Sponsored by:

Rear blower causing rev related whine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 04:22 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear blower causing rev related whine?

Hi everyone,

When my rear blower is connected I get a whining noise that changes with the revs of the engine. When I disconnect the rear blower it stops. Sometimes it doesn't start until around 2000rpms. I can hear the whining noise in the engine bay - it's not coming through the car speakers.

I'm thinking that it's the alternator that could be causing this - has anyone else experienced the same?

Thanks!

Andrew
Old 09-16-2014, 04:34 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Is it like a wind whistling noise? I have that type of noise that also stops when I unplug the rear blower.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:38 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, it's a high pitch whine - not loud, just there! It stared after I had the alternator replaced, but I don't know if that was a coincidence or if something in my blower was damaged when my old alternator lunched itself!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:09 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Had the same happen, after I replaced the paper ducts by the footwells. I thought I had misaligned the ducts, replaced them again, but still get a whine. It stopsd when I unplugged the blower motor though.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Johannvb
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I too have this whining noise, I would love to know what's causing it.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:26 AM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is probably NOT your heater blower, but rather your engine fan belt sensor.

They die pretty commonly, you can take them apart and clean them, even tie them back out of the way to stop the noise--but god forbid your belt actually break--because you won't notice until you cook the motor.

Lol, this one is PARTICULARLY worn
Old 09-16-2014, 10:33 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

The nosie stops when I unplug the rear blower, so not the belt sensor (unfortunately!). I've checked that to be sure anyway.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:44 AM
neffets
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about the bearings in the blower, if you turn heat off and fan to 0 the rear blower should turn off.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

the whine changes with the engine revs, so it's not the actual blower motor or it's bearings. It's got to be something electrical that's causing it.

Keep the suggestions coming though!!
Old 09-16-2014, 11:00 AM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Well, the blower motor has nothing to do with engine speed or revs, so my only thought is that you have air being sucked into the engine fan which then ducts over to the heater blower that is escaping somewhere. Either at this junction

Or at the other end where it meets the heat exchangers. Or possibly where the resistor or temp sensor fit into the duct along the pipe.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, the plot thickens..

This morning after going on a run to take my son to school I disconnected the blower power lead and the noise stopped - this was after putting the car in the garage without me stopping the engine. I've just been to take the below video and after starting the car again unplugging the blower doesn't stop the noise now, which makes me wonder if it's a charging thing since I'd just started the car. I'll try test the same thing tomorrow morning again to see if I can replicate it!

If you listen carefully you should be able to hear the noise. George and Johan - Is this the same as you're getting?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Igaffz
Rennlist Member

The fan hub bearing whines when it's worn? If the alternators been off and the belts retentioned the bearing can whine.

Ian
Old 09-16-2014, 03:12 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Last edited by GeorgeK; 05-01-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Roe
OK, the plot thickens..

This morning after going on a run to take my son to school I disconnected the blower power lead and the noise stopped - this was after putting the car in the garage without me stopping the engine. I've just been to take the below video and after starting the car again unplugging the blower doesn't stop the noise now, which makes me wonder if it's a charging thing since I'd just started the car. I'll try test the same thing tomorrow morning again to see if I can replicate it!

If you listen carefully you should be able to hear the noise. George and Johan - Is this the same as you're getting?
Just listened to your video and am wondering if its fan-belt related rather than air. The cooling system can't generate a lot of pressure (by design) so leaks shouldn't whistle and, as you say, it's not there when the blower is unplugged. Try misting the fan belts with some water.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:37 AM
Johannvb
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
On mine, the noise, is very much a whistling one, like an air draft, and engine speed dependent. It does stop when I unplug the blower. It is not the belt tension thingy, I have checked it. It isn't the rubber connection on top of the alternator shroud either. Checked that too.

Andy, like in your vid, but very much audible in the car when driving.
Mine is also audible inside the car while driving at highway speeds. When I set my fan on 0 and temp on 16 it seems to disapear...

Quick Reply: Rear blower causing rev related whine?