Mid-Weight flywheel kits

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:58 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Mid-Weight flywheel kits

Hi Gentlemen (and ladies, of course),

I'm not sure how many people read the 993 Forums, but in the event that some don't, one of that forum's members took it upon himself to be the point man on this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...make-them.html

I think I've answered most of the questions that people might pose, but if there are more, please send me a direct e-mail and I'll do my level best to address them.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming,
Old 09-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Wow...wish I were due for a clutch...

Thanks for the head up Steve.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:38 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Goughary
Wow...wish I were due for a clutch...

Thanks for the head up Steve.
You are quite welcome.

Hopefully, this product will save somebody some grief.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Well more than that..it'll probably make someone a whole lot of fun...
Old 09-15-2014, 08:50 PM
mfinanthony
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we're in the 964 forum, is the RS LWFW a big issue with our cars? I've been in the planning stages for a new clutch / flywheel and haven't seen/read much on stalling being an big issue and that an ECU chip upgrade can be an easy fix to it.

Any added input on this is much appreciated.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:47 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by mfinanthony
Since we're in the 964 forum, is the RS LWFW a big issue with our cars? I've been in the planning stages for a new clutch / flywheel and haven't seen/read much on stalling being an big issue and that an ECU chip upgrade can be an easy fix to it.

Any added input on this is much appreciated.
The LWF works very well, however the 964 & '95 993's engine management just lacks sufficient resolution & memory to have all the fuel maps that the later OBD-II cars have that prevents stalling.

Custom chips certainly do help, however as good as they are, these are not perfect which is why the MWF was designed and manufactured. The added weight provides just enough inertia to prevent the stalling unless there are resident issues such as vacuum leaks, old oxysensors, AFM problems, and old ignition parts.

The MWF has proven to be a slam-dunk for fixing the stalling, while still providing improved engine throttle response and better durability than the dual-mass one.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:55 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have two 964 at my house. The 91 coupe is definitely quicker off the line from a dead stop. The car almost wants to light up the tires. My 91 targa with the motor from my cab, is not as fast off the line. It has a new clutch installed by me and I know it has a DMF. The quicker coupe I am not sure what it has as it has not been out yet by me to look. It makes no noise, or stalling issues. I wonder if it has a LWF. If the coupe does not have a LWF then I need to go back to targa and maybe look into it not running as perfect as I thought. (Yes both dist are working) etc. It sometimes breaks up at 5500 rpm and then it feels like a turbo kick the rest of the way to redline. Maybe fuel injector swap/clean. I dunno... Any way to tell LWF while in the car? It will need a clutch at some point and I love the idea of the MWF. I hope this thread gets the ball rolling on even more then the ten being ordered for us annoying "down the road guys".
Old 09-19-2014, 01:10 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As always - Steve's work is top shelf so if you've ever considered doing the LWF but been concerned about potential issues, I highly recommend this kit. You won't find better technical chops or customer support.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:37 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by greg1990964
It sometimes breaks up at 5500 rpm and then it feels like a turbo kick the rest of the way to redline.
That's the resonance flap.

Originally Posted by greg1990964
Any way to tell LWF while in the car?
Stick your iphone up in there and post a photo clearly showing the motronic timing ring and the starter ring gear. In addition to the difference in the level of corrosion , the DMF is quite a bit thicker than the LWF...
Old 09-19-2014, 02:55 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good. I will post a pic. Residence flap huh? Not the AFM. So what is it doing you think? Not opening enough? I will have to read up on the flap. Never dealt with one before. Maybe time to actually open up Adrian's book on the garage shelf.

Quick Reply: Mid-Weight flywheel kits