Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of this? Good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 02:33 AM
Youyou
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of this? Good buy?

Hey guys ,
So on the hunt for a 964 ( originally 993 but falling in love more and more with 964's ) and stumbled on this one.
It's a high mileage 1990 C4. It currently has about 120,000 miles or 200,000km.
It's a US car.
Colour is somewhat special and i'm really on the fence about it. I don't know if i love it or hate it.
Saw the car in person , drives very nice , pulls hard and actually very clean for a high mileage car.
Rear Quarter panel and front bumper were repainted from what i can tell.
Everything works. Power seats , wipers , windows , roof , original radio , heat and AC.
Clean Carfax. No claims ever recorded.
What are your thoughts?
What should this be selling for given the crazy market nowadays?
Colour. Love it or hate it?
Mileage. Way too much or ok?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm just trying to get a feel of what you experts think.
Thanks!
Attached Images      

Last edited by Youyou; 10-24-2014 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:58 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How is the car history? Has the engine been rebuilt? Any signs of rust or bubbles? How does it look underneath?

From the pics I's say the interior is looking rather tired and would need to be re-trimmed which is a big expense if you want to do it to Porsche standard.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:04 AM
Youyou
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mondrian
How is the car history? Has the engine been rebuilt? Any signs of rust or bubbles? How does it look underneath?

From the pics I's say the interior is looking rather tired and would need to be re-trimmed which is a big expense if you want to do it to Porsche standard.
Not much history on the car besides the carfax which shows no claims and if i'm not mistaken 3 owners.
No rust bubbles.
Interior is actually pretty nice in person. Not show car material but definitely something i can live with.
Have not looked underneath yet but will be getting it inspected next week.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:16 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

You need a PPI done. Spend the ~$300 to have the car properly inspected by an independant Porsche shop that is familiar with air cooled Porsches
Old 10-24-2014, 03:24 AM
Youyou
Instructor

Originally Posted by RicardoD
You need a PPI done. Spend the ~$300 to have the car properly inspected by an independant Porsche shop that is familiar with air cooled Porsches
Absolutely.
Will get a PPI done.
But let's just say the PPI pans out what's your take on value of the car.
Thanks!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:44 AM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Two key questions are: what is the asking price and what is your budget?

I picked up a C2 with 129,000 miles (ex-California car, original paint) before the most recent run up in prices, about a year ago for much less than $20k. No PPI. At that price, I figured I could risk an engine rebuild and I didn't want to lose the car to another buyer by asking for a PPI.

First visit post-purchase to my mechanic to check oil leaks: bam! Needs a full engine rebuild. It's still being rebuilt now but when it's done, I'll have approximately doubled my purchase price but I'll also have a fresh engine and peace of mind. I figure I can also sell the car for at least what I'll have spent on it, thanks to the recent surge in valuations (but who am I kidding: I'll never sell my Porsches.)

Zero buyer's remorse here. The math made sense before I bought it and it still makes sense after the rebuild.

At the asking price of this blue car, can you afford a rebuild and will you be upside down if that's required?
Old 10-24-2014, 07:33 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If everything checks out on the PPI (make sure they do a compression & leakdown test), with the high millage, I would guess around 25K for the car.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:04 AM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newsboy
If everything checks out on the PPI (make sure they do a compression & leakdown test), with the high millage, I would guess around 25K for the car.
Agree ~ $25.
I sold this spring my near prefect 1992 C2 Targa with freshly rebuilt motor and new clutch for $32k and that was way to low. But what's done is done. You can't rebuild for less than $6-8k if you do it your self, $12-20 if you get someone else to do it. .
Old 10-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

If you can live with the interior as is, you def can after a good leather cleaner, 3 times conditioner (in 3 day intervals) and some leather dye. Cheap on the wallet, heavy on time, but easy to do yourself. The difference is incredible.

Color looks great IMO. You'll attract attention anyway with a loud 964 (and they are all loud, even with stock exhaust).

Get the PPI done, unless it's very cheap. 20k or less.

Compression and leakdown test will tell you a lot.

Also, check for rust in detail. The smallest thing could be a big deal and big $$$.

If you're serious, don't hesitate. I see no reason for it not to move quick.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:28 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

120k is not "high mileage".

You aren't buying a Honda. These cars are always treated by almost all owners as something special. So they are cared for in mostly two ways....garaged and pampered, or throgged, thrashed and then fixed when broken.

So all you want to know is. What needs to be attended to now, and how much will that cost.

Send it for a thorough PPI like has been said.

If there is "no service history" then you are likely for surprises. But there is nothing that can't be fixed. So all good if the price is right.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:42 AM
YaHoo!
Racer

First I love the color- your pics don't really do it justice- there are very few Tahoe blues out there and I think it's a great color.

Second, as stated before and I know is your intention, get the PPI. I just bought a 964, spent $350 on a PPI and it saved me $2,500 (seller paid to fix a tranny drip and new CV boots). And it gives you some peace of mind. You can still bet on finding things later or them breaking but hopefully they will be minor.

Third, if everything checks out I think the car may be worth upward of $25k in todays market- likely closer to $35k if paint and the rest of the car are in good o better condition.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Meatball911
Advanced

I too agree that the price needs to something you are comfortable with assuming a rebuild, etc. For example, I recently purchased a high mile 89 C4 NB and skipped the PPI because the price was low enough where I was comfortable with the risk of spending $10-20k, when needed. I merely drove the car and knew it was the right one for me. Sometimes the intrinsic value of ownership must be part of the equation. Good luck with your decision and I like the color combination!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Youyou
Instructor

Hey guys,
Thank you all for the advice and comments!
Just got off the phone with the seller and he basically told me no PPI. It's a 25 year old car. Either you take it or leave it!!
Wow. Crazy crazy man!
In that case he can keep his 964. No way would i buy it without checking it out.
Car was priced at 25,000$ Canadian so 22,000$ US.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:35 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the colour. Definitely run a mile if he refuses a PPI. Must have something to hide.

and yes, those seats can be brough back looking pretty much like new simply using a leather dye kit.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:37 AM
YaHoo!
Racer

That's lame and doesn't instill a lot of confidence! Sorry to hear that.

Quick Reply: What do you think of this? Good buy?