Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 12:29 AM
Blue Haze
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long overdue subscription to this thread; I've just spent an hour reading/admiring your great work. And needless to say, you picked the fastest colour
Old 05-06-2015, 08:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
The LM wing is too big in my opinion but a 993GT2 wing fits like a glove on a wide 964. Intakes and bi-plane.
I agree it is a bit big but I also don't like the 993GT2 wing on a 964 (looks great on a 993GT2). I have been trying to keep the car as close to 964 3.8RS looks as possible.

Originally Posted by Blue Haze
Long overdue subscription to this thread; I've just spent an hour reading/admiring your great work. And needless to say, you picked the fastest colour
Thanks pics of your car helped me to make the decision. It is a great color something we don't see here too often especially on a track car. They are usually all black red and white. I always liked the blues myself.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Default Santa came early!!

So the rear 993 RS brakes arrived yesterday. These are the same production run of 2006 that I just replaced the big red fronts with big blacks on my C2. I was surprised to see the change in workmanship on the big blacks but these are the same. I would never allow a casting to leave my shop with the casting gating to be ground leaving .050 of material. The older units had the in gate ground flush which it should be but I guess they cut corners everyplace they can lately.

Either way i hope these work properly. I was discussing this with a friend who has a similar setup and he finds he goes through two sets of rear pads for every one set of fronts unlike the 964 turbo 3.6 setup I had prior which would go through two sets of fronts to every one set of rears. Huge difference in rear bias I would guess.

Hopefully the car will be back next week so I can finish assembling and have the seats and belts installed in time for the June 6 event at Tbolt. Seats, tail and rear bumper will be painted to match the car next week so it will be tight.
Attached Images   
Old 05-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I was discussing this with a friend who has a similar setup and he finds he goes through two sets of rear pads for every one set of fronts unlike the 964 turbo 3.6 setup I had prior which would go through two sets of fronts to every one set of rears. Huge difference in rear bias I would guess.

My experience is more like 1.5 front to 1 rear for pads and rotors
Old 05-27-2015, 10:59 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Default Delays

Nothing ever goes according to plan. Engine is running; sounds amazing however we needed to run power to the DME directly to make it work.

Not sure if I did something but don't believe I did. For some reason there is no power running from the old harness to the DME when wired to the OBD II trigger pin. I can hook a switch and power line to power it up but that is not a good idea don't need the system waiting for data each time I start it up. Looks like it will be a bit of time spent trying to figure out what is wrong. If all goes well we will have it up and running on its own in another week and then it is just installing seats and bumpers.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:23 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Default Its the little stuff that takes so long!!!!

Finally got the car back the engine is installed and running perfectly. The rest still needs lots of work.

Interestingly this started off as a widebody RS tribute but has somehow morphed into an RSR with some RS overtones.

I will try to see if I can find a way to download the video of the engine running it is loud. sounds great and has the wonderful sound of the turbos winding down when you rev it a little. I can only imagine what it will sound like at WOT.

Now the fun begins. Much more work than I expected. I started with the oil coolers. Since they are custom located and on both sides I needed to make shields to protect the lines and keep the air flowing through the coolers instead of around. It takes lots of time to fit and mount all these little parts and make sure they don't do damage from vibration and other possible issues. I used .025 aluminum sheeting and hand bent and cut everything and after smoothing the edges I covered them with rubber molding to keep them from moving or doing damage to other parts.

Started mounting the bumper which makes the car start to look like a car again. I had brass screening from my wife's grandfathers collection of stuff. Painted it black and it fit beautifully into the opening. Now that this is done it is onto the underside covers and just making sure everything is where it is supposed to be. Then it is just mounting the rockers tail seats, harnesses and padding.

This is going to be much more car than I was planning on and should be a blast to drive once all the suspension and spacers are addressed. I plan on running about 3 degrees negative camber up front and 2.5 in the rear and see where it takes me.

I used the tech art ducting I had for brake cooling they worked well on the C2 but I figured lets see how they work for now.

Some pics for now.
Attached Images             
Old 06-12-2015, 02:36 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 188 Posts

Mmmm!! I need to come over again and see the progress. Looks menacing already!!
Old 06-12-2015, 03:58 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
Mmmm!! I need to come over again and see the progress. Looks menacing already!!
any time !!!
Old 06-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ooooo, looks great. The project looks so nice sitting next to the Turbo. Are you using OEM oil coolers, or fitted some other ones?

By the way, C&C Sunday?
Old 06-12-2015, 10:10 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
Ooooo, looks great. The project looks so nice sitting next to the Turbo. Are you using OEM oil coolers, or fitted some other ones?

By the way, C&C Sunday?
They are OE. It is a lot of work to build this using factory parts throw some aftermarket parts into the mix adds a new twist I have no time for. I have spent more time under my cars than driving them this last year. I am confident that everything will be overkill and there is no doubt I have a year or two of tweaks ahead of me. I like to cook and eat as they say.

Unfortunately, I am swamped for the next few weeks there is the C&C in Summit on fathers day and the Norwalk event in June. Hopefully we will bump into each other there.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:16 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I have spent more time under my cars than driving them this last year.
Story of my life for the past two years. I'm beginning to get heat from the family about "when will the car be up?".
Project looks good, Anthony.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:07 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Story of my life for the past two years. I'm beginning to get heat from the family about "when will the car be up?".
Project looks good, Anthony.
The air cooled pcar experience I'm too afraid to touch anything until winter. Small upgrades usually turn into project.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:06 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Looking more and more like a car everyday.
Attached Images   
Old 06-15-2015, 11:20 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Really turning out great! Wow!

And like the guys said above, I've been spending more time working on my car than driving it haha!
Old 07-08-2015, 04:07 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

The small stuff always takes the longest but we all know that. Hard to believe it has been nearly a year since I started this thread.

I am finally getting close to completion if all goes according to plan I will take a mellow run at WGI at the end of the month with a big X on the back of the car.

Meanwhile I have been helping at the shop and learning even more about the early long nose cars. It has been since the 70's that I worked on them and surprisingly it all comes back rather quickly. I need to get some photos of the painted shell but a lot of time has been put into this 66 911S to make it a perfect car. I have no doubt when it is done it will be a $400-$500k car. I unfortunately don't have the before pictures but I assure you it did not look anything like it does now.

Otherwise I have been installing the seats, belts, padding, Aim solo and finishing up the interior and the biggest last part of the project reworking the tail to fit properly over the IC. (I hate bondo work always a mess to deal with). I will be making a shroud to close off the other areas of the vents and force the air over the IC and yes the wiper bump will be removed before paint. Wing will be clear CF to match the front splitters. By Monday or so the car should be back up at Protosport to finish the suspension. I will run spacers for now but will be increasing the wheel back to 12" with a 1" wider outer lip in the future.

Fingers crossed.
Attached Images        

Quick Reply: My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)