964 cab roof adjust/align

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Flashtv
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 964 cab roof adjust/align

Hello all,
Haven't posted in ages but been reading thoroughly lately and fixed some other idle and stalling issues. Last week the cab roof began to suddenly act up, strange moaning and groaning sounds as the roof operated to I left it up and began to read on here for symptoms and solutions. I have checked the transmissions for operation, electrical and switches seem good, no breakages yet and it appears to me at half position it is simply not level or lined up. So my question is how could this have suddenly changed and how to I safely re-align the roof so it op's smooth and quiter again? I was playing a bit with the larger nut connecting the arm to the tranny and found Pax side a bit loose so it's now tight but drivers side is where the slump is, unless pax side is too high. It lines and and closes fine and latches operate fine too, I just think the roof is out of alignment and will travel smoother and quieter with adjustment. I tried loosening the tranny nut on drivers side to muscle the roof a bit higher but there's not much play so I tightened all back up. I will say there is a difference between the lower brass adjustment nuts below the tranny from pax to drivers side. I will try to post some pics shortly. Thank you in advance guys,
Old 08-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Flashtv
Advanced

So here are some pics of the slanted roof, which I levelled a bit with the larger tranny bolt and also the difference in settings between the two side lower brass adjustment nuts.

Driver side obviously too low, or pax too high

This is the drivers side

This is the pax side
Old 08-18-2014, 07:45 PM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you check drive cable lengths at the rear motors behind the rear seats?
At a guess I would say the left side cable has become shorter and thus not fully engaged causing the left side of the roof to be lower.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:18 PM
Flashtv
Advanced

I did consider that in all my readings here, not sure yet how to access and check them, would that effect the level the roof pulls in or retracts at? It's not groaning as much after I tried a bit of adjusting the arms then tightening the drivers side nut onto the tranny. Been looking for some good posts and DIY with pics on all you mentioned,mom also a fan of cleaning and re-lubricatng as I go too. After all it's a 24 yr old car.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Flashtv
Advanced

New day, new focus, and energy. As g60pops suggested I'm now investigating the drivers side tranny, and that cable length issue I've read lots about between here and pelican. Thank you g60pops for some guidance. All seems good, tight and in tact at the tranny end but I inspected and cleaned up anyways, all bolts and screws were tight too. Now back at the motor behind the seat I've removed the clip, freed the cable and found only 1/4 inch of cable exposed which seems a bit short? So based on readings I will attempt to increase the cable exposed. Will try to attach a pic of what I found.

Only 1/4 inch exposed so I'll open it more
Old 08-19-2014, 08:49 PM
Flashtv
Advanced

Issues solved and roof back to happy again! Good thing there were lots of posts to refer to because I only had one reply with advice, good advice too. At the end of the day i cut back 1/4 inch more sheathing on the drivers side motor cable to give lots into the rear seat motor. Then began the process of playing with alignment using the brass top and bottom nuts to get them close and the forward roof pins landing nicely and releasing nicely too. I also took apart the pax side latch motor to ensure no broken gear teeth. Gear was all good and well lubed, so after parts cleanup and lots of tiny back and forth adjusting of the brass upright nuts the roof is lined up, not moaning and closing/releasing nicely. Boy what an adventure! Kind of feel like I'm writing to myself here but I see there's been many views so hopefully this may help someone else down the road. Until next time. Now we drive!
Old 08-20-2014, 03:48 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Good to hear that all is now sorted. So to get your front roof pins to land properly you adjusted the brass top and bottom nuts on both sides (that are showing in your pics)?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:47 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by g60pops
Good to hear that all is now sorted. So to get your front roof pins to land properly you adjusted the brass top and bottom nuts on both sides (that are showing in your pics)?
Not read for a few days but TSBs for hood adjustments are here:

Last edited by Harry Apps; 10-02-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Flashtv
Advanced

Hi guys, sorry for the delay. was away in the country side with the family. Yes I ended up using the side brass nuts top and bottom to get it dialled in and landing nice, as you said. Since most of the earlier latching stickiness had been on the pax side I also ended up removing and cleaning up that front latching motor also. All in all everything gets a good cleaning as I touch it.
Thank you Harry Apps for the links!
Old 07-29-2019, 11:24 AM
Kitno
3rd Gear

Hi Harry,

I seem to have the same problem, and your link is gone.
Can you send it to me?

tx

Jan

Quick Reply: 964 cab roof adjust/align