Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where in the world was vagluv for the past week?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 01:41 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

At a gynecologist convention?
Old 10-27-2014, 02:04 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Not upside down - dials are turned.
Bah, you and your clear observations and logic. (I saw the intermittent washer upside down, and completely missed the rightside up a/c controls)
Old 10-27-2014, 02:18 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

I don't know where you were then but you seem to have disappeared now.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car is being rebuilt after such an epic trip.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fasterlaster
Bah, you and your clear observations and logic. (I saw the intermittent washer upside down, and completely missed the rightside up a/c controls)
I thought I point it out as there was a few comments earlier (Australia etc).
Old 10-28-2014, 03:40 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

ok ... clearly he didn't drive to Hollywood speedo so the twisted dials could be righted
Old 10-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Are they still doing the one lap of America race?
Old 10-30-2014, 09:10 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Some clever guesses here guys!

Sorry to keep everyone waiting, have been busy with work and other things.

Have been wanting to take a road trip in the car for quite a while. The itch was only intensified when I was recently in central california, in the mountains and on highway 1. Also for a while now I have been wanting to see the northern southeast states, which were some of the few that I had never visited. A plan was formed. Here is a journal of that plan, or more a photo journal, as we all know pictures are better than words!

The planned route:

Hit some traffic on the way out of Dallas. It was a while before I saw any again.

Texas sent me off with a nice sunset, as it usually does.

100 miles down, 3100 (planned) miles to go

Arkansas. A stop for an oil check, a snack, and the first red bulls of the trip. My plan was to drive straight through to Richmond, VA as long as I didn’t get tired. Thats 1281 miles. It had been about 8 years since I had done any long hauls like that, so I wasn’t sure how it would go, and I certainly didn’t want to risk an accident, so I stayed very aware of my mental and physical state.

I really pushed the tank on this first fill up. 432 miles. I remember being very worried that I was not going to make it. Then had more anxiety when I pulled in here and the pumps did not work after hours. No problem, made use of the land behind the station for the 24 ounces of red bulls and water I had consumed, took a quick photo, and drove very easily to a station on the other side of the highway.

Made it to Tennessee! Sorry for the boring pic, lol

Sun starting to make an appearance in Tennessee. I think I need to adjust my headlights. Around this time my right rear wheel bearing starts groaning. Not all the time, but enough to make me concerned, especially knowing what was in store for the car for the next week. Some of you guys may remember that I had my left rear wheel bearing replaced just days before this trip started. Definitely kicking myself for not thinking to have them both replaced then...

Scenery is much more enjoyable in the day time!

Hit some heavy fog. Not good when your wiper blades are not that great, and your heater doesn’t work. Ended up stopping to get some rain x, and put on a hoodie. My Texas outfit of shorts and a t shirt was not acceptable.

Starting to find mountains.

It’s very pretty out here. The pictures don’t do the fall colors justice. You guys who live in this region should be very thankful for this time of year.

I was excited to see this. That was before I realized how long Virginia would be.

More fall colors.

About 20 hours and 60 ounces of red bull later, I get to Richmond, VA. Along the way, while having anxiety about my wheel bearing, I looked to see if there were any good porsche shops in the area, and after a little research Lufteknic seemed to be the best bet. Went straight to see them to have the bearing checked out. Robert and the whole crew were top notch, and I would use them again in a heart beat. You guys in that area are lucky to have them around. So after a quick test drive that will not replicate the sound I’m hearing, the guys clear off a lift to do a little more looking on the car. There is a lot of friction coming from that wheel being transferred through the suspension that can be felt as the wheel is rotated. The guys are able to source a replacement bearing immediately and get to work right away, setting me to priority 1, which I greatly appreciated in my increasingly delirious state. About 2 hours later they had me ready to go, new wiper blades included. During that 2 hours however, I had the chance to check out the shop eye candy, which included these cool things, and 2 bare metal 356 coupes being restored that I didn’t take any photos of bc they seemed a little top secret. Check it out:

Now this actually has a 3.6 Varioram in it. Runs and drives. They fired it up for me, it was glorious.

I don’t remember the full story on this one, but its full legit, lol

This is the shop parts hauler/track car/guinea pig. My new wheel bearing was picked up in this, just to keep it all porsche, you know…

They got me back on the road, and here she is tucked in for the night. Sorry for the bad pic, but I’m sure you guys are glad to have more car pics, and less pics out the windshield!

Ahhhh daylight, here we go…

Missed a few photo ops between Richmond and Assateague Island, but who wants to see photos of a 911 in Jamestowne anyway?? So this is Assateague Island, which is a national seashore that stretches from Maryland into Virginia and is known for it’s wild horses. They roam free and are protected by law. It’s pretty cool to see wild horses in person, even if they are just having dinner on the side of the road.

Milestone:

Modified the route to stop over in Ocean City, MD. Here is the sunrise there. Sorry no Porsche content!

Still where I left it! Always a relief.

This is one of my fave shots from the trip.

I realize I’m probably disappointing many of you with the lack of 964 pics, so let me throw in some of the ones that aren’t even that good. Georgetown, DC:

Ready for sleep. She stayed there all night bc I thoroughly scared the valet with a story of a difficult clutch.

Oh no, made it to West Virginia, found rain and cold. Put lots of use to those new wiper blades.

Premature fill up in WV, not knowing what to expect on my rural mountain drive.

Pretty country out there. Don’t get to see this in Texas.

And now with more 964:

One of my favorite roads of the trip: Route 72 in West Virginia. One lane, no traffic, lots of switchbacks. Would have been more fun in the dry.

Rode hard and put away wet:

After a rest, she’s ready to go again.

Hit Lexington Kentucky, had some bourbon, and made the 2nd change to the route: to go back through Nashville, TN. Turned the 3 hour drive between there and Lexington into a 2 hour drive, and the car never missed a beat. That’s 4k+ rpm for 2 hours!

Was in a cab at this point, so no 964, but Nashville was a lot of fun, even for someone like me who isn’t much of a fan of country music.

Alright, made it to Jackson, TN, and had to have some bbq before leaving the state, even though everyone knows the best bbq is in Texas!

Cotton fields in Tennessee. Saw these all the time growing up spending time in Louisiana, but it had been a while. What a part of American history these are…

to be continued...
Old 10-30-2014, 09:16 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

A nice sunset in Tennessee

Made it into Arkansas, camped, and woke up for what would be some of the best driving of the trip through the Ozarks. Here is the Buffalo River Canyon:

Now thats a buggy window! Was a thing of pride, so I didn’t even want to clean it.

And coming back into Dallas on I30

I did my part to help control the insect population!

And the final mileage: 3520.

Final route: (2 pics bc google maps only lets you customize a route so much…)

Mileage breakdown of every fill up:

456/111867

Not every tank was empty. Did not average less than 20 mpg, or more than 24 mpg the entire trip.

In conclusion...

Wow what a great trip! I’m so glad I decided to take the 964 along. Sure, at times it was a little nerve-racking to be driving a 23 year old car on it’s original engine for such long miles, at such high speeds, but my car seemed to love it. These cars get so much more attention everywhere else than they do in Dallas. In Dallas I get no looks, no comments, no one taking pictures of or with the car. Those things all happened pretty much everywhere else I was, even the bigger cities. Lots of people wanted to talk about it. Kids appreciated it. The one officer who pulled me over loved it. That appreciation would be a lot of fun to have on a regular basis. I was surprised to learn that my car has heated mirrors. Just turn on the rear defrost and there they go! Carrera 4/ Carrera 2 argument? I can tell you that on those wet, gravel, mountain roads, I was glad to have that extra level of confidence in what I was driving. Would a C2 have gotten stuck anywhere I drove? Of course not, but I would not have felt nearly as comfortable pushing a C2 in the way I did the C4. Bottom line is, guys drive your cars! Did I get my first rock chips since my paint refresh? Yeah, but only 8-10 small ones! The potential value drop from a few extra miles is more than worth the enjoyment and excitement that comes from experiencing these cars most of us dreamed about having since we were in grade school.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:19 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

And just to prove that she still cleans up nicely, here she is on a walmart run a few days after I got back. Lookin all good!

Old 10-30-2014, 09:43 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Awesome trip and looks like you thoroughly enjoyed it, thank you for sharing. And props to Lufteknic for taking care of you on the spot, sounds like a great outfit.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:48 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Great pics and story. This is definitely what they cars are meant for. Cheers
Old 10-30-2014, 09:51 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you had a great trip...nothing beats these 964s for extended road trips. I myself did a 6000 mile trip when I first got my car and had zero problems. What a bonding experience between a man and his machine!
Old 10-30-2014, 09:55 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LPMM
Awesome trip and looks like you thoroughly enjoyed it, thank you for sharing. And props to Lufteknic for taking care of you on the spot, sounds like a great outfit.
I definitely did. And yes, they're a small shop, but they definitely know air cooled porsches. True enthusiasts
Old 10-30-2014, 09:56 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TouringTeg
Great pics and story. This is definitely what they cars are meant for. Cheers

Quick Reply: Where in the world was vagluv for the past week?