*Hopefully* not just another back-date thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 09:43 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwporsche
Yea - AC and heat (both requirements for me) add some challenges. I think Steve figures a very large oil cooler if I plan to make something close to 400hp due to the extra heat generated. I either wanted something customer (like what Singer does) or just follow the RSR look. Right now we are going down the RSR path which makes for an easy oil cooler solution. Your bumper presents another interesting option to consider.

Good question on steel. Will have to check with Steve on what he's thinking here.
I've never looked at the Singer coolers, I always thought they used the stock right side cooler and possibly a second left side cooler like the 964/993 race cars used. The center opening just feeds air as on the oes.
Stock right side w/ stock fan and hoses to left

center air feed and hoses to left, the tube is shaped to feed air to booth sides

second right side w/ AC and stock fan
Old 10-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Johannvb
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

This is the solution used by singer

Not the most detailed, but you get the idea.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johannvb

Thanks for that, so they use 3 coolers w/ fans on the center, or is that 2 in the fenders w/ the center being the AC condenser w/ fans and no fans on the oil?
Old 10-05-2014, 03:24 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johannvb

Thanks for posting. That looks interesting. Will have to chat with Steve. Even if that works we still have the issue of building some type of bespoke front bumper as Singer did (or find one which you could just modify a bit).
Old 10-06-2014, 02:36 PM
tomato
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RSR body with ducktail? You are men of taste. Quacking marvellous

I'm looking forward to this love story unfolding...agree with a singer style front bumper but this was too complex for my backdate, i kept air con stock except for controls hiding in glovebox

Another backdate thread...are we that common? Isn't like saying yet another gorgeous woman came over and sat on my lap? Will I ever tire of backdated threads/ beautiful female company? Very unlikely

Best of British with your build, keep many many photos coming
Old 10-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Singer cuts the whole front of the tub off to fit the early trunk latch section
In this pic you can see the cut and reworked front tub section

As a result they no longer have the oe diversion sluices on the right and left of the tub, that's why they changed from the oe longitudinal orientation of the coolers to the transverse orientation seen above.

Another way too do it is seen here on this heavily modded RSR, this requires a hood exit

Old 10-06-2014, 11:45 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by tomato
RSR body with ducktail? You are men of taste. Quacking marvellous

I'm looking forward to this love story unfolding...agree with a singer style front bumper but this was too complex for my backdate, i kept air con stock except for controls hiding in glovebox

Another backdate thread...are we that common? Isn't like saying yet another gorgeous woman came over and sat on my lap? Will I ever tire of backdated threads/ beautiful female company? Very unlikely

Best of British with your build, keep many many photos coming
Just went through your build. Amazing. Love the color, turned out amazing. Is there anything you would do differently?
Old 10-07-2014, 09:11 AM
tomato
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just went through your build. Amazing. Love the color, turned out amazing. Is there anything you would do differently?
I'm putting in lowered suspension, perlon carpets in the frunk and interior plus large orange stripes. All should be done this month. It didnt sit right. Stance is important according to my fellow rennlisters ( Hi Frank) ....Will post photos

I would have done the following now I look back/ had more money
  • Small bumpers ( but would have cost me HUGE money, plus custom coolers etc etc)
  • Twin exit exhausts should be closer to eachother
  • chrome number plate lights
  • chrome window surrounds
  • dog leash 73 RS door panels
  • 400 HP + bigger brakes
  • Graphics still aren't right

The rest I had 15 years to think about and also had owned a few 911's before so I'm pleased with the result. No sunroof from new, not doing a total strip and colour change and getting the interior not to look mix and match but period were both important for me but maybe not for you. The Fabspeed exhaust sound was beyond expectations good.

I look forward to seeing your choices but as always it's a personal thing and my fellow rennlisters always helped with some of the close call decsiions
Old 10-07-2014, 01:26 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Default Steering wheels..

Any thoughts on a good steering wheel? We are going to ditch the airbag and go for something more period correct. I like the Prototipo (first pic) wrapped in leather or Alcantara. Second pic is a Mod07 which is also interesting...

Let me know if anyone has other ideas which should be considered.
Attached Images   
Old 10-07-2014, 01:33 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

997 Cup Steering wheel also seems interesting.
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2014, 02:18 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any thoughts on a good steering wheel? We are going to ditch the airbag and go for something more period correct. I like the Prototipo (first pic) wrapped in leather or Alcantara. Second pic is a Mod07 which is also interesting...

Let me know if anyone has other ideas which should be considered.
You've picked out the correct two.

I'd stick with either one and allow the dish dictate which - are you going with a Rothsport disconnect?
Old 10-07-2014, 02:24 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by KaiB
You've picked out the correct two.

I'd stick with either one and allow the dish dictate which - are you going with a Rothsport disconnect?
Steve gave me the direction on those steering wheels. I'm thankful to have him running this process.

Regarding the disconnect - I hadn't considered it but maybe I should? This will be a daily driver and should see 4-5 DE events per year. Does a disconnect add value in that scenario?
Old 10-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Vq-1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey Gunn
+1
Me too!
Old 10-07-2014, 02:52 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve gave me the direction on those steering wheels. I'm thankful to have him running this process.

Regarding the disconnect - I hadn't considered it but maybe I should? This will be a daily driver and should see 4-5 DE events per year. Does a disconnect add value in that scenario?
Well...

They're really cool.

The Rothsport is a jewel, as is all his stuff (but you know that).

Handy for entry/exit given the seats I believe you may use.

Really handy when you clean the interior and the gauges, and...

Again, they look really cool as they just add a bit of the "it" factor to a street rod.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:16 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Plus...

With a removable steering wheel, it is harder for someone to drive it off when you don't want it moved. (ie. theft protection).

Quick Reply: *Hopefully* not just another back-date thread