Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding 964 Lola after my accident

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 04:00 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a scissor lift Jamie? One of my best investments was a rattle gun, speeds wheel changes up hugely.

Last work done today was to complete sanding the two front callipers plus I sanded one of the C4 rear upgrade callipers. Only one left... The red wine and knock off calling was too much.
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2014, 04:09 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Agree Macca, robt964 is very cleaver. It took me several evenings to go through his rebuild thread. Very inspiring plus the guy is ultra skilled.
I'm getting the same oil cooler fan, the whole assembly is less than the cost of just the Porsche replacement shroud let alone the fan motor and impeller on top of that. His interior is absolutely to my taste.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jamie has been dreaming of a sissor lift almost as long as I have known him!

Doug I would go you halves on one if I had a garage. Id use it for lifting the car to get the crud out of the disc holes and rubber marbles and tar out of the wheel barrels after a Targa Tour or Track Day!).

Yes I saw the 98 quid alternative fan and it did look nice and slim. A good work around. I still cant imagine he dropped an engine in a garage with 1 foot of free space either side of the rear fenders. there's a similar guy on teh 993 thread from UK called Jackal - he has a lovely speed yellow 993RS replica - does all the work himself outside on the drive even when its freezing! Mad Brits. That's how they won the war!
Old 09-27-2014, 04:29 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by O2GO
Do you have a scissor lift Jamie? One of my best investments was a rattle gun, speeds wheel changes up hugely.

Last work done today was to complete sanding the two front callipers plus I sanded one of the C4 rear upgrade callipers. Only one left... The red wine and knock off calling was too much.
No not yet but plan to get one soon. A hoist is more preferable but the scissor lift is great if you have limited ceiling height. I've used hoists lots when I spannered in a garage many moons ago.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:18 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Not a lot done today due to rellies being in town.

Drained oil lines, disconnected damaged oil cooler, removed along with oil cooler mounting bracket.
Cleaned up the bracket (oil and kitty litter), and transferred parts from the damaged cooler to Jason's refurbished one and packed it away for later in the project.
Next will be the aircon condenser, its mounting bracket is pretty bent so will need removal and straightening. Mean time I cleaned the radiator with my air gun.

Went to Mitre 10 to buy some longer mounting bolts and washers for the RS door handles. While there found that the had aluminium strips in varying widths and thicknesses in either 1 or 2 metre lengths. Perfect for a bar to hold up the engine insulation. I didn't buy one, thought I'd check out which size would work best. Think I'll go for the 1000x40x3mm size next time i am there.

They have some nice pieces available for other things too.... Got me thinking.

Bought a three steel tray trolley on large casters which will help keep my piles of tools a bit better organised. Also another 5 blocks of 8"x2" rough sawn timber. They're very handy when Lola has no front wheels and are good extra safety devices to chock up the car while getting under her while on jack stands.
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2014, 02:57 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Progress during this week...
Picked up the left Wishbone from CCS after having them press out the old bushes and replace with Powerflex bushes to match the right. I hope it isn't going to bee too hard to install as these bushes look wider than the originals and look like they'll need some compression to reinstall.

Ordered the replacement oil cooler fan from Kenlowe in the Uk on Monday.

Last night ordered a fair few small parts from Design911 in the UK including front smile rubber, right sill rubber, rubber seals for headlights, headlamp bezels, steering arm and new steering boots, clear indicator set, new steering spacer nuts for 17" setup (these stop 17" wheels rubbing on full lock).

I also picked up the left hand front under sill and the aircon fan shroud that Bumper Replacements olastic welded. Stoked with the job they did. Will get some detail photos in daylight once unwrapped.

Chatted to Steve again about 2K paint for the callipers and, once I have completed preparing them will get Europacific to paint them for me.

Looks like I'll only get one weekend day working on the car in the next 2 weeks as heading to Hampton Downs tomorrow to drive our group owned 2K Cup leaderboard car alongside a couple of newly purchased 2K cup cars owned by members of our Rennsport Gruppe. They're all early '90s Honda Integra coupes.

Then the following weekend Jan and I are off to Wellington for the World of Wearable arts.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:29 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Good stuff Doug. Looks like things are progressing well. I'm convinced Lola will be a better car for it
Old 10-04-2014, 02:42 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Thanks Warwick. Made more progress today. A wild windy, rainy spring Saturday downunder in New Zealand. Started the day in the comfort of the family room with the heat pump going while I assembled the workshop trolley I bought as a flat pack last weekend.
Attached Images  

Last edited by O2GO; 10-04-2014 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:45 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Next I finished preparing the last calliper for painting and, as recommended by Steve during the week, scrubbed them in hot water and detergent twice to remove any traces of oil and gunk so that the paint will stick well. It took longer than you'd expect with a dish scrub and soft brass wire brush. Here they are drying in the sun and wind.
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2014, 02:48 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I opened up the packages of parts that have been plastic welded back into good condition. Here's the right hand under tray that had torn along the 90 degree bend plus a few areas around screw holes. They did a really nice job of it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by O2GO; 10-04-2014 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug you replacing those piston seals while you are in there?
Old 10-04-2014, 02:49 AM
O2GO
Drifting

And the other side of the welding
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2014, 02:54 AM
O2GO
Drifting

And the plastic welding repairs to the aircon shroud...
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2014, 02:55 AM
O2GO
Drifting

It looks like it needs a good scrub... Signs of kitty litter residue are still everywhere.
Close up...
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2014, 02:56 AM
O2GO
Drifting

And another close up of Bumper Replacements plastic welding
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Rebuilding 964 Lola after my accident