Sponsored by:

CR-1 radio doesn't dim

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 08:50 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CR-1 radio doesn't dim

Hey guys, sorry for the long post, but I couldn't find the answer to this question through the search function or through google. I recently picked up a 1994 C4 with a CR-1 stereo headunit and factory CD changer installed. Since CDs have gone out of fashion, I decided to get rid of the CD changer and open up some luggage space. The terminal in the CD changer unit was poorly soldered and some of the leads broke but the jack was completely removed from the changer. Now (not sure if it was doing this before), it seems that the CR-1 stays illuminated after I have taken out the ignition key. It only goes off if I pull the fuse. I don't know if this CD changer system was part of the MOST interface that we heard about in later years, but could it be that taking the CD changer out of the circuit threw something off? I would like to continue using the headunit since it otherwise functions perfectly.

(Also, if anyone has instructions on how to remove the headunit, I would greatly appreciate it. It's really stuck in there. I can't seem to find any good instructions on it anywhere.)
Old 10-20-2014, 03:01 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 237 Posts

I would guess the head unit is wrongly connected, permanent and switched +12V feeds are probably interchanged. I would guess the connection scheme is printed on the head unit chassis, and a voltmeter will reveal any problems in the wiring.
These stereos were made 15-20 years before MOST or other in-car-entertainment integration systems became available.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 10-20-2014, 11:52 AM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Tore. I'm hoping it's just bad wiring/installation as you said. Looks like the headunit had been removed for some type of behind-dash modification (guessing radar detector install) since the tabs on either side seem bent.

Quick Reply: CR-1 radio doesn't dim