Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of this? Good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad, love the colour and the sport seats too!
$25 with a ppi would be a good deal - even a bit higher - depending on what ppi showed could haggle a bit on price. If I had my own lift, shop (and ability), I might consider it. But $25 with no ppi allowed, take your wallet and run!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:27 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Did he mention why no ppi? Or better, does he know what a PPI is?

Call the guy and tell him you will pay for the ppi, since maybe he feels like it's an expense for him? And then tell him if you don't buy the car, you will give him the ppi results so that might help him sell the car to the next guy.

But I agree with the above. If a seller isn't willing to work with you to know exactly what you are buying, don't buy the car. A 25k car can easily be a 50k car the day you get it home.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:38 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
120k is not "high mileage". You aren't buying a Honda. These cars are always treated by almost all owners as something special. So they are cared for in mostly two ways....garaged and pampered, or throgged, thrashed and then fixed when broken. So all you want to know is. What needs to be attended to now, and how much will that cost. Send it for a thorough PPI like has been said. If there is "no service history" then you are likely for surprises. But there is nothing that can't be fixed. So all good if the price is right.
+1. 120,000 isn't high mileage in my book. Perhaps more appropriately, the mileage isn't a huge negative as the 964 is becoming a driveable and collectible classic, I suspect we'll see mileage at 200+ on well maintained and reconditioned cars in the years to come.

Just like many other high quality items, with proper care and money invested, a 964 should last a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 10-24-2014, 01:15 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I think that the seller (correctly) views any sort of professional inspection of the car as likely leading to identification of a long list of "issues" that he will be asked to either fix or reflect in a reduced purchase price. While that is reasonable in a buyer's market, sellers do not need to agree to that process in a seller's market like there now is for 964 coupes (particularly in desirable colors like this one).

My guess is that the car will be gone in a couple of weeks, purchased by a dealer who will test drive the car and do a visual inspection himself to confirm that nothing major is wrong with the car. The dealer will then detail and otherwise clean it up a little bit, and re-list it for sale in the mid to high $30s.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:33 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
I think that the seller (correctly) views any sort of professional inspection of the car as likely leading to identification of a long list of "issues" that he will be asked to either fix or reflect in a reduced purchase price. While that is reasonable in a buyer's market, sellers do not need to agree to that process in a seller's market like there now is for 964 coupes (particularly in desirable colors like this one).

My guess is that the car will be gone in a couple of weeks, purchased by a dealer who will test drive the car and do a visual inspection himself to confirm that nothing major is wrong with the car. The dealer will then detail and otherwise clean it up a little bit, and re-list it for sale in the mid to high $30s.
I agree with your assessment of the seller's view on a PPI.

But the seller could actually use a PPI to his advantage.

Instead of viewing it a leverage a buyer could use to grind on the price. If I were to sell my car I would get the most detailed PPI possible and say to any potential buyers that here is a list of what needs to be done and this is why I am selling the car for $35,000 (for example) and had it not been for these issues I would be selling the car for $50,000.

Buying a 964 is not like buying a used Honda there is a very limited supply and it is quite a seller's market.

The seller does not have to get into negotiations with any buyer. He can always stick to his price and tell the grinding buyer to go pound sand.

I also agree that a dealer will likely buy it and flip it quickly.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:04 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
At the $25,000 CAN($22,000 US) asking price, I'm thinking this car will be bought without a PPI, spit shined, and then flipped for low to mid 40s.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually very surprising that no one is jumping on this, haggle it down to US$20000 and spend 20 to make it tip top, but do take a knowledgeable person with you to inspect properly (same mechanic who does a PPI) assuming inspection and test drive is ok.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:23 PM
deadendd9009
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure but I'd be worried about the rear repaint. However, I bought my 1991 964 for 20k. Needs new tires and some seals but it has no rust and only has 136 000 km. No ppi = price has to come down!
Old 10-24-2014, 03:44 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Why not try to see the car with a local rennlister?

Perhaps someone with durametrics software to hook it up and read the systems.

Do a mini PPI in person.

For the price he is asking, you could sink in some money before it hits market value.

Make the seller comfortable that it's not about bargaining but rather so you know what you're getting into.

I find the response from the seller lacking context to know if he is hiding something or not.

My C3 didn't have much history until I bought it and it took a while to piece together the history. At first sight it was a run away type of car (the owner didn't even know it was a C3, it was just listed as a 1977 911), but ended up being a little gem (even for my bottom line when I sold it).

What I'm trying to say is: you still don't know exactly what you're looking at, so you can't assume it's bad.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Navaros911
What I'm trying to say is: you still don't know exactly what you're looking at, so you can't assume it's bad.
Well put.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:07 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Youyou
Hey guys,
Thank you all for the advice and comments!
Just got off the phone with the seller and he basically told me no PPI. It's a 25 year old car. Either you take it or leave it!!
Wow. Crazy crazy man!
In that case he can keep his 964. No way would i buy it without checking it out.
Car was priced at 25,000$ Canadian so 22,000$ US.
Not necessarily saying this is a good buy or that you should buy it, but a lot of educated, potential buyers would still view this as a fair deal at $22k sans PPI.

Originally Posted by Navaros911
For the price he is asking, you could sink in some money before it hits market value.

Agree with this also. Just because the seller is being difficult, this doesn't mean the car has serious problems. Some sellers just are difficult people.

Also, as important as a PPI is to some people (those same people who say you should ALWAYS get a PPI), realize that PPI's don't catch everything. It's not unheard of to have a shop doing a PPI tell a potential buyer that the subject car is a lemon and the next thing you know, that mechanic or garage is now the new owner of the car.

Do your due diligence but realize that not every situation warrants walking away if a PPI cannot be done.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Merle
Racer

Some sellers don't have time to screw around trying to get a ppi done for somone who may or may not buy their car. Especially if their are no shops close by who knows air cooled Porsches. Right now it's a sellers market so that might be in play also.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:45 PM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
At the $25,000 CAN($22,000 US) asking price, I'm thinking this car will be bought without a PPI, spit shined, and then flipped for low to mid 40s.
Agreed! Take someone with you that really knows what to look for. Offer $20k and see what happens. At 22K US all you "he's crazy, take your wallet and run, screw that guys" are missing out. I'm all about due diligence myself, but sometimes you have to recognize a potential deal and put yourself out here.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Youyou
Instructor

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the advice and feedback.
While i agree that the price is nice i just got a really bad vibe from the seller.
By the way he is a dealer. So that makes it even more sketchy.
He knew very well that i would pay for the PPI which i mentioned.
Being a 3 time Porsche owner i have a local garage EK Performance in Montreal whom i trust deeply.
I wanted to bring it there and get it looked at.
As good as the price is i just can't buy a car without lifting it and looking at it.
He was just unpleasant to deal with and i felt like he was dishonest.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:14 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Good call then. Trust your instincts. 9 times out of 10, dealers are not to be trusted when they are sending out bad vibes.

Best wishes in your search. The right car will come along.

Quick Reply: What do you think of this? Good buy?