Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding 964 Lola after my accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 11:27 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Passed my racing licence and had John, Dave and Ralf all came around afterwards to check on Lola's progress.

Right wheel carrier, suspension and steering all back on again.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2014, 01:38 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Front wheel back on in proper working order.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2014, 04:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Front wheel back on in proper working order.
Looking a bit Goodbye Pork Pie there Doug but all good!
Old 10-19-2014, 06:11 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Doug, today you were talking about a different style for the cup 2's, I found this tonight.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...lor-combo.html
Old 10-20-2014, 04:01 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Yes John, she's looking quite "special" right now :-P I really felt like fitting the oil lines and oil cooler on back on, filling her up and going for a blast down the road. Just a slight problem with that idea, no brakes.... Although there is always the hand brake. Tempting :-D

Dave, those wheels look gorgeous and are the look I was playing around in my head with. I was thinking of the dark grey but looking at these side-by-side the black ones look hot and would look wicked with the red.

Do you know what process they go through to polish the rim? I don't know much about this and thought I'd leave the rims in the metallic grey they're already painted but now thinking that wouldn't look as good as this polished look.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 339 Posts

I put my track wheels under the house. I wonder if I should get them back out and refinished like this. It looks great and I know the wheels are true.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:51 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I suppose it depends what you want to use them for. I found my track / targa wheels got a thrashing and after just a couple of years since they were refurbished by Steve they were looking pretty rough again... Lots of tar and grit stuck very hard to them and the like. With that said your frankensteins would look nice with a good paint job like this.

Reminds me, I was going to ask for recommendations on good quality wheel refurbishment (painting) around Auckland???
Old 10-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure of the process Doug, probably starts with a full strip, then the edges polished by the pro's, then the masking and center colour. Followed by an all over clear coat.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Not sure of the process Doug, probably starts with a full strip, then the edges polished by the pro's, then the masking and center colour. Followed by an all over clear coat.
Yip. Its a bitch of a job as the inside spokes have no clear line for the colour change to silver so require careful masking. Also I wouldnt polish the lip but have it left silver as it is - you wont want to see the ugly boggo under the wheel lips. Almost every wheel on the planet thats be used has been repaired in that regard at least once.

I had them quoted to a high quality standard before Dave got them and they were going to run me around $1200 the set.

Try those portable guys wheel fit it or something - they are cheaper and apparently very good.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:58 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Are you telling me you originally curbed my wheels Macca, then had them bogged up? (Ha ha)

So were they refurbed before they went to Dave?

They were in great nick but I had a stupid accident with one in my garage where it fell over while being wheeled along, straight oton its face on the concrete floor. The paint just fell off the impact zones. I was gutted with my stupidity. Was taking a shortcut when moving the stack of wheels from one side of the garage to another to make room. So, one needs some refurb work now anyway.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug, they were professionally refurbished at at cost of $1200 ($300 a wheel) just before I bought them. I never mounted tyres on them and they remained in boxes in my storage for years. I sold them to David for what they cost me. They were perfect, but underneath are 20 year old wheels have no doubt seen the odd curb I should think....

Sorry to hear about your accident. My advice is to paint both a frint and rear at the same time so you can use these on one side of the car. If you paint a single wheel its unlikely to match (or may show at a distance). Just a thought (actually Ive been through it with two cars so a bit more than a thought)....
Old 10-21-2014, 11:13 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

You may want to get it to the body shop before you fit up too many parts. if they do have to pull it on the rack the process is a bit medieval, blocks and chains and jacks and rams, they may have to take off a number of parts just to get to mounting points for the pull.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:54 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Good advice, thanks guys.

I'm keeping in touch with the panel shop to ensure I'm not doing too much before the car hits them. I need it on 4 wheels to get it onto a trailer and jockey it around into the panel shop.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:51 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Reminds me, I was going to ask for recommendations on good quality wheel refurbishment (painting) around Auckland???
Doug, nice to see her back on all fours. Contis recommended Wheelfixit in Glenfield. They were easy to deal with and did a good job on mine. If you go painted, ask for some touch up bottles too, as I did.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:35 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Thanks Walter.

Had a long chat with Steve at Europacific yesterday and the current plan is to move Lola into his body shop towards the end of November when he comes back from ths US. That suits me well as I will have run out of little bits and pieces to do by then.

ChrisM has been united with some toys I've ordered which he's bringin back for me. Looking forward to fitting up the new shifer and gpipe.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Rebuilding 964 Lola after my accident