Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whistle at 1,500 RPM. What should I check?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 03:32 PM
YaHoo!
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistle at 1,500 RPM. What should I check?

Hi All-

I just picked up my new 964 and will post on that when I have pictures but when driving it home I heard a whistling sound I hope you all can help me diagnose.

I hear a whistling/squeaking sound maybe all the time faintly and it may increase with increased engine speed (its a little hard to tell because it is rather faint). It is most pronounced at 1,500 RPMs and I hear it most clearly inside the car. When I'm hovering over the engine it sounds like it may be coming from the right side (passenger side US). It happens regardless of if I'm in gear or not and whether moving or not.

I backed off the fan belt breakage indicator wheel to see if that was the problem but the sound persisted.

The engine and tranny were both just dropped and resealed.

Here are my thoughts on the potential culprits in no particular order- If one is not likely based on the info above then please let me know or if you have other suggestions.

-Chain tensioner inserted the wrong way (but a pro mech resealed the engine)
-fan bearing
-slipping belt (they feel tight)

Other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

Mike
Old 11-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

How steady is your idle? Sounds like it might be a vacuum leak.

PS: Congrats on the new car. Did I miss the photos?
Old 11-12-2014, 11:48 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YaHoo!
Other thoughts or suggestions?
bystanders whistling in awe
Old 11-13-2014, 01:07 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shot bearings are known to make that sort of sound, probably need a pair of experienced ears to locate where.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:39 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

just a thought - check your CCU fan ... mine sounded like a whistle from the back left of the car from inside
... but its just the high pitched whine of the tired fan ... turn off the fan and close all vents and see if whistle disappears

ps ... did I also miss the pics?! :0
Old 11-13-2014, 02:31 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Disconnect the stereo and try again. In my car the stereo whistles through the speakers.

First try by turning it off completely. If you suspect it, then try disconnecting.

Outside the car there's all kinds of noises going on, but mostly the loud ones make it into the cabin.

So it may be generated in the cabin.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:32 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JV911
bystanders whistling in awe
LOL!
Old 11-13-2014, 05:20 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

>when I'm hovering over the engine it sounds like it may be coming from the right side

PS pump/belt ?
Old 11-13-2014, 10:54 AM
YaHoo!
Racer

Thanks for all the great responses. I'll add them to my list- it doesn't sound like it's coming from inside the cabin but I know how noises can throw themselves around.

The PS belt was just replaced and the pump rebuilt.

I'm suspicious that it is the bearing behind the motor fan- between the fan and the alternator. My mechanic made a good suggestion- he said get a few feet of tubing and put one end in my ear and then move the other end around the running engine to find where the noise is loudest.

Rocket Rob- thanks for the congrats- my introduction email is coming- I just need to get some decent pictures of the car. Vacuum is a potential culprit for sure but idle only bounces a tiny bit on starting and then is steady at ~800. Besides the intake manifold where are there other lines under a vacuum?

I can't wait to get into the car to figure this problem out! Hopefully I can get some car time in this weekend between kid & wife commitments!

Last edited by YaHoo!; 11-13-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:05 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Re-read yr post - you have my idea covered!
Old 11-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by YaHoo!
I'm suspicious that it is the bearing behind the motor fan- between the fan and the alternator. My mechanic made a good suggestion- he said get a few feet of tubing and put one end in my ear and then move the other end around the running engine to find where the noise is loudest.

If you want to be a Porsche Doctor you need to look the part:
http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-69913.html
Old 11-14-2014, 05:00 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

If you suspect it's one of the bearings driven by the belts, take each belt off one at a time and listen up. It's worth the time because when the fan/ alt bearing goes, sometimes it's not pretty. Be sure to use the proper triple box tool to hold the alt shaft.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:45 PM
YaHoo!
Racer

Originally Posted by Laker
If you want to be a Porsche Doctor you need to look the part:
http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-69913.html
Perfect and at a Habor Freight price too! Thanks Laker.

Originally Posted by mojorizing
If you suspect it's one of the bearings driven by the belts, take each belt off one at a time and listen up. It's worth the time because when the fan/ alt bearing goes, sometimes it's not pretty. Be sure to use the proper triple box tool to hold the alt shaft.

Exactly what my mechanic suggested. The outside belt is the alt belt so I'll disengage that to see if the sound happens at a different frequency based on the different rpm. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:23 AM
YaHoo!
Racer

I've narrowed the options a bit. Took off the outside belt, which is actually the compressor belt, and the slight squeak persisted. Put water on all the belts and the noise didn't change. So belts and compressor bearings are fine.

I am certain the noise is coming from the engine and not the cabin and it varies with engine speed.

I need to get a stethoscope but am now suspicious of either the PS pump (albeit it was just resealed but perhaps there's a bad/dry bearing in it) or the bearing between the motor fan and alternator. It is a slight squeal so I'm not really worried about it but would be good to diagnose it early if it is a problematic bearing.

The hunt continues.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:52 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

My suggestion is the fan belt sensor. If the bearing to the little plastic wheel is worn it can make a sound as yours. Push it away from the belt with a zip tie and try. I had this in my car.

Thomas

Quick Reply: Whistle at 1,500 RPM. What should I check?