Sponsored by:

Toggle Switch Hazard Lights Mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:21 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Toggle Switch Hazard Lights Mod

I've recieved a few PMs based on a comment I posted in this thread: Carrera 4 Lightweight on how to convert the hazard lights to a toggle switch. So I thought I'd just post a write up for future references.

HAZARD LIGHT SWITCH WIRE GUIDE

49: Power TO Blinker Relay, Black/Yellow
30: Permanent Power, Red
15: Switched Power, Black
L: Warning Flasher TO Left Side Lights, Black/White
R: Warning Flasher TO Right Side Lights, Black/Green
49a: Power FROM Blinker Relay, Black/White/Green
31: Ground, Brown
58: Dimmer Control, Grey/Blue

WARNING: If you do this mod, your blinkers will work even if the car is turned off. Therefore if you bump the turn signals on your way out of the car, YOU WILL DRAIN YOUR BATTERY. Just FYI. You can add a second blinker relay and supply it with switched power if you would like to have permanent power for your warning flashers, and switched power for your turn signals. Alternatively, you could supply the blinker relay with switched power, but then your warning flashers would not work with the car turned off. A bad idea in my opinion.

Instructions (all wires refer to those on the hazard light switch)

1. Remove wire 15 from the hazard light switch. Cap the exposed wire lead, this is a power line, insulate well to prevent short circuiting.
2. Remove wire 31 from the switch. Cap the exposed wire lead, insulate well.
3. Remove wire 58 from the switch. Cap the exposed wire lead, insulate well. This is a power line, and could short circuit so do a good job.
4. Solder together wires 49 and 30. This will supply the blinker relay with permanent 12V power. Insulate well with proper shrink wrap.
5. Connect wire 49a to one terminal of your SPST toggle switch. Shrink wrap the connection.
6. Connect L and R wires to the other terminal of your toggle switch. Shrink wrap the connection.

Alternatively you could use a DPST switch, both are shown for clarity.

Quick Reply: Toggle Switch Hazard Lights Mod