Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D. Moris Hardtop for 964

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 03:42 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

Wow, didn't realize that was a convertible in your other post. Looks great.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:23 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just saw your relier post. Very, very nice look and very nice work on the install. I will raise you one 993 with an extra d.moris piece:

Name:  Front-Right.jpg
Views: 3984
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0459_zps364fd3e5.jpg
Views: 3034
Size:  47.7 KB
Old 10-31-2014, 07:38 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

^^ That's awesome, and I'm such a tool for not having put mine on yet. That said, today is the first rainy day in a LONG time. So hard to put a top on when the weather is perfect.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:23 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

600RR - love it, the speedster humps look great. ThT is my next step as it is easier than converting back to the cab. Where did you obtain hardware ?? What did you do for a top? Or do you have one. I have obtained the front can windshield mount and was thinking of making something like the new Boxer uses as a snap on top.
Looks great, was wondering what the speedster look would be like with the taller windshield - GREAT
Old 10-31-2014, 09:20 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

dhc: We should get together sometime to discuss ways to make the A-Pillar bolts a bit easier to get to. I am in San Jose area.

Gus: The whole kit for the rear cowl came from d.moris. There really isn't much to it, as it connects similar to the hardtop. I do NOT have a top underneath it (yet?) and it doesn't pivot like a speedster cowl. I keep putting off thinking about how to rig a soft top underneath. I think that speedster hardware could be adapted. I like your thinking about tyne Boxster. Essentially the top is just a protection in the case of rain. I have used a pulley system to put the hardtop on without a second set of hands.

This is my first foray onto the 964 forum - you guys do some cool thinking. Gotta check in more frequently.

Let me know if you get a solution - I'll do the same.

Sid
Old 10-31-2014, 09:44 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

600RR - The hardtop and hump look fantastic on your 993.

Gus - I've been toying with getting a Speetster hump but I'd like a top in case of emergencies, and I too have though of the Boxster type top. For attachment points, I am sure that Boxster Spyder style hooks could be integrated in the hump for the rear, but the tricky part would be to figure out a header that would be able to fit under the hump when not in use and be strong enough to remain in place at freeway speeds.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:29 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

600RR - Well welcome to the "964 side". Glad you stopped in for a visit. Good ideas, I want to make the speedster humps workable so you have access to the rear area easily. Have also thought about throwing in a Boxster like roll bar as I think that would look better with the humps than the full cross over roll that I have. I designed my bar to bolt on, so it is an easy out once roof is removed.
HPMM - the Boxster Spyder to I am think of should all fit under the humps. The stock windshield cross piece is about 46 inches wide. The widest point in the rear area is right behind the seat at about 48 inches. That would be the only hard part on the top. The rest would be canvas/fabric and clear flexible plastic. All would have to be custom made to fold up and the frame designed to come apart and fit in the boot. Kind of like the MGB top. Or option 2 - is to incorporate a roll bar and add additional braces to the bar to support the top.
All ideas working. Stay in touch - need to finish my hard top and interior trim before I start on the speedster look.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:37 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Gus: I like your creative thinking. I'll take a look at the speedster bump hardware with the thought that a Boxter top might work. Would be great tp have that in reserve, as the soft top on/off is a PITA. This is fun stuff.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:13 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

600RR - very cool that you're in SJ - I'm up in Walnut Creek. Wanted to take the porsche out to dinner yesterday and the wife was saying well if you got that damn top out of our living room, we can take your car. But I'm not messing up my hair and freezing.

I'm picking up some parts from Sonnen today that will require me to open the door card on the driver side so I plan on fixing the windows (I replaced the switch on the driver side door and somehow in the process broke the switch for the passenger side window) while I'm in there.

Shoot me a PM if you're ever in the neighborhood or want to go for a drive in Marin or up Mt. Diablo or the Berkeley hills. All awesome driving.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:25 PM
NoSub Dan
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It's here

Okay, it's finally here. I can't tell you guys how much of a pain it was to get it here but I'll give you the short version. First, you wire the money. No credit cards. Then you wait...and wait. They don't communicate with you at all. Finally a month goes by and you get an e-mail with some tracking info. The day it was to arrive at the airport it wasn't there. It was flagged by customs in Philly and held up another week. When it does come in they ask if it's worth more than 2000 dollars. You say yes, so now you need a broker. Oh, and customs wants another look in Jacksonville. So the 495 I paid in shipping is bumped another 200 for duties and whatever. But it's here.
Attached Images      
Old 11-05-2014, 04:30 PM
NoSub Dan
Racer

Default So here we go.

It's being painted now so I decided to have my hood sprayed while I'm at it. Of course they found some rust at the lower corner below the windshield so we're taking care of that too. Probably everything will be done by next Tuesday. Will keep everyone posted. I cant wait to see the result.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:43 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Gorgeous, makes me want to buy one. Regarding customs, I went through the same thing when I purchased GT2 seats from someone in Canada, except that the morons opened the crate to make sure it was legit and managed to scratch the carbon back of one of the seats. Of course, they denied it.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:51 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

the quality looks impressive. what are your first thoughts after unwrapping it?
Old 11-05-2014, 04:58 PM
NoSub Dan
Racer

Default customs

Yeah they cracked a piece that covers the opening left on in inside below the side windows. Dicks.
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2014, 05:00 PM
NoSub Dan
Racer

It looks really good. I thought the interior side was stitched fake leather but it's fiberglass as well! So it's hallow inside. They give you the option of insulation but I didn't get it. I may regret that.
The following users liked this post:
Babyb3nz (11-16-2020)

Quick Reply: D. Moris Hardtop for 964