steve...

I'm getting concerned abt the salt. Should I stop bitchin and just go without? That's what I have been doing every year...
Old 11-18-2014, 01:00 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Goughary
Nice one Steve...

I'm getting concerned abt the salt. Should I stop bitchin and just go without? That's what I have been doing every year...
I knew you'd appreciate that.

Salt water migrates everywhere under there and I just deplore how that thing traps this concentrated saline solution against metal, not to mention its effect on cooling.

Porsches survived (and thrived!) just fine without those things from '65 until '90 so I would not worry about it. Flush the bottom of the car very thoroughly with fresh water every chance you get after driving in the salt to minimize corrosion.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:03 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Rob,

I don't blame you for wanting one of these; I use mine in the winter every year.
HEY...THAT'S MY TRAY!!!

Probably my damn rotors also.

Just sayin'...
Old 11-18-2014, 09:39 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

PM sent
Old 11-18-2014, 12:48 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by KaiB
HEY...THAT'S MY TRAY!!!

Probably my damn rotors also.

Just sayin'...
Hey hey,..those are Tom's.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:50 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Hope that you find one Goughary. I wouldn't drive through a new england winter without it. Any trapped salt is far offset by limiting what gets splashed up there in the first place. And trapping in a little extra heat when ambient is around freezing will only help for a quicker warm-up time, and heat the moisture out of the oil. Steve- hosing down the underside doesn't work too well in freezing weather. You've been on the wrong coast too long.

Just to add- the original hardware are m6x20mm and m6x16mm stainless steel captive washer bolts. Same as for the cat heat shields. Porsche is very proud of them at $2.50/each. But a generic m6 stainless bolt + washer work just as well. You can find m6 extruded nuts (speed nuts, chimney nuts, fairing nuts, body nuts, u-nuts, etc) pretty easily. But make sure that they are coated/plated. Home Depot places sell uncoated ones and they'll rust in a week.

Some inspiration
Old 11-18-2014, 08:41 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by -nick
Steve- hosing down the underside doesn't work too well in freezing weather. You've been on the wrong coast too long.
Many of my East Coast clients use a hot water hose from the garage-mounted water heater to do this. It keeps their mechanics much happier when there are fewer terminally corroded fasteners as well as engine parts.

Remember, the thermostat is what maintains oil temperature for you and regardless whether the tray is there or not, one needs to drive the car long enough to get it up to temperature to burn out condensation. If thats not possible in freezing weather, more frequent oil changes are strongly recommended.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:18 AM
Goughary
Race Car

As an aside...for those rusty bits and bolts. If you soak a paper towel in apple cider vinegar and wrap it around the bolts, leave it over night. If it dries, spray or paint more apple cider vinegar on the paper towel and the next day, wipe off the rust and its all gone. Easier when stuff is out of the car, just drop them in a bowl or bucket full of Apple cider vinegar and poof...rust gone.

I'll be under there in the spring rehabbing a bunch of things...
Old 11-19-2014, 01:57 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nick that poor car looks so cold at least but a blanket on it. You can bring it down to my garage here in Texas I will move one of my cars out
Old 11-19-2014, 02:09 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

I am collecting engine trays. I have two in storage now as the market will flip by 2040 and everyone will start looking for unmolested 964s. Having an intact undertray will add another $20k to the price at that point.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:00 AM
YaHoo!
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
I am collecting engine trays. I have two in storage now as the market will flip by 2040 and everyone will start looking for unmolested 964s. Having an intact undertray will add another $20k to the price at that point.
Ricardo-
I'll make you a deal and sell you mine today for $10k
Old 11-20-2014, 10:43 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

RW964, Luckily the heat on these things works a whole lot better than the ac! Steve, your people are too fancy for me. They probably don't even use kerosene to wash the grease from under their fingernails, huh?

Seriously though, someone find Goughary an undertray!
Old 11-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Goughary
Race Car

You all are awesome...

Nick I am in waltham mass about to pick up a tray from another lister who made me a fair offer. And it happened that a buddy needed a ride up here and it also happened that he has a jeep Cherokee (enough room to toss it in the back)...

So thanks all. I'll be writing in next year to say "Steve, you were right"...lol...

Quick Reply: Wrb engine tray