Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 C4 Engine Rebuild - DIY

Old 11-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subscribed

I did the same last year-there were times when I thought " What have I started?" but all was good in the end and an added bonus was the feeling of immense satisfaction.

Good luck with the project.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:33 AM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Really going to enjoy following this thread. I am doing as much maintenance as possible with engine in car. My knuckles can only take so much Hope to someday take on the engine drop.

Appreciate the photo journal and notes. Congrats on great start.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:20 AM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

love the motor lift Ricardo, i wish i would have had one, it was all blocks and bricks for me Lol

glenn
Old 11-28-2014, 01:10 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Love 911s from the Pacific Northwest of the USA. Not too much sun and no salt. Engine is just oily and dirty. This car is from Portland, Oregon.
Gotta love cars from the Pacific Northwest or from the Pacific Southwest if your a Canuck.

Ricardo, great tread as usual. Love the first pic of the motor drop.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:31 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

clean start R .. look forward to the winter build/refresh
and keen to see your special techniques for remembering where little odd shaped bits and pieces go
Old 12-20-2014, 01:31 AM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Ricardo,

I may be too late, but Would love to see pics of DIRTY engine before clean and crack the case showing origin of leaks you're experiencing .... We're just a few model years apart and I am sure to learn a lot of what to watch for....

Thx, Matthew
Old 12-20-2014, 02:05 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

You are not too late, I haven't really had free time to work on the engine. Right now only the intake is off and power steering pump. I will try to remember to show the common trouble spots but its basically all the o-rings everywhere at this point.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Come on Ricardo....details!!! Don't skip over the easy stuff....I wanna see all the gore, crud, etc...
Old 06-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Michael D'Silva
Instructor

Ricardo, any updates to this?
Old 06-12-2015, 07:11 PM
Netbug
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed
Old 06-13-2015, 01:28 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the push guys. I simply am getting held up by life and said it would resume this summer. Its actually summer now! Maybe I will get after it this weekend again. Engine is on the stand and I have most of the engine tin off.

I am thinking now I will just go completely stock with the car. The more I see our 964s being modified the more I just want to go back to its stock 1990 condition including the design 90 wheels. I do not like the H&R suspension I put on the car and would like to go back to the stock Euro suspension or change to KW V3 setup.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:33 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Wow my first post is over a year ago in this thread. Do I win the slowest engine rebuild contest? I am ready to proceed. I have a consultation call with Steve Weiner setup for next week and that will then help settle whether this is a stock rebuild or a hot rod upgrade.

I've got a pile or parts to get the Powder Coater on Monday. Also on Monday I can drop off my alternator to the local rebuilder. I am thinking of trying silver for the engine tin work. Anything to brighten up the engine bay. Then do the fan shroud in a gun metal with a silver fan. I am one of these keep everything stock guys so I am fighting against that impulse.
Attached Images   
Old 11-20-2015, 05:26 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

nice Ricardo - at least you know your welds and epoxy anchors were good! months in the air and still standing!

I know what you mean re stock vs mod tension ... my view (ever evolving) is that it should look and feel as stock as it can if stock was great, but where stock wasn't great, improve it.

A few examples from my reasonable but not extensive experience:
1. shifter stock was wishy washy and too much plastic and too long and prone to failure - makes sense to make it better.

2. shocks were a bit soft and ride height too high - makes sense to improve

3. engine bay is convoluted and has too many compromises so tidy it up (Babalouie, RobT etc..) and big impact - the silver tin ware, nice valve covers, redirected leads etc.. are easy fixes and will make the car look beautiful and cared for .... I love my polished intake and gunmetal touches etc..

4. But for the most part engine is great and as such while I think a few small changes are worth while - LWFW & SW chip, improve the seal if its a pre-gasket case etc... ie some performance but mostly longevity and useability upgrades - but I don't feel like its bang4buck or as easy to achieve a big leap in engine w/o making the car too loud or too cammy or hard to start etc... so stock is just fine!

Anyways look forward to your progress .... its a great phase you're at and progress is quick and easy to see ... excitement builds quick!
Old 11-20-2015, 11:29 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking good Ricardo. Keep the engine tin stock. You can brighten up the engine bay nicely by just powdercoating the fan to red or orange. Also keep the fan housing black. The red/orange fan would make the engine look really nice. Anything else would look blingy.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:32 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Silver is a good choice. It will also let you know if there is a problem quick. I find black, hides oil leaks amongst other problems that could be there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1990 C4 Engine Rebuild - DIY