Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you were to replace your 964...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 AM
hot66
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

CS has all the best bits ... which ones are those then ? the light weight carbon interior, the lightweight carbon front, rear & roof panels , the light weight carbon airbox , the thinner lighter glass , the CSL specific DGS software , the rolled arches , the CSL lighter thinner exhaust system , the lack of sound deadening and the differences go on etc etc etc . There is a complete list over on the CSL forum

Its like saying the 997 GTS is the same as a GT3 ... it isn't and never will be. Great cars in their own right ( CS or 911 GTS ) , but they are not a CSL or GT3 ... some times its more than just the sum of their parts too . In years to come , the CSL will still be talked about & rolled out to be compared against each new M3 / M4 ... the CS won't

... I am biased though as I have a CSL along with a few other cars
Old 11-12-2014, 09:21 AM
jon91581
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

If I had to sell the 964 and replace it with something that could seat four, and it couldn't be another 911 of another vintage, then I'd probably rock an E36 M3/4/5 in estoril blue or techno violet. I think it has some similarities to the 964 as far as driving dynamics when comparing it to its earlier iteration and later iterations. It's more comfortable and usable than the E30, yet more raw than the E46 and E90. I've owned an E36 M3/2/5 and spent some seat time in both the E46 and E90/E92. The newer cars, while faster and more luxurious, are also a lot heavier and feel a lot different than the E36 just like newer 911s compare to the 964.

I've also had a B6 S4, which although nice, was a pig, and I actually considered an RS4 until I drove about 4 different examples and felt that it wasn't what I'd hoped it would be. No product from Mercedes AMG that could be affordable if I sold the 964 really excites me. I'd actually even consider going back to a Subaru STI or VW GTI before a couple of those other cars.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:36 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hot66
CS has all the best bits ... which ones are those then ? the light weight carbon interior, the lightweight carbon front, rear & roof panels , the light weight carbon airbox , the thinner lighter glass , the CSL specific DGS software , the rolled arches , the CSL lighter thinner exhaust system , the lack of sound deadening and the differences go on etc etc etc . There is a complete list over on the CSL forum

Its like saying the 997 GTS is the same as a GT3 ... it isn't and never will be. Great cars in their own right ( CS or 911 GTS ) , but they are not a CSL or GT3 ... some times its more than just the sum of their parts too . In years to come , the CSL will still be talked about & rolled out to be compared against each new M3 / M4 ... the CS won't

... I am biased though as I have a CSL along with a few other cars
Hey guys, I never said they were the same. I would love to have a CSL for all the special lightweight parts it has.. however they seem to be on average about £15-20K more than the equivalent CS. So for that saving a CS is a very good buy .. and to me the best bits are not a lightweight roof and carbon interior.. but all the ones that a CS has:

CSL's Bigger Brakes
CSL Wheels (fronts are half inch thinner than CSL one, rears identical)
CSL Steering Rack (quicker than standard)
M Track Mode

Granted the CSL is a lovely thing.. and I'm sure it will attain legendary status if it has not already. However for me you can experience most of what it offers for much less cash on a CS. I could of course be persuaded to test drive yours and be proved wrong!!
Old 11-12-2014, 11:29 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I had to sell and it couldn't be another Porsche it would be either of these two,

Lotus ExigeS 3.5lt V6 Supercharged
Ferrari 355 GTB in black, navy or silver.

The Lotus is a track weapon out the bag (348HP 1176kg) although I'm sure I'd modify the hell outta it. The Ferrari I'd have to buy a high mileage one so that I could modify it and more importantly not give a damn about mileage.
Attached Images   
Old 11-12-2014, 04:54 PM
davidwilson11
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread, I've had a lotus exige so that's out for me. I just purchased a new daily driver on Saturday which is an e92 m3. Got to admit its wonderful to drive and fully loaded with gizmos. It's a daily driver so I won't mod it, keep that for the 964.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytoVR
Audi S4(B5) with an APR stage 3+
Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
If you want/need AWD - and are okay with smaller older cars (like a 964 ;-) I would look hard at a B5 S4 with upgraded turbos, etc (Stage 3 to Audi geeks) as previously mentioned. Or a Golf R? If you want something a little bigger/newer I'd look at newer S4/RS4 models or BMW 335(i or xi). If you don't want/need AWD - M3/ M5 or something along those lines.

^^^^ This ^^^^ but go for the Avant to be, you know, practical.....

Originally Posted by BillyB
Speedbagger - lets assume you only had the funds from the sale of your 964...
ok, then buy two or three and a spare parts car

Do you like to tinker?

http://www.audiworld.com/articles/9-...d-part-1-of-2/

(where have I heard this tune before :-) ?)

Last edited by Laker; 11-15-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is try to get back into a s111 lotus. I miss my exige. my elise was just as nice, but I'd be lying if I said I the exige wasn't better looking
Old 11-14-2014, 02:43 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not easily done! 2 seats are ok for me so it would have to be a noble m12 or possibly an exige or z3 m coupe, if I was being practical though it would have to be a modern m3 but don't think I'd I'de losing all that money on it! Bang for buck though it's a e46 m3, they're a bargain at the moment. Thought about this long and hard all summer and ended up getting a 996 turbo to go alongside it and it's great, fast and very capable, wouldn't trade the 964 for it though.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW M3 E36 4 door
BMW M5 E39
Audi B5 S4
Old 11-16-2014, 06:24 PM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I like all the shouts for a B5 S4. Been there and liked it very much.

An E46 CSL would be very tempting if it were a straight swap, although I suspect I'd regret it.

4 seats, fun and not losing your shirt on depreciation are a tricky combination.

Quick Reply: If you were to replace your 964...