Sponsored by:

Rebuilding 964 Lola after my accident

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 07:12 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off with the bumper.

The bumper cover is naturally stuffed and the aluminium reinforcement quite bent on the left hand side. We're going to have to straighten or replace that.
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2014, 07:15 AM
O2GO
Drifting

The slam plate has escaped any serious damage from the shove. The right hand chassis joint will be easily repaired.
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2014, 07:16 AM
O2GO
Drifting

However the left side of the slam plate will take a bit more work to repair. The chassis beam is undamaged.
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2014, 07:19 AM
O2GO
Drifting

During the accident the fan shroud broke, the fan hit the oil cooler before taking off and cart wheeling across the road. This will need to be replaced. The fan looks ok but I'll need to test it and we'll need a new oil cooler and fan shroud.
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2014, 07:26 AM
O2GO
Drifting

First new parts have arrived. 2nd hand wishbone with new ball joint, bolts and Powerflex bushes for both right and left wishbones. I didn't notice at the time of the photo but when I went to fit it I realised they'd pressed the ball joint bolt in for left side fitment instead of right. A quick trip to CCS had it pressed out and refitted the other way around.

Even the girls at work thought the part looked pretty sexy. Surprisingly light too!
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2014, 07:31 AM
O2GO
Drifting

New steering joint arrived along with a couple of parts needed for the Boxster to get it's warrant of fitness.
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2014, 07:35 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Wheel carrier photographed before I stripped it and sent it off to Europacific to crack testing and a new wheel bearing as a precaution. The old bearing was less than 2 years old.

Steve reports that it looks good but was waiting for the dye to dry to double check for any cracks. I hope not as new they cost about NZ$4,500 and a good second hand one is about NZ$1,800. So fingers crossed.
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2014, 07:43 AM
O2GO
Drifting

We've been concerned that the steering rack was damaged by the impact on the right front wheel which broke the wishbone and steering U joint. The steering rack works well but is a tiny biit rough feeling on the right end of the shaft when turning it back and forward. So I took the rack off today. What a difficult job getting it out from between the structural members. I loosened off the right hand wishbone carrier and that allowed the rack to slip out. I think I'll get expert help to reinstall it after it is refurbished.
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2014, 08:49 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

good to see this underway and making progress, Hope you are lucky with some of the parts not needing replacement so there is some budget for juicy upgrades. :-)
Old 09-21-2014, 01:38 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Thanks Graeme. I've been collecting a mood board of photos of ideas for some juicy upgrades... I need to held back as much as I can to get the main rebuild items covered off.

I'm trying to order a set of these carbon air ducts from an Austrian company www.kult-werk.com rather than replace the busted fog ligts and the silly little bits of accompanying reflective plastic that go with them.

http://www.cult-werk.com/k2/aktuelle...ur-porsche-964
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2014, 05:38 AM
O2GO
Drifting

More progress made today and another small win along the way.

Removed the strong light aluminium bumper reinforcement and Steve took a look at it when dropping in some parts tonight. He reckons they can straighten it with their press as it is looking not too bad.

The more I work on this car the greater appreciation I have for the design, quality and lightness of the parts and how well it is built.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2014, 05:45 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Removed the aircon fan shroud which is cracked in two places ready for taking to the plastic welder to make good.

Then I thought I'd tackle the leaking oil pipes under the oil tank. Very gunked up from a slow leak, I gave the area several good attacks with degreaser a stiff paintbrush and the garden hose (yep, in the garage). It's much cleaner now and i'll wait to see where the oil leak is coming from.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2014, 05:49 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I removed the left front calliper so that it could be cleaned up and repainted and set about cleaning them up with brake cleaner, a wire brush, rags and sandpaper. What a job. I'm definately going to need to have another good go at them or may check out sending them to Steve for bead blasting and new seals. The seals are dreadful.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2014, 05:53 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Here's my first upgrade. C4 4 pot rear callipers to replace the C2 2 pot ones. This will mean all 4 callipers take the same size pads with a greater range available. It will also help reduce heat (larger pad area) and add more stopping power.

They're in great condition. Next job is to prepare them for repainting.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2014, 05:58 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Jason, Steve has straightened, cleaned, pressure tested and lightly painted the oil cooler you gave me and it's got the thumbs up.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Rebuilding 964 Lola after my accident