Sponsored by:

Steering help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 03:31 AM
backitoff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering help

I reconditioned my rack recently, with the help and advice on this forum (superb as always). I also replaced the inner and outer track arms and rod ends and boots, so it is 'as good as it can be' All of the mechanical parts I used were Lemforder, which I consider to be good make.

The problem is, when i turn into a bend at reasonable speed, the car turns great, then as the corner progresses i have to apply a lot more steering. Its like there is some wear or play in a dead zone of the rack, but the actual mechanical parts of the rack (rack and pinion) are in great shape.

Anyone come across this issue, is it a characteristic of the car?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

No, that's not normal. A few questions for you

1) Do you have the same brand and model of tires on the front and back?

2) How recent is your alignment?

3) What tire pressures are you running?

4) Have you checked your suspension bushings?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:12 PM
backitoff
Instructor

Hi Rob
Michelin PS2 all round (new)
Alignment 1 week ago
36 front 44 rear
All new poly bushed
Everything is new or refurbed.
And new PSS10 all round
Hope you come up with some ideas?

Thanks
Allan
Old 09-17-2014, 04:25 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doubt this is related to your issue, but

Is your car still on 17in cups?

If so the pressures are way off at the rear, should be 36 all round
Old 09-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

What diameter tires/wheels do you have? Are they 16" or 17"? If you are running 16", then your tire pressures are fine. If they are 17", then you should be running 36psi front and back.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:42 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really? I have 17" cups and do the 36/44 with no perceived ill effects? What am I missing?

OP: Are we talking about understeer here? Or does it feel like the car's steering isn't reacting consistently? Do you have a C4? Are you invoking the rear diff lock?
Old 09-18-2014, 12:44 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Did you increase the caster when you put everything back together? Sounds like maybe you are running higher caster than before and therefore the difference?

Or is is a power steering issue? Hard to tell from the description if you are saying your power steering is the cause or if it's an alignment issue. 36-40 lbs pressure in the front tires wouldn't cause the steering to get noticeably heavier as you turn the wheel farther. That will only make a difference in over-all grip. But if you ran too high a pressure and had less grip as a result, your steering still wouldnt get heavier as you turn...
Old 09-18-2014, 07:15 AM
backitoff
Instructor

Originally Posted by tbennett017
Really? I have 17" cups and do the 36/44 with no perceived ill effects? What am I missing?

OP: Are we talking about understeer here? Or does it feel like the car's steering isn't reacting consistently? Do you have a C4? Are you invoking the rear diff lock?
Yes, 17" cups

It feels like it needs too much turn of the steering wheel in relation to turn effect of the car. Initial turn of the wheel is fine but if you need to add more steering to go around the bend, you need to turn the steering wheel a lot. It does fee like understeer, but I'm not going fast enough to invoke understeer.

I drove it last night and was a bit more aggressive with my steering input. IE I turned later and harder in order to load up the front more and it seemed much better. Perhaps I need to adapt my driving style?

No its C2.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:55 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Freedman says, you should be 36 psi all round for 17 inch tyres. The increased pressure you have at the rear will increase understeer. However saying that, it is probably more of a driving style thing that you are experiencing. Once you're in the turn adding more steering while on steady throttle doesn't do a lot because the weight will be back on the rear (the rear of a 911 will be dominating the line through the turn). To turn more whilst within the turn you need to ease back on the throttle to get some weight on the front so that the front tyres can dominate the turn.

These are same principles I've been taught for track driving. In fact, I've experienced at first hand that adding more lock when cornering can actually create more understeer. In this situation using the throttle to steer the car and taking some the steering lock off is the way to get round a corner quickly to prevent running wide on the exit.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I still don't understand. Are we talking about "at speed" where you are actually experiencing wheel slip or are you feeling this driving around town...

My understanding from the original post is that you are feeling it at slow speed...

Quick Reply: Steering help